The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
ninipanini
Does your town do this?
December 30, 2012 at 7:22 AM

For about 20 years now, one of the local attorneys in town, pays for cab rides to people who've had too much to drink.

They do it from Dec 1 through till about 1am on new years day.

now there are 3 attorneys in town that offer the service

Is there a free ride home in your town during the holidays?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 53% - Yes
  2. 42% - No
  3. 4% - Other

Replies

• bebe_ju-rah
    January 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Its not a local thing here, its AAA. Whether you have them or not, you call their 800# and they send you a prepaid cab.
  • Jessy76
    by Jessy76
    January 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM

There are a few businesses here in Denver that offer it but also the company I work for does it for employee and families members of employees. As a non-drinker it isn't an issue for myself but since I have kids who are of age I make sure to let them know about it. Plus they know I will ALWAYS go pick them up.

• Kat31
    by Kat31
    January 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    There is one cab company in town and it doesn't pick people up at bars or anytime after about 9 pm.
  • kayelynnesmommy
    January 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    Your area sounds just like mine. Our whole county is dry and you have to drive to one of the surrounding areas to buy booze the taxis charge an arm and a leg to come out here anyway. I love it. I love small town life!

Quoting NDADanceMom:

lol no.  im in mn 

Quoting kayelynnesmommy:

Are you in AL. Because this was my answer.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I live in a dry town.  There is no public sales of alcohol.  There is no house in town that cant be walked to.  There are only about 70 houses and the town is less than a square mile. 

• NDADanceMom
    January 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Its a little like going back in time when I come home.  I dont think about letting my kids outside.  They are free to go anywhere.   Even at 4 they can walk down to the store with their pennies and get a tootsie roll or something else on their own.  I rarely see cars as we can all walk to the butcher shop, grocery (smaller than most gas stations), post office and bank.  If my kids need a haircut I say, "go see if mindy is home and give her these cookies if she will cut your hair."  Mindy works at a high priced salon an hour away.  When the electric in the garage was acting up I told my kids to go ask kenny to come over.  I trade a home cooked meal (kenny is a retired electrician and widower) for an hours worth of work.  

When my husband works on a project in the yard all the men in town seem to wander over at some point and they all work together to get it done.  Then they may notice that Miss Katherine (a widow) has leaves that need to be raked and hedges that need trimming so they all go do that as miss katherine whips up some lemonade and her famous sugar cookies.  We all work together as a team taking care of each other.  

I know everyone in town and they know me, my parents, my grandparents, my great grandparents.  On sunday mornings the church bell rings 15 minutes before service so everyone in town knows when to start walking.  Its a simple life and I can be to minneapolis in an hour if I want a taste of that too. 

Quoting kayelynnesmommy:

Your area sounds just like mine. Our whole county is dry and you have to drive to one of the surrounding areas to buy booze the taxis charge an arm and a leg to come out here anyway. I love it. I love small town life!

Quoting NDADanceMom:

lol no.  im in mn 

Quoting kayelynnesmommy:

Are you in AL. Because this was my answer.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I live in a dry town.  There is no public sales of alcohol.  There is no house in town that cant be walked to.  There are only about 70 houses and the town is less than a square mile. 

• darcibeisheim
    January 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM

we don't even have public transportation... and our town is only 3 miles long and we only have one public bar

• Fairegirl33
    January 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM

AAA does it but my town doesn't

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN