The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
nerdymom28
Have you ever wondered....
November 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM

What women used for pads/tampons before modern times? For some reason I have always wondered. Especially Native American women, poor women, or those who live outside of "civilization". Maybe I'm just weird. lol

Replies

• Dzyre1115
    November 28, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Never crossed my mind, but I'm sure they handled their business!

• frndlyfn
    November 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM

They typically used cloth rags for their menstrual needs or stayed in bed if i remember right.

• 2under5.mom
    November 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Thats never popped into my mind but now that you bring it up its a pretty good question. But im sure they probably didnt make tampons..maybe just cloth or something.

• jellybeanjean
    November 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I always assumed rags. Hence the term "on the rag"

• sucker4myloves
    November 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM

That is why it's called that :)

Quoting jellybeanjean:

I always assumed rags. Hence the term "on the rag"

• MrsApple
    November 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Yeah,women before the "modern days" had it BAD! Ask your mom about what she had to use!My mom told me horror stories of a belt thing they had to wear,lol.

• makelineerror
    November 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    If you've ever read the book "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret", they mention the horrible belt.

Quoting MrsApple:

Yeah,women before the "modern days" had it BAD! Ask your mom about what she had to use!My mom told me horror stories of a belt thing they had to wear,lol.

• MrsApple
    November 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I'd forgotten about that book!

Quoting makelineerror:

If you've ever read the book "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret", they mention the horrible belt.

Quoting MrsApple:

• xixCandyxix
    November 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

They used cloth. Native americans used the fluffy stuff from cat tails. Sea sponges also make great re-usable tampons.

• Crimsonia
    November 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Leather strips from animal hides... rabbit fur... cattails... other types of absorbant material from both plant and animal alike... it all depended upon their particular culture and what materials were available.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN