The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Msgme
How much do you spend on lunch for your kids?
by Msgme
November 15, 2012 at 7:19 AM

I have 2 kids in high school and one in 5th grade.  My 5th grader the whole school gets free lunch we don't even get those forms to fill out everyone just gets free lunch.  But my 2 high schoolers i give them $5 a day.  thats $25 a week per kid  comes to a total of $200 a month in lunch money. 

Replies

• wiener
    by wiener
    November 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    Its 2.20 a day at my sons school for lunch, he don't eat lunch their everyday sometimes he will bring a lunch but I'm averaging $50 a month depending on what sides he gets
  • _WC_Mama
    November 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I was going to let my DS purchase lunch this year but I decided just to pack lunch every day,he's a 3rd grader,this week I don't have to pack lunches since they get out at noon every day this week and next week due to parent/teacher conferences,I also have 6 year old DD who's in first grade and I pack her a lunch every day...I do let them buy lunch maybe once a month if there is something they really would like to have and I give them $5 each since the Lunch is $3.75 and Milk is $0.50 all meals include Milk though

• LucyHarper
    November 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM

They bring lunch, so it ends up costing us less then a dollar a day per child. The days that they do buy, if it's something they really like, it's 1.75-2.50, drink included, depending on what they get, so if they got it every day, it would be $8.75-12.50 a week. What are they getting that it's costing $5 per meal?

• Msgme
    by Msgme
    November 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Quoting christina0607:

I pack their lunches at home, so I have no idea.

Don't you give them money so they can eat outside of the school everyday? It's not really that expensive for them to eat.

My dd buys food outside of school every day.   She buys a sandwich a drink and a snack for later in the day since she's in school till 6 most days.   My son buys lunch from school which the basic lunch is $2.00 and then milk is $.50  but its really not a whole lotta food. If he wants extra food or the better food it costs more.  Even salad costs more. He ends up spending about $3.75 -$4.50  a day. 

• mary841108
    November 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM

our elem school does free lunches for all the kids too. but my kids pack, i spend maybe $10 a week on the groceries for it.

• ninipanini
    November 17, 2012 at 7:19 AM

my kids usually take their lunch, it runs about $2 for both kids $1 per kids, with a school bought milk, either a loaded salad with beans and a piece of fruit, or a sammie with peppers, carrots and fruit on the side

when they buy school lunch it's about 2.50 or something like that and it's a whole lotta macky d' type food(burger and fry, chicken nuggets, pizza, etc.) for their entree.  Yes they have a fruit and veggie cart that everyone completely ignores, LOL.

• notjstasocermom
    November 17, 2012 at 8:00 AM

2.35 a day (unless they take lunch that day) for my middle and high schooler

2.15 a day for my kinder.

why give them so much 

• JTROX
    by JTROX
    November 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM

My elem kid is $2.35 a day.   My hs kid is $2.75 a day.  My lunch at school is $2 a day.  All include milk.

• Dzyre1115
    November 17, 2012 at 8:18 AM

My oldest was $5 a day as well.  My two younger children usually pack lunch.  If they want lunch in school it's $2.50 a day plus $0.50 a day for milk.

• kayandjsmom
    November 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    I pack her lunch 4 days a week and she picks 1 day for hot lunch. It's $2.25. I don't know how much each lunch I pack averages out to be.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN