The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Countrygerl
How do you survive being a vegan?
November 22, 2012 at 12:34 AM

This is NOT a bash! I am just curious. My motto is do whatever floats your boat. But I am curious how do ppl survive being vegan? I mean you dont eat meat or diary. So where do you get your calcium and iron and proteins that the food pyramid says you need to survive? Also wouldnt being a vegan make clothes shopping incredibly hard. I mean you cant buy wool or silk of leather. So all that is left is cotton and not many clothes are made of 100 percent cotton. Again this is NOT a bash just plain curiosity.

Replies

• frndlyfn
    November 22, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Beans contain alot of iron/protein as well as other things.  I think broccoli is actually higher in calcium than milk. It takes a good knowledge of foods to be able to balance a healthy vegan diet.  Many vegans are also meticulous about taking their vitamins that contain no animal byproducts.  

• TableforSeven
    November 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I'm not vegan......not even vegetarian - but there are tons of vegetables and beans that are filled with calcium, protein, etc....everything you can get from meat and dairy you can also get through plants.

• Homeschoolmom99
    November 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM

My sister has been vegan for as long as I can recall! The moment I could eat meat I did! She is super ridgid with it drives is all batty!

• frndlyfn
    November 22, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I perosnally love my dairy and eggs too much to be vegan.

• Mrs.Winchester
    November 22, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Most people educated in nutrition will tell you that the food pyramid is a very bad example of healthy eating.  It's not hard whatsoever to get all the nutrition your body needs by eating a whole foods, plant based diet.  I am not vegan-  my husband is a dietary vegan-  but I do eat that way the majority of the time because it's very healthy.  In fact,  many doctors say that a vegan diet can cure most diseases including heart disease.  Chances are if it blows your mind how someone could eat like a vegan (plant based) you probably aren't getting the nutrients your body needs on a diet including meat and dairy. 

This is the food pyramid we live by (as I stated my daughter and I do eat some meat that's not shown here.  About 1.5 lbs chicken breast a week,  or fish).  I'm not sure how anyone could say,  "how do you live?".  Honestly,  it blows MY mind how anyone could live differently. Here are some examples of our dinners:

(vegan taco's)

Indian Food

chickpea collard curry

and my personal favorite- vegan lasagna!!

• Lunarprancer
    November 22, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Sometimes you have to eat your diary to keep your secrets.

• Fields456
    November 22, 2012 at 1:30 AM
    My stepmom is a vegan she has been a vegetarian since the late 70s and a vegan for part of it then just a regular vegiterian and she has been back to being a vegan for like the last 5 years
  • MockingJay
    November 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I eat a vegan diet. I am not a vegan by lifestyle. I am really a vegetarian, but avoid dairy and eggs due to hereditary high cholesterol. I avoid leather, and never buy it. I have a pair of leather shoes, and a leather purse that were gifts years ago. As an avid knitter, I cannot live without wool yarn and Alpaca, but try to be careful about where it is coming from. 

Anyhoo, I have a varied diet. There are many ways to get iron, calcium and protein. I love beans and grains, as well as dark green veggies like Kale. I eat A LOT of fruits and veggies. Much of my diet is raw as well, bcause that is my preference. All of these things contain all of the things you have concerns about. I do much of my cooking in a cast iron pan, eat dried apricots and dates. I also do a lot of juicing, which helps me get what I need. 

I take suppliments as well, however no iron since my iron levels are great without. I take a daily, and I take D because of where I live, and my levels are usually low without it, also B's since those are not easy to get on a mostly vegan diet. 

Also, I will talk to people about my diet if they are interested, but I do not harass people. I also hate to be harrassed about it, so if the questions are genuine, and not meant to challenge me, or make me feel defensive, I will get attitude. 

• ninipanini
    November 22, 2012 at 7:11 AM

The clothing issue depends on your reason behind being vegan.  If it's dietary, then you don't really have to watch that part. If it's idealogical, then yeah it makes it tougher, but cotton and synthetics(rayon, nylon, acrylic, etc) are pretty cheap.  And you'd be surprised at how much cotton has made a comeback, you just need to look a little longer and read the labels closer. JUst like with your food choices. 

The hard part is getting enough iron.  Fruits and veggies have some but to keep yourself from being anemic, you have to be very cautious in your food choices.  My stepdaughter was vegan until she got pg. Now with nursing, she still finds herself borderline anemic, almost all the time. She has added eggs into her diet for that reason.

Good protein sources:  Tofu, soy milk, Lentils, beans.

Also, Americans in general overdo their protein intake. As long as you're eating the right amount of calories, you shouldn't have a hard time getting enough protein.

• ninipanini
    November 22, 2012 at 7:14 AM

broccoli is a little half of milk, but it also doesn't contain all the fat

Quoting frndlyfn:

Beans contain alot of iron/protein as well as other things.  I think broccoli is actually higher in calcium than milk. It takes a good knowledge of foods to be able to balance a healthy vegan diet.  Many vegans are also meticulous about taking their vitamins that contain no animal byproducts.  

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN