The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Luna091306
Cold vs pertussis....
November 14, 2012 at 5:00 PM

How can you tell the difference? Especially in a young infant?

About three weeks ago my six year old dd came home with what I thought was a cold. I got it as did my 5 month old ds. Running nose, low grade fever, and a cough. It seemed to get better and then the past weekend it came back. My ds has coughing fits that last maybe a min and he gags. He has also had eye boogers the past few days. I made him an appt to see the dr tomorrow. He doesn't seem fussier than usual. When he's awake he is generally happy and his normal self but it worries me this is week 3 of this "cold" and it hasn't let up.

Replies

• arj767s
    by arj767s
    November 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    My son had a couple of colds that lasted a while. He was a daycare baby, so it sucked. Anyway, he had to build up his antibodies, so it took a little longer for him to get over it. :(
  • momtoBrenna
    November 14, 2012 at 8:34 PM

There is a virus going around that lasts forever and has turned to pneumonia for both of my kids. We have been fighting it off and on for 2 months now. The pneumonias were bacterial for my kids so, he could have developed one as well. I hope he feels better soon!

Quoting Luna091306:

Not all infants make the "whooping" sound though. He doesn't make the sound but what worries me is he gags and seems to have trouble catching his breath.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Pertussis has a distinctive sound to it and it is caused by a bacteria not a virus like a cold. It is also called whooping cough because of how it sounds. The fits last a long time and usually have the person turning blue from lack of oxygen during the fits. I hope your baby is okay.

• Kris_PBG
    November 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I would think you have heard of it - it is also called "whooping cough".

It is certainly not new, as it is an old illness.  I am shocked if someone only recently heard of it.

Quoting JustMe0326:

I had never heard of pertussis until they made a commercial about it on tv and the radio and now everyone freaks out about it and thinks they have it.
    Organized fear....good job media.

• Kris_PBG
    November 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I had pertussis as a teenager.

It was one of the scariest periods of my life.

During the coughing fits, you feel like you might as well be 10 feet down under water.  It is like drowning on land - and no one can help you until the coughing stops.

• frndlyfn
    November 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I would just get him checked out as you are doing.  I thought my dd who is 6 had it but since one of my brothers had it as a child, mom was able to listen to dd's cough and determine she just had some type of crud.  DD would not take any coughing aids either so would keep us all up at night.  We had to buy a new vaporizer you plug in and is waterless.

• Luna091306
    November 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Eh, I didn't think of that. I hope so too. Hopefully tomorrow will ease my mind. Thank you.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

There is a virus going around that lasts forever and has turned to pneumonia for both of my kids. We have been fighting it off and on for 2 months now. The pneumonias were bacterial for my kids so, he could have developed one as well. I hope he feels better soon!

Quoting Luna091306:

Not all infants make the "whooping" sound though. He doesn't make the sound but what worries me is he gags and seems to have trouble catching his breath.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Pertussis has a distinctive sound to it and it is caused by a bacteria not a virus like a cold. It is also called whooping cough because of how it sounds. The fits last a long time and usually have the person turning blue from lack of oxygen during the fits. I hope your baby is okay.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts