pangie23
locking your child in the car accidentally?
November 20, 2012 at 3:28 AM
I can laugh about it now thanks to my reminder on my keys...When my son was about 4 months old, i went shopping and carried a big box back to my car and i had my son on his carseat in the stroller, i got to my car put my son in, turned on his toy (a mirror with soothing music and lights) closed the back door, folded his stroller placed it in the trunk, since it was a small car the box didn't fit so i was gonna put it in the front passenger seat but i saw a lady carrying her child trying to get in the car parked next to me so i quickly placed the box on the driver seat and set my keys on top unintentionally and accidentally closed the door enough to where i couldn't open it anymore and yes it was locked, all my doors were locked, no window open and my keys inside and my purse and my 4 month old...ling story short..i ended up calling the firefighters cuz my baby was getting fussy and crying luckily it was February so the weather wasnt hot or anything but trust me my first thought was to break a window...i felt horrible! Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Replies

• bellaamore
    November 20, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Yikes! That would have just aboutkilled me! Never had anything happen unsafe really.

• vabchmom21165
    November 20, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Thank God I never did that with my kids but I understand how freaked out you would be. I forgot my dog was in the car and left her in there for hours a few times. Good thing it wasn't hot. Duh me!!

• emandab
    by emandab
    November 20, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Yes!  My BIL needed to borrow my truck so we swapped vehicles.  Well apparently his car and the door locks were "touchy".  Dh, my 5month old dd and I went to wal-mart and as we were loading stuff into the car I hit the unlock button for all the doors, or so I thought.  We had already put dd in her carseat and dh closed the driver side door with the keys in it.  Everything was locked!  I had to go back into walmart while he stayed with dd to call the local police to come jimmy it.  They asked all kinds of questions because it was not my car but of course they did it right away with my dd crying inside.  It was horrible.  I felt like a huge pile of bad mom. I know it wasn't anyone's fault but still. She was fine of course, but having to listen to her cry while we were waiting was awful.

• TableforSeven
    November 20, 2012 at 4:33 AM

My daughter was 2 when I accidentally locker her in my car....while visiting my mother. Thankfully - it had been raining earlier that day - so I had parked in mom's garage and the car wasn't in the sun.  I buckled DD in her carseat in the back and went to walk around only to discover that I had thrown my purse into the front passenger seat while buckling DD in...something I never did - but for some reason did that day.

I was on the phone with the car dealer - the car was a Saturn and they said you cannot have the fire-dept break in to them -- anyway - while I was on the phone - DD figured out how to unlock the back door and I could open it.  Thank goodness.

• Zanny
    by Zanny
    November 20, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Sooo many of us have done it!  I did it ONCE to my older daughter, when she was maybe 6 months old...  I have never felt more panicked,   Luckily, there was someone nearby with a Jimmy Stick, and popped open the lock..

(one of those flat tools one can use on older cars that had the actual button to press down on.. This was 1992, and my car was an 82

• msjoecool
    November 20, 2012 at 7:06 AM
    Yes. I accidentally locked the keys and girls inside at the gas station. I was starting to panic because we have one car so DH couldn't bring a spare key and AAA takes forever here. Another guy noticed that I have a combination lock. I called home and DH gave me the code. I will never own a car without one now.
  • Teeshann
    November 20, 2012 at 7:25 AM

i've done it once before. luckily my daughter was big enough she could unbuckle herself and unlock the doors for me.

• christina0607
    November 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Twice that I couldn't get back into the car...countless times when I had to have them open it from the inside. One of those two times I had to call the fire department to come help me.

• Kmary
    by Kmary
    November 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Yes I did it once.  I was a total mess freaking out, but my baby was perfectly content in there for the 10 minutes we had to wait for dh to get home with the spare key.

• adhaodd1child
    November 20, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    Thank god none of our cars or trucks will lock with a door open or partly opened but not only that if I start the car or truck before the kids are in the drivers window is down and the door open if not then the keys are in my pocket or on top of the car. But I'm also lucky that if I ever by chance lock my keys in the car I have a spare one close at hand.