ATG499
Any gastric bypass patients in here? PIOG
by ATG499
November 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM
If so, please message me! I have some questions.

Replies

• brittney28
    November 15, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    I'm not but my grama had it done over a year ago. All I know is she gets sick a lot. I wish she never had it done!
  • Rowdys.Mommy
    November 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    I know several people that have had the bypass and it seems like they fall apart afterwards
  • ATG499
    by ATG499
    November 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    That's called dumping syndrome. It occurs when you eat stuff your body can't handle what you ate (ingredients or amount).

Quoting brittney28:

I'm not but my grama had it done over a year ago. All I know is she gets sick a lot. I wish she never had it done!
  • MyraEllen
    November 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM
    My mother-in-law had it done this past July. She's followed her doctor's instructions and her diet, and has lost 50 pounds. She feels and looks great! Now the pain in her knees has let up so she can start exercising again.
  • WendyJR
    by WendyJR
    November 15, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    My sister went through it and ds great. She's 4 years post op now and still doing well. I went with her to a lot of appointments and helped her after her surgery.
  • thatgirl70
    November 16, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I did in 2009. 

• thatgirl70
    November 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

I know several people that have had the bypass and it seems like they fall apart afterwards

I've known a few like that myself, but 3 1/2 years later, I would still count myself as a success story. I did gain about 25 lbs back last year because I got careless so I joined Weight Watchers to help me stay focused. I met my goal about 2 months ago and received my Lifetime membership this week.

The thing about both is that they are a lifestyle change and if you're (general you) are not willing to make the commitment and follow through, it's pretty pointless.

• taniamorse85
    November 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM

My uncle had sleeve gastrectomy (a variation of gastric bypass) last year.  It worked very well for him.  He started out at nearly 400 lbs., and he got down to a little less than 200 in a year.

• thatgirl70
    November 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Yep exactly. For me it's anything above fat free milk (though admittedly I haven't tried 1%, but what's the point?) or if I get overzealous with a particular meal. Once you know what your body can't tolerate it's usually pretty easy to handle.

Quoting ATG499:

That's called dumping syndrome. It occurs when you eat stuff your body can't handle what you ate (ingredients or amount).

Quoting brittney28:

• Rowdys.Mommy
    November 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Congrats!

The people I'm referring to seem to have serious health issues, knee problems, back problems etc from being overweight for so long and then I know several people that have had it for around 9-10 years now that are having serious health problems with their stomachs and digestive systems. 

My MIL is going to have the bypass soon, she needs it but I'm still worried about her because I don't know if she will be able to follow the regime. 

Quoting thatgirl70:

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

I've known a few like that myself, but 3 1/2 years later, I would still count myself as a success story. I did gain about 25 lbs back last year because I got careless so I joined Weight Watchers to help me stay focused. I met my goal about 2 months ago and received my Lifetime membership this week.

The thing about both is that they are a lifestyle change and if you're (general you) are not willing to make the commitment and follow through, it's pretty pointless.