The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
supermom0609
my son is getting worse
January 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Last may my 6 then 5 yr old was informerly diagnosed with adhd and after alot of thinking we decided to put him on medicine. he takes 5mg focalin xr. everything was good up until a few months ago. he is gotten more agressive,doesnt want his brother to make any noise what so ever and screams at him if he does,throws things,hits,whinier,crys about everything. i have an appointment set up for an eeg and physcometeic testing feb.25th but im not sure i.can wait that long

Replies

• supermom0609
    January 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    Bump
  • Dzyre1115
    January 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM

My mother treated my sister without medication by limiting sugar, food coloring, processed foods and with consistent and firm discipline.  Medication is not a cure all!

• mommy2boys03
    January 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM

did he grow? He might need a med adjustment already

• frndlyfn
    January 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM

How can he be put on medication if he is inFORMALly diagnosed with something?   What are your discipline methods set in place?  I would get an official diagnosis and from there see if there is a group in your area that supports parents with children who have adhd so you can gain some other perspectives on what discipline works best.  Have you tried the caffeine treatment with him at all?   He could have sensory issues as well.

• supermom0609
    January 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    Believe me ive went over this in my head for a long time debating medicine or not. he is just too.agressive and just very difficult to deal with even on medicine but he is 10 times worse without it.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My mother treated my sister without medication by limiting sugar, food coloring, processed foods and with consistent and firm discipline.  Medication is not a cure all!

• supermom0609
    January 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    I brought him to the doctor they had me fill out a form and his teacher and the symptoms matched so they recommended i.put him on meds and he was getting in trouble in school every day

Quoting frndlyfn:

How can he be put on medication if he is inFORMALly diagnosed with something?   What are your discipline methods set in place?  I would get an official diagnosis and from there see if there is a group in your area that supports parents with children who have adhd so you can gain some other perspectives on what discipline works best.  Have you tried the caffeine treatment with him at all?   He could have sensory issues as well.

• Love.My.Soldier
    January 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    My son has had to have meds changed over the years. It happens. I would definitely try and help without medication as well. Take out soda, artificial colors and sweeteners, possibly gluten. Also look into ABA therapy. That has been life changing for our family!
  • supermom0609
    January 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    He was on 7.5 and his teacher brought it to our attention he was too zoned out and wasent participating in the class activities and recommended we drop it down to.5 so we did and she said he was participating more

Quoting mommy2boys03:

did he grow? He might need a med adjustment already

• supermom0609
    January 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    What is aba therapy?

Quoting Love.My.Soldier:

My son has had to have meds changed over the years. It happens. I would definitely try and help without medication as well. Take out soda, artificial colors and sweeteners, possibly gluten. Also look into ABA therapy. That has been life changing for our family!

• D.O.E.
    by D.O.E.
    January 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM

take him off the meds and get him either therapy, and a strict diet, routine, and discipline, or if he really does need meds, how about pill for thc? 

most meds used to "make kids behave" chemically alter the brain, essentially, making the initial problem worse. 

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts