Y2kmomma
Cheapest way to get a divorce...?
December 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Is there a cheapest way to get divorced? I want a divorce, would rather not go into detail. We talked today about it, and promised each other we would not get nasty (I know everyone says that).
I told him I want NOTHING but our son. He can have it all, and I'll get my own place with DS. I also have NO plan to to take any rights away as a father. I want them to be able to see each other as much as I can.

So can we do this without a lawyer? I really don't believe he will get nasty. His main concern our son, just like mine.

Replies

• Y2kmomma
    December 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    Oh and I want my car. But that's in my fathers name anyway.
    Also, I live in Connecticut.
  • frndlyfn
    December 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Yes Pick up the paperwork from court house or print it off at home.  You will be charged to file but the paperwork is free.

• Y2kmomma
    December 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    Just a regular judicial court?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes Pick up the paperwork from court house or print it off at home.  You will be charged to file but the paperwork is free.

• FooLynRoo
    December 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Think it depends where you live.

In NJ i see 379 - no spousal signature required

all over the place.

• frndlyfn
    December 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Yes.

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Just a regular judicial court?

Quoting frndlyfn:

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    December 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Yep, my parents did.  They just did the paperwork themselves and filed at the courthouse.

• Y2kmomma
    December 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    $379 ?

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Think it depends where you live.

In NJ i see 379 - no spousal signature required

all over the place.

• Y2kmomma
    December 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    Did they have minor children ?
    My mom seems to think you can't do the easy divorce if kids are involved.

Quoting PEEK05:

Yep, my parents did.  They just did the paperwork themselves and filed at the courthouse.

• Paperfishies
    December 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Bullets are pretty cheap.

I kid, I kid.

• SilverOcean84
    December 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

A divorce in CT with minor children will not be quick (mine took about a year). Yes it can be done without lawyers but if you have questions the clerks or someone within the courthouse will help you fill out any forms you may need. Most forms are available online and hanging outside of the court clerk's office. Remember there is not only filing fees but fees to serve the ex with papers. Good luck!  Where in CT are you doing the divorce? I did mine at the court house in Rockville