The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
NDADanceMom
Does anyone have a use for old TVs?
December 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I have 3 working TVs that are in my basement taking up space.  They are the old analog type.  We used to keep them around to hook up games or dvd players to.  One by one they have been replaced by flat screen digital TVs.  They do work so I feel odd about throwing them out but I really have no use for them.  

Is there any point in trying to find a person who will take them (Id love it since disposing of TVs costs money around here) or do I have to face facts and if I dont want them, nobody else does either?

The same goes for a foot locker full of vhs tapes.  Mainly kids tapes from when my 17 year old was a pre schooler.  Anywhere that these could go?  Does anyone have anything to play these on?  There must be 50 or more disney movies alone that are headed to the garbage. 

I hate wasting perfectly good stuff but at some point its got to get out of my way. 

Replies

• duejan13th
    December 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    If you wanna ship them ill take the vhs
  • pinkjimmies06
    December 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM

We still have a few older tube TVs - they are in the bedrooms, and office. People will take them if you leave them on the curb or list them free on craigslist - if they work.

• NDADanceMom
    December 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Quoting duejan13th:

if you lived in my area id drive them to you but it would cost more than the tapes are worth to ship them.  

• duejan13th
    December 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    :)

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting duejan13th:

if you lived in my area id drive them to you but it would cost more than the tapes are worth to ship them.  

• strictmomhere
    December 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    My friend has a vcr still she would love the disney movies:-)
  • Cafe Robin
    December 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I don't think anyone wants those things anymore.  The place where we always drop off donations has a sign asking people not to leave tvs or monitors... they don't want old books either. I guess they're just heavy, take up space and not in demand. The old tvs don't connect to the new cable systems and most people don't have vhs players anymore.... Kids books are easy to donate but adults are now reading on kindles, etc... I'd just dump them even though it seems like someone, somewhere should want them.  That's what I did.  brought everything to the dump.

• 25beengoodtome
    February 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Call a TV repair shop near you. Sometimes they come and collect those old models for an interesting display in their shop. It won't hurt to make the call.

• WillVon
    by WillVon
    February 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    I have a huge projection tv. Extremely obnoxious big box tv haha, but it works fine so I use it.
  • FooLynRoo
    February 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

great tax right offs when you donate them.

• angie944
    February 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Donate them to goodwill or relegious thrift stores... People will buy those that cant afford flat screens! =) 

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN