The CafeMom Newcomers Club

ninipanini
Does your town do this?
December 30, 2012 at 7:22 AM

For about 20 years now, one of the local attorneys in town, pays for cab rides to people who've had too much to drink.

They do it from Dec 1 through till about 1am on new years day.

now there are 3 attorneys in town that offer the service

Is there a free ride home in your town during the holidays?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 53% - Yes
  2. 42% - No
  3. 4% - Other

Replies

• momma-flynn
    December 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    We have it here. The agency dh works for also has the "dwi taxi". The front half is painted like a patrol car & the back half like a taxi.
  • ninipanini
    December 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM

that's even better, that they take your car home, too

Quoting mommy2nicky07:

I live in San Diego and they are putting up flyers everywhere saying AAA will be giving free rides on NYE. They will also take your car home for free.

• ninipanini
    December 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Hauptman Obrien does it, for the last 20 or 30 years, it's not  "city sponsored" service

i've lived here my whole life and i remember when they first started it

now there are couple different offices that offer to pay for your ride home

Quoting LexJaxKar:

Quoting spastic_poodle:

Yes... but I'm also in Nebraska (Omaha area.) Have you ever actually used the service? I'd like to try but always feel like there must be a catch or something.

Omaha has it? I use to live there and never heard of them having it. They just recently start it?

• ninipanini
    December 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Here, it's not the cab service that gives free rides, the local atty office picks up the tab, so it's still a bonanza for the local cab company(both  of them, LOL)

Quoting SuperPickle:

We have one cab service in my town and it is VERY expensive.....New Years is a bonanza for them(and usually a 3-4 hour minimum wait time), I doubt they would ever offer a free ride....The main(and largest) social gathering spot does have a shuttle service that is pretty flexible with drop offs, especially on holidays

• RyansMommie07
    December 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM

no, but AAA does. everywhere, from what i understand... and they tow ur car home too from what im told. i work nye, so i havent actually had to use it

• thatgirl70
    December 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM

No idea. Since we don't go out to the bars it's not something we need so I don't keep up.

• ninipanini
    December 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM

they'll pick you up from anywhere in town, not just bars...if you go out to eat and both have a two glasses of wine, in the month of December, call a cab service and one of the local atty offices will pick up the tab.  take you home, safely.

Quoting thatgirl70:

No idea. Since we don't go out to the bars it's not something we need so I don't keep up.

• Evenstar.
    December 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    1am seems a little early to stop
  • tiarra7022
    December 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM

No but we did have one bar that went out and bought a small bus and used it for that reason but only for ppl drinking there. I think its a good idea and will save lives

• bcauseimthemom
    December 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM

That is amazing.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts