The CafeMom Newcomers Club

babyspots17
Living separately?
November 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Has anyone ever lived separately from their spouses? I am seriously considering moving with my children back to my home town to help out my dad. If anyone has how did your relationship handle it, how did your children handle it? We are still discussing it at this point but would just like to here other people's opinions/ stories. Would you ever consider living some where without your dh/so?

Replies

• christina0607
    November 27, 2012 at 11:43 AM

My brother did for a year. He moved back to my moms in Boston house for a job while is wife and kids stayed to sell their home in South Carolina. They have now been reunited for a year and will be divorcing when their lease is up.

I would never do it.

• mom_dl6
    by mom_dl6
    November 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I say you might as well divorce then, No reason to be married if your not going to be living together for a extended period of time,I know they say distance makes the heart grow fonder but i have never met anyone as of yet that can prove that saying, and how can your relationship stay strong  with such distance and no intimacy between you I mean the phone thing will get boring after awhile.....I say don't do it !

• frndlyfn
    November 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I do not like the concept since marriage is a 24/7 committment and living separately can be open to alot of temptation.

• babyspots17
    November 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Was there issues before he moved ?

Quoting christina0607:

My brother did for a year. He moved back to my moms in Boston house for a job while is wife and kids stayed to sell their home in South Carolina. They have now been reunited for a year and will be divorcing when their lease is up.

I would never do it.

• christina0607
    November 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    Not that I'm aware of.

Quoting babyspots17:

Was there issues before he moved ?

Quoting christina0607:

I would never do it.

• supermom0609
    November 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    I dont see how you can be married,have healthy marriage and live seperatly. i just dont think it will work. why not move your dad in with you?
  • babyspots17
    November 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    Because it isn't my dad that's the issue he is taking sole care of my mom who recently had a massive stroke. They own a home 30 acres of land have dogs and horses. I think it is just to much for him alone to deal with. I know it isn't an ideal situation but really don't know what else to do.

Quoting supermom0609:

I dont see how you can be married,have healthy marriage and live seperatly. i just dont think it will work. why not move your dad in with you?
  • wildlilacs
    November 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    Military spouse survive long seperations, why cant civilians? If there is deep love and respect, no one will cheat. There is skyping, texting, old fashion calling.
    Depending how far apart, weekend visits. I say it can be done. Can the children stay with him, stay in same school?
  • kappalopokis
    November 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    I would never do it, a family is a single unit. A marriage, two people as one. Spouses belong together.
  • mmeredith
    November 27, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I would do it. Your parents need you & sounds like dh understands this.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts