The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
stacey7710
Anyone own an old home?
January 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM

My Dh and I are looking to buy a house.It is 104 years old.  It has been completely remodeled and has all new electrical and plumbing. I was reading on the sellers disclaimer that it says the basement leaks but only during real heavy rains.  Now I'm very concerned about this but my Dh says most old homes will leak in the basement some but my hubby loves this house and may just be telling me crap lol I don't know for sure. I'm from south Florida and there aren't many homes that are this old to begin with more less that have basements. So my question is .... is this a common thing and if so how big of a deal is it? Thanks, I appreciate any info.

Replies

• numonestunar
    January 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    I would get someone to inspect the foundation.
  • stacey7710
    January 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM

If we get that far on it I plan on an inspection but we just looked at it the other day and I don't want to pursue something that far if it isn't worth it from the get go.

• numonestunar
    January 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    Foundation problems can set you back tens of thousands.
    Most likely the house needs new waterproofing. That will cost a couple
    grand to have it done well.
  • stacey7710
    January 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Ok thanks :-)

• MrsNewman
    January 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Is the basement finished? Growing up our basement leaked during the heavy rains and it drove my mom crazy. Our basement was finished and they tried for yrs to stop the leak and it still leaks to this day. lol 

• SoKamele
    January 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM

My house is 213 years old...........

The "basement" has mostly a dirt floor......we have a sump pump. Yes the basement has flooded.

Really it can happen in any house...........

• BewitchedKisses
    January 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I live in PA, a lot of the homes here are that old. If the basement leaks, it can be a huge problem. Our old house was built in 1906 and the basement leaked. Our landlord had to pay a few grand to get the basement resealed. But the basement was a source of woe for us in general. The pipes under the basement were all old terra cotta and burst.. half of the basement was finished at one point, and half was not. There were old coal chutes that would let the rain in, the cellar door rotted from the water leakage. We could never keep anything in the basement at all and my washer and dryer had to be up on cinder blocks because of the water.

When the landlord got it sealed, three months later Hurricane Irene came through and the basement flooded because of the Hurricane. It was a never ending battle. My friend that lives there now says the basement still gets watery from time to time, but not nearly as bad as it used to be.

I would have it inspected before you buy it.

• stacey7710
    January 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM

No the basement isn't finished. It has a little section that is where the washer and dryer are but most of it isn't and it isn't something we would want to do.

• stacey7710
    January 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Does it cause issuses with mold or anything like that? It isn't a finished basement but I thought it would be a good place to store stuff.

• stacey7710
    January 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I don't know if it had anything like coal chutes or anything like that. It had a fireplace but for whatever reason they've closed it off. We haven't got that far into it but if we try to purchase it I plan on an inspection mainly because all of this basement and fireplace stuff is foreign to me!

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts