The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
goodnightmama
I am a horrible mom and so was my mother.
November 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I was just told this today because my kids know that Santa clause is not real. They have always known. All three of them, even my four year old, will tell you mommy and daddy are Santa clause. My in laws went off on me for this. They asked me which present from them they should mark from Santa. I told them they could any of them but that my kids will know it really wasnt from him. I explained to them that my mom told me and my siblings from the beginning that Santa wasnt real and we turned out fine. They said, oh so thats your problem. No wonder why you turned out this way and now your doing it to your kids. Oh I was livid and just hung up the phone. My in laws are suppose to spend Christmas here but I dont know if I can remain civil after that.

Replies

• Megzboys
    November 27, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Seriously?  They called you a bad mother because your kids don't believe in Santa?   You are not a bad mother but your in-laws have some serious issues LOL.    My three boys don't believe in Santa, he is simply a fun story to tell at Christmas time.  DH and I taught our boys that Jesus is the reason for Christmas and Santa was a story about a saint named Nicholas who handed out gifts.   Your mom is also not a terrible mother, she simply chose not to lie to you and your siblings.   It is a parenting choice and nobody else has the right to attack you for it.   You are doing just fine!    Have a Merry Christmas( hopefully without them). 

• RLT2
    by RLT2
    November 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Quoting goodnightmama:

My in laws? Normally if I tell my kids not to say anything they dont. When I talked to my kids about Santa I explained to them that this was our little secret and that they couldnt to around telling kids because they might ruin it for them. I am wondering if that may have been the reason why they never said anything to nana and papa.

Quoting RLT2:

They're just now finding this out?

Oh okay, I wasn't being snarky-it's just that my kids talk about Santa pretty much non stop lately. I was just wondering if maybe you hadn't spoken to them in awhile or something, that's why they din't know that you don't do the "Santa" thing. kwim?

• goodnightmama
    November 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM
    They said I was taking an important childhood experience away from them and ruining their creativity. Which I dont get, I was one of the most imaginative little kids you will ever meet. On top of that all three of my kids make up games and stories on a daily basis. Although I am not seeing how that is not being creative. I just think their crazy.

Quoting Megzboys:

Seriously?  They called you a bad mother because your kids don't believe in Santa?   You are not a bad mother but your in-laws have some serious issues LOL.    My three boys don't believe in Santa, he is simply a fun story to tell at Christmas time.  DH and I taught our boys that Jesus is the reason for Christmas and Santa was a story about a saint named Nicholas who handed out gifts.   Your mom is also not a terrible mother, she simply chose not to lie to you and your siblings.   It is a parenting choice and nobody else has the right to attack you for it.   You are doing just fine!    Have a Merry Christmas( hopefully without them). 

• frndlyfn
    November 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I dont see anything wrong with children knowing he is not alive in our world..  Have you taught them not to spoil it for other children who may still believe?

• goodnightmama
    November 27, 2012 at 12:25 AM
    Yeah I know. I also never told them because I figured if they wanted to write from Santa I wasnt gonna stop them. I have never put a from Santa gift under the tree and with all the christmases we spent with them you think they would have noticed lol.

Quoting RLT2:

Quoting goodnightmama:

My in laws? Normally if I tell my kids not to say anything they dont. When I talked to my kids about Santa I explained to them that this was our little secret and that they couldnt to around telling kids because they might ruin it for them. I am wondering if that may have been the reason why they never said anything to nana and papa.

Quoting RLT2:

Oh okay, I wasn't being snarky-it's just that my kids talk about Santa pretty much non stop lately. I was just wondering if maybe you hadn't spoken to them in awhile or something, that's why they din't know that you don't do the "Santa" thing. kwim?

• goodnightmama
    November 27, 2012 at 12:27 AM
    Yes. I explained to them that it was our little secret and if they told another child.it would ruin their Christmas and it wouldnt be fair to ruin someone else Christmas.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I dont see anything wrong with children knowing he is not alive in our world..  Have you taught them not to spoil it for other children who may still believe?

• RLT2
    by RLT2
    November 27, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Quoting goodnightmama:

Yeah I know. I also never told them because I figured if they wanted to write from Santa I wasnt gonna stop them. I have never put a from Santa gift under the tree and with all the christmases we spent with them you think they would have noticed lol.

Quoting RLT2:

Quoting goodnightmama:

Quoting RLT2:

That's pretty dense alright! LOL

• frndlyfn
    November 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

See then your family is fine.   Does she think everyone who does not celebrate christmas ruin their children as well? My girl believes but also knows that all the ones we see at stores are his helpers and not actually santa.  She gets one gift from santa and the rest from us.

Quoting goodnightmama:

Yes. I explained to them that it was our little secret and if they told another child.it would ruin their Christmas and it wouldnt be fair to ruin someone else Christmas.

Quoting frndlyfn:

• AmaliaD
    by AmaliaD
    November 27, 2012 at 8:25 AM

i agree that your inlaws reaction was over the top but can i ask - why dont you want to do the santa thing with your kids?   

• goodnightmama
    November 27, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    I tried when my oldest was about 1-2 years old and I felt silly, out of my element. I guess it was because of how I was raised with knowing he wasnt real. Finally when dh saw that I was trying but I just couldnt do it he let me tell our kids the truth.

Quoting AmaliaD:

i agree that your inlaws reaction was over the top but can i ask - why dont you want to do the santa thing with your kids?   

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN