The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Cafe Amanda
Do you think women can have it all?
December 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Is this really possible, or are we chasing something unattainable? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Do you think women can have it all?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 43% - Yes.
  2. 56% - No.

Replies

• christina0607
    December 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Do you mean like a career, family and personal life?

Honestly, no. Ok well lets rephrase that, yes of course you can physically have all of these things, however I don't think it's possible to give 100% to all of them. You need to constantly choose between them and what comes first. Which unfortunately means a womans career will come first. Which to me, just isn't having it all.

• mama2gg
    by mama2gg
    December 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

TOTALLY I know I do !!

I have a wonderful husband , a perfect 5 year old that has slept through the night from day ONE a little girl on the way, I have a home I adore and is almost paid off, I have my own stuff and am very independent.

My Dh is not jelaous and trusts me at all times and the same with him he is my bff for over 16 years BEFORE we got married

I have a perfect life , job, home, kids, and husband you can't ask for anything more

• mama2gg
    by mama2gg
    December 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I don't agree at all I have a career, a home,perfect husband, I do ALL the house work and cook, I work full time, I finished college, I have a son and a daughter on the way, we own our home. It's all about knowing how to balance it ALL equally with time and effort

Quoting christina0607:

Do you mean like a career, family and personal life?

Honestly, no. Ok well lets rephrase that, yes of course you can physically have all of these things, however I don't think it's possible to give 100% to all of them. You need to constantly choose between them and what comes first. Which unfortunately means a womans career will come first. Which to me, just isn't having it all.

• MrsErdos2011
    December 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM

It depends on what their definition of 'all' is.

• mrsfitz05
    December 4, 2012 at 9:15 AM

That depends on your definition of the concept. No one ever asks if MEN can have it all. It's funny how a man can have a powerful career, a golfing hobby, and still be raising a family. However, if a mom has a job then she isn't raising her children. Ahhh....CM judgement at it's finest.

I have 3 beautiful children that I love more than life, a wonderful husband who adores us & a career. My family does, has and will always come first but lucky for me, I don't have to make the choice between the 2. I can succeed in my job and still be there whenever my kids need me. Do I make choices that are influenced by having a family? Certainly. Would I walk away from my career if there came a time where that was what was best for our family? Yes, I would. But see, because I work, my husband also has the ability to put his family first before his job. It's the arrangement that works for us and makes us all happy. 

• supermeof3
    December 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I'm sure this isn't going to b a "popular" answer, but I pretty much agree w/ you ;)

I had a fb friend recently post a pic w/ a saying and it said that she takes care of her house, her kids, does laundry and oh, I have this little part time gig, called a job".  My first thought was, no, you have a job (as this takes up the most hours in your day) and have a part time gig called your family, your house, your laundry...  I'll probably get slammed for this reply on CM...

Quoting kailu1835:

Is this from the parenting magazine?

I think women need to redefine what they want, and what is most important.  If a woman is a working mom, she has two jobs, being a parent, and being an employee.  One of the two is bound to suffer at some point (not saying routinely).  It is completely impossible to successfully completely balance the two, especially as the kid gets older, and gets involved in extracurriculars.  If you're a full time employee, you're going to end up missing some things in your kids lives.  If your a mom, you're going to have to make sacrifices at work, and maybe miss something as major as a great promotion, because you won't be available as often as needed.  I think women should make a choice.  Either be a mom, or be an employee.  Otherwise, be prepared to make sacrifices on one end or the other, if not both.

• Pink.Frosting
    December 4, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Sure, if you want to be exhausted all of the time.

• maass1981
    December 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I have it all.  My biggest dream in life was to be a mom.  I have 3 wonderful children, a loving hardworking husband, and the best job(including bosses, coworkers, and hours) I could ask for.  I am truely blessed and have all that I want.

• Aislinn
    by Aislinn
    December 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I think people who chase the unattainable dream of "Having it all" are wasting their lives. Nobody can have it all. Men, women.. NOBODY.

• Emilytrademark
    December 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM

No one can have it all - you must decide your priorities and work toward them, but understand that you will make many compromises along the way.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN