ninipanini
Does your town do this?
December 30, 2012 at 7:22 AM

For about 20 years now, one of the local attorneys in town, pays for cab rides to people who've had too much to drink.

They do it from Dec 1 through till about 1am on new years day.

now there are 3 attorneys in town that offer the service

Is there a free ride home in your town during the holidays?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 53% - Yes
  2. 42% - No
  3. 4% - Other

Replies

• ninipanini
    December 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM

It doesn't have to be a ride from a bar.  They offer it through December so if you go to a xmas party and have 2 drinks and don't want to drive home, you can call specific cab companies and they'll drive you for free.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

I think they do on certain days. I don't frequent bars tho so I don't know for sure.

• TableforSeven
    December 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM

That's a nice idea....keep innocent people on the roads safe.  I doubt that was offered by anyone where we lived in the USA. At least I never heard of it.

where we are now no one drives on holidays...so there is no need for such a service.  And there are very few holidays where anyone drinks more than a single glass of wine anyway.

• pinkcoffeecup
    December 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Our county does that on New Years Eve.  County transit has free rides from like 7pm-the end of service for the day.  It's sponsored by Miller Brewing.

• LexJaxKar
    December 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM

No, but when the bars close theres 3 cops on all sides of the bars "hiding" waiting to nail drunk drivers.

• kjbennett26
    December 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    One of the big attorneys in town does it on major holidays.
  • mommy2nicky07
    December 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I live in San Diego and they are putting up flyers everywhere saying AAA will be giving free rides on NYE. They will also take your car home for free.

• LexJaxKar
    December 30, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Quoting spastic_poodle:

Yes... but I'm also in Nebraska (Omaha area.) Have you ever actually used the service? I'd like to try but always feel like there must be a catch or something.

Omaha has it? I use to live there and never heard of them having it. They just recently start it?

• SuperPickle
    December 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM

We have one cab service in my town and it is VERY expensive.....New Years is a bonanza for them(and usually a 3-4 hour minimum wait time), I doubt they would ever offer a free ride....The main(and largest) social gathering spot does have a shuttle service that is pretty flexible with drop offs, especially on holidays

• ccmvm
    by ccmvm
    December 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM

military here and we have something called AADD (airmen against drunk drivers) all year round. oncall volunteers who are willing to drive your drunk ass home ;)

• momofnate0707
    December 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Texas does! It is run by AAA. They run from 6pm-6am New Years Eve/Day.