daughteroftruth
Are you looking at cut backs?
December 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM

As the doom and gloom of possibly higher prices and higher taxes, have you started to think about how you will adjust your budget, or are you just going to wait and adjust as you go?

I'm to worried about waiting to wait.  I'm going through and looking at what can be eliminated now.  Like phones... I'm a sahm, I have Internet, I have a land line, and I"m usually home, I want to go to just a plan where I can talk and text.. I dont' need data.. but I'm not sure if I can do that. Same with dh, when he is at work, he doesn't take his phone with him, he leaves it in the car, and all he really does is text and call.  So I want to go back to old phones, but I don't want a contract, so I'm going to look into prepaid.  

I'm going to invest in a bike trailer for my bike so once it is warm enough me and the kids can bike or just walk where we need to go in town instead of using gas.  

Not sure where else we could cut, need dh to sit down with me and help dwindle down expenses. I'd rather have a plan of action in place then wait. 

Replies

• MOMMYSLOVE13
    December 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Ok sounds silly to me bc your looking at spending to save. Where does the saving some in? :(

• USMCWifey2011
    December 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM

were not really. We live in base housing so our housing allowance is used for rent/bills, except for cable internet, things that arent needs. We dont spend a lot on those. our phone bill is low, and we only have 1 car with low insurence and a somewhat high payment on it. We have bills. We usually dont do a whole lot and stay home quite a bit. We have money in savings so im not really worried.
    I would do prepaid if i were you and get rid of your landline if possible. Walmart has straight talk which actually is decent and only 45 a month :) Use Coupons, i save anywhere from 15-50 dollars on groceries a month and buy generic :) We also buy in bulk so we spend a little more every few months or so

• MamaPeanut
    December 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    Not really.

If anything we will eat out a bit less and spend less on frivolous things.
  • daughteroftruth
    December 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Quoting MOMMYSLOVE13:

Ok sounds silly to me bc your looking at spending to save. Where does the saving some in? :(

Well if we can get rid of the phones, even if dh gets a prepaid flip phone, that saves us $100 a month.  Buying a bike trailer is not a huge investment.. Kids all have bikes and gear already, I have a bike, but a trailer for the two smallest kids and to load groceries in would be nice.  Some can be super pricey, but I was looking at one for $100 dollars.. and while our town is small, driving a suburban around town several times a day adds up quickly.  A small investment to save long term on gas would make a huge difference.  Gas has came down in price right now, but it allways goes back up in the summer. 

• daughteroftruth
    December 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Quoting USMCWifey2011:

were not really. We live in base housing so our housing allowance is used for rent/bills, except for cable internet, things that arent needs. We dont spend a lot on those. our phone bill is low, and we only have 1 car with low insurence and a somewhat high payment on it. We have bills. We usually dont do a whole lot and stay home quite a bit. We have money in savings so im not really worried.
    I would do prepaid if i were you and get rid of your landline if possible. Walmart has straight talk which actually is decent and only 45 a month :) Use Coupons, i save anywhere from 15-50 dollars on groceries a month and buy generic :) We also buy in bulk so we spend a little more every few months or so

I buy in bulk and make everything from scratch, so not sure couping would help us.. I see coupons for boxed goods, like cereal and stuff, but we never buy that stuff. 

I have heard several good things about straight talk.  Do they use verizon or att's towers?

• Sassy01
    by Sassy01
    December 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    If it gets real bad i will have to give up my vehicle pemanatly, meaning i will more or less be home bound or else much more dependant on dh to get to appts.
    we aready ditched cable and now have satelight which saved us $100. A month. We share a phone plan with ydd and is only 40 bucks per person, we use coupons, and rarely eat out and even more rarely go to the movies.
    Nothing more we can eliminate here.
  • vevespears
    December 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Pre-paid phone!!! That was my first cut down last year, only 50 a month everything unlimited, I have a smartphone so I have to buy it. thats the cash.

I cut off the cable and have Netflix

Also I stop going (too much) dinning out

Instead of making Friday night with pizza and movies, well I have the frozen pizza and the movies at the library I dont have to pay anything for (cuttting off rentals)

I do my own mani and pedi, and.... I dont have magazine subscriptions, I made my own coffee recipies so I avoided the starbucks, also at the local gas station have this program when you buy 5 coffes you get 6th free. Mostly I get the 1dll cup by the 6th I get the large cup. 

Mmmm.... I cut off a lot of my budget last year for some legal issues I have that I need it to spend more money on that

• KMAsMommy9182
    December 30, 2012 at 11:33 PM

We have been planning a new budget for the new year, but it has nothing do with the outside world.  We just want more of a cushion in our lives.

• marysmithy
    December 30, 2012 at 11:36 PM

No, my DH's business actually makes more money in a down economy.

• Jerods_Wifey18
    December 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I will adjust as i go but, We don't really buy much extras! :) So, We Shall see!!