The CafeMom Newcomers Club

pinkcoffeecup
Why would a woman not take on her dh's last name?. If they are married
November 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I know some women may get married.  But then choose to not take the dh's last name.  If you love the man enough to marry him.  Why wouldn't you take his last name?  My sister got married to dh 3 December  2011.  Summer of 2012 moves to the state he is from with her kids.  She getsa job there.  But goes by her maiden last name.  Not the last name she had from dh 2 father of all her kids. 

Replies

• kayandjsmom
    November 23, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    They like their last name better? I don't think it's necessary to take on your dh's last name and I really don't think it has anything to do with how much you love them.
  • happymommy1105
    November 23, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    cause she doesn't want to use her husbands last name.

its not.that complicated.
  • lapcounter
    November 23, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    I find it selfish and odd but that's my opinion.
  • MammaPaparazza
    November 23, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    Maybe because their family isn't liked or the is associated with bad people's ... It has impact in the business and political world, otherwise, they just don't want to give up what they built for themselves under their names ... I know several doctors and nurse practitioners who kept their maiden names
  • Momsthename0609
    November 23, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    I want my last name to be carried on as well so I didn't change my last name and I won't. My children all have a hyphenated last name. If they choose to when they are older they are welcome to drop one of the last names. I am sure at least one of them will keep my last name. Lol
  • ATG499
    by ATG499
    November 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    I'm on the fence about whether I want to keep my maiden name or hyphenate our two last names. I refuse to drop my maiden name- I'm an only child on my dad's side (who I got my last name from) and my son and I are the last two in the family with our last name. I'm not married, nor will I be for a long time.
  • boshs1andonly
    November 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM

It was always a given to me that I would take my dh's name. I asked him about it later and apparently it would have been a big deal if I hadn't, so I guess that worked out lol. The only way I could see that making sense is if you're fully established in your field and you don't want to change your name. But even then if it were me I'd probably change my name anyway. 

• SnapIt
    by SnapIt
    November 23, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    Because my maiden name sounded better and i dont need a husbands name to identify myself
    Im me and thats that
    I also wouldnt keep it if i did take it and got divorced
    Not even if I have kids with him. Im no longer with him. I go back to being who I was before marriage. Me
    My kids will always be my kids and again I dont need to keep a last name to identify myself.
  • MIA0223
    by MIA0223
    November 23, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    Some religions don't change their last name.
    I go by both my maiden name and DHs last name, because the meaning of my maiden name is unknown.
    But in our religion, the name you were born with is the one you keep for your entire life.
  • SnapIt
    by SnapIt
    November 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    I was going to do this
    I think if they belong to both they should have both last names

Quoting Momsthename0609:

I want my last name to be carried on as well so I didn't change my last name and I won't. My children all have a hyphenated last name. If they choose to when they are older they are welcome to drop one of the last names. I am sure at least one of them will keep my last name. Lol

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN