The CafeMom Newcomers Club

o0gone0o
How to discipline a spirited child?
December 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I have 3 kids, all rather young and each one very different from the other. My oldest is 5, he was such a laid back baby, never got into anything didn't have to childproof, my DD is 3, she was getting into things but you could quickly get her to back off and leave it alone,  but my youngest is 20months and stubborn as can be. DD is stubborn but youngest DS is quite the spit fire. I've tried redirecting, the slap on the hand, time out,  positive reinforcement so forth and nothing stops him from creating destruction.

He's smart boy is he smart, he figured out how to move things including chairs to climb to the things he wants, he rips up paper, he figured out doorknobs, luckily he can't reach the locks yet on the exterior doors. He is a rough and tumble kind of kid nothing seems to phase him. He jumps off things and belly flops on the floor gets up laughing and does it again, so I'm thinking I need more creative ideas to get him to stop.  

I'm at my wits end. I know he's just a baby still but I also know that its possible to teach kiddo's his age what is definitely not okay to be doing. HELP PLEASE!

Replies

• frndlyfn
    December 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Hot stove, while you are cooking, put his hand near the steam of the food cooking and say HOT, OWIE in a firm voice.

• LadySaphira
    December 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Duct tape and rope? LOL Sorry I have no real advice. I have one like that who is now 15 and he still high energy and always doing something. If you figure out a way to make it stop please tell me!

• ccmvm
    by ccmvm
    December 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM

my DD was just like this and now at 4, STILL IS! She is also autistic so that is a whole other thing to add that makes any sort os discipline or redirecting difficult. I really don't have much advice because my DD has never slowed down or learned not to do a damn thing...still climbs everything, still destructive, still runs away and pretty much just wild lol.

People are quick to blame the parent but unless you have a child as spirited as mine, you have no idea. Trust me people, it's not me, i have a DS (18m) who is NOTHING like his sister and we parent them the same KWIM? She just has a special kind of SPUNK about her. I just pray that this particular quality will some day be a positive thing. Maybe she will win an olympic gold medal for gymnastics LOL i don't know, but for now I try my best to stay sane and raise her as best I could!

Good Luck!

• mamakenzi
    December 30, 2012 at 2:09 AM
    DD is a spit for as well. I spank and it is effective for immediate results for things that can harm her, some days I think her butt and brain are connected. I have found that in general as long as I keep her busy (giving a specific task) then it helps keep her out of trouble.
  • NDADanceMom
    December 30, 2012 at 7:20 AM

yes,  Im a parent of 3 kids.   My youngest is strong willed but I dont hit her.  I didnt want to give her any ideas.  Kids are the great copiers, kids who are hit will learn to hit.  I would have set my 20 month somewhere safe or I would turn off the stove and move the pots to the back of the stovetop.  I dont take my chances with dangerous things. 

Quoting o0gone0o:

Have you tried taking more than 1 kid to the bathroom at a time? Its not as easy as one might think so yes I need him to know the stove is hot and not to touch so that if his sister has to go and she's having one of those its dark and scarey up there moments I can get her there in time and know he isn't going to burn himself in the minute i'm gone.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

so you keep a "spirited child" near the hot stove as you are cooking?  nice.

I suggest  you read the care and feeding of the indigo child if you think your child is really doing his own thing no matter what you do. 

Quoting o0gone0o:

Well gee thanks for that, I must not have tried showing him how to play nice ever. And the hand slapping is in reference to try to keep him from touching objects that can hurt him. Such as the hot stove.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

here is a novel idea.  Sit down and show him what you want him to do and quit chasing him around slapping his hand as he is trying to find something to do.  

• GaleJ
    by GaleJ
    December 30, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I really don't have a suggestion, my son was an only and really didn't need to be disciplined much at all. I do want to say that while I can't know what having three small children is like, and without any drama or bashing, please don't ever leave small children alone in a room with a stove that is on. My son is an EMT and they so often have children that are seriously burned in the nanosecond when a parent or caregiver is either distracted or steps out of the room or line of sight of the stove. It can happen so fast and the results can be so devastating and it can so simply be prevented by never leaving the stove unattended for even a second.

• Mrs.Pedro
    December 30, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    I've found a firm loud voice to be helpful with dangerous situations. If I am too far away to get to them in time, I yell out a loud and firm "Hey!" And they jerk their hands right back or run off. The. I will talk to them about what it is that bothered me.... I keep it simple because that's easiest to remember for kids.... I do the yell thing, go to them and get on their level, then tell them something like, "It's hot! No touching!".... My oldest just got the idea of what hot means around 2.5 years old, but that's probably because I don't allow him in the kitchen at all. It's blocked off with a door and a baby gate. For things that are not dangerous I just do time outs.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN