Mrs.Tirado
Question about breastfeeding while pregnant.
November 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM
My doctor says that its fine if I stay on my vitamins and eat healthy because my 1 year old will be taking vitamins and so on that my unborn needs. I've been feeling cramps and extra gas lately everytime I breastfeed. I'm trying my hardest to ween my 1 year old off breast milk but its not as easy as it was with my first. He's not very fond of fresh milk. My question is, what are some of your techniques for weening a child off breastmilk. Also, do you think the cramping is a bad thing?

Replies

• slm047
    by slm047
    November 16, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    I don't have much advice.. I'm still nursing dd who just turned 2 and I'm pregnant as well. I have been crampy though.
  • Alyssasmommy412
    November 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM

He will probably ween himself soon because  your breast milk changes when your pregnant, just keep trying the milk (use a sippy cup not bottle). The cramps are probaly normal as your body is changing to accomodate the new baby. Good luck

• mom2the.rescue
    November 16, 2012 at 9:57 AM

That's what I was thinking.  I've always heard the taste changes and the babies end up weaning themselves.  If yours isn't, and you still want to stop, then you'll have to slowly take out the feedings when baby isn't as hungry or needing comfort.  When did you wean your others, or did they self wean? 

Quoting Alyssasmommy412:

He will probably ween himself soon because  your breast milk changes when your pregnant, just keep trying the milk (use a sippy cup not bottle). The cramps are probaly normal as your body is changing to accomodate the new baby. Good luck

• ShesALady
    November 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    It's been almost 7 years so I honestly don't remember exactly how I weaned my daughter. I think I just didn't give her the option of breast milk through out the day and she would only have it at night. I was 6 months pregnant by the time I weaned her completely. I had a friend who nursed her whole pregnancy and once the baby started nursing her oldest wasn't interested anymore. The cramping I'm not sure about.
  • 1plustwinsmommy
    November 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    Bump. Mine are 7 years apart.
  • Mrs.Tirado
    November 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    With my first, I weened him off by giving him fresh milk during the day and breastmilk at night until he stopped asking me for breastmilk. He was about 15 months when he finally stopped but with this one, its pretty frustrating.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

That's what I was thinking.  I've always heard the taste changes and the babies end up weaning themselves.  If yours isn't, and you still want to stop, then you'll have to slowly take out the feedings when baby isn't as hungry or needing comfort.  When did you wean your others, or did they self wean? 

Quoting Alyssasmommy412:

• Moogie1005
    November 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    I know this question has been addressed in the Breastfeeding Moms group. I think there is a sticky note post about it as well. I would suggest that you join that group and look at those posts. The ladies in there are very helpful and supportive. I recommend that group for all breastfeeding moms.
  • Mrs.Tirado
    November 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    Ok thanks.

Quoting Moogie1005:

I know this question has been addressed in the Breastfeeding Moms group. I think there is a sticky note post about it as well. I would suggest that you join that group and look at those posts. The ladies in there are very helpful and supportive. I recommend that group for all breastfeeding moms.

• ShadowLark
    November 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I didn't bother to wean her.  She was 12 months old when I got pg and she's 28 months old now and happily tandem nursing with her 7 month old baby brother.  I love it!

• kansasmom1978
    November 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM

My dd was easy to wean.  Nature took over. She developed Thrush and refused to nurse. Took her to doc,he gave her meds and three days later she still refused to nurse. She ate yogurt for a week. And then was drinking from a cup. She never took a bottle her entire life. She is healthy and 7 now. She was 14 months when she stopped nursing.