The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
mom2the.rescue
Who's right? piog
November 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Here's something that has been bugging me for a couple months now, and the holidays are making me think about it more. We had a big party this past summer, people of all ages for the entire day & night. 2 of the families left super early (2 of my aunts, their husbands, and their adult sons) because they felt it was a dangerous place.

We bought a house with some property and have some 4 wheelers & a go cart. I require that all minors have parent's approval and wear safety gear. For adults, I just ask if they know how to ride. My aunts thought it was horrible that I don't also require adults to wear helmets. They are offered, but it is not a rule to ride. I personally think it is very stupid to ride anything like that w/o a helmet, but whatever...these are adults. Their sons-my cousins-chose to not wear helmets (they are all right around 19-25). While I was preparing food (for about 60 people), keeping an eye on kids, and mingling, my aunts & uncles thought I should be yelling at these guys and forcing them to wear helmets. I wouldn't. So they left. And I don't expect them to come back to a party like that.

Also, in the back of the yard, some guys were doing some target practice. These are all licensed guys who weren't drinking...but it totally freaked out some of my family (I should mention they've done very similar things at their parties).

What do you think? Should I make it a requirement that even adults wear helmets?

Replies

• Megan11587
    November 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Well, the only reason I would say yes is to protect yourself from a lawsuit if someone gets injured.

• grey7399
    November 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM

The helmets were there, they chose to not use them.  They were asking for trouble.

I say yes.  Require everyone to wear safety gear.  & no liqour.

• mom2the.rescue
    November 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I've always felt that offering them was enough...and just now I'm thinking that might be enough to protect me in a lawsuit?  hmm I'm gonna call an attorney with this question.

Quoting Megan11587:

Well, the only reason I would say yes is to protect yourself from a lawsuit if someone gets injured.

• JustMe0326
    November 14, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    Oh jeeze. I sorta think some of your family is overreacting. I have the same situation in my life. My brother is the one with a lot of land, a building full of quads and dirt bikes and my df goes out there to shoot. It's country living. We're the same way. The kids are required to wear gear to ride, adults are not. You can't force another adult to do something. That's just ridiculous.
    I say if they want to leave, let em. The people who aren't wearing helmets are grown adults and can handle themselves.
  • mom2the.rescue
    November 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM

thanks.  I get frustrated enough making kids listen to me.  I don't want to be bossing around adults too kwim?  As long as what the grown ups are doing isn't endangering anyone else, I don't think I'll be changing my rules.

Quoting JustMe0326:

Oh jeeze. I sorta think some of your family is overreacting. I have the same situation in my life. My brother is the one with a lot of land, a building full of quads and dirt bikes and my df goes out there to shoot. It's country living. We're the same way. The kids are required to wear gear to ride, adults are not. You can't force another adult to do something. That's just ridiculous.
    I say if they want to leave, let em. The people who aren't wearing helmets are grown adults and can handle themselves.

• connie45
    November 15, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    Maybe dancing and pin the tale on the donkey would be safer for them .
  • christina0607
    November 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Why does someone have to be "right"....they didn't want to be involved with something obviously stupid, so they chose to leave. You don't care that it's stupid, thats your choice.

No one is wrong here.

I would have left too.

• SpiritedWitch
    November 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I love the old saying ... You can't please everyone all the time. Remember that it is your place and you set the rules, not your guests. If they do not like it, let them leave. I have a feeling they would be one of those couples who would ruin the rest of the evening by constantly making snippy, snide comments about the incident.

As for the adults wearing/ not wearing helmets, my suggestion is to check your home owners insurance and see what it says. Tell them that the insurance requires everyone to wear one. Also check your state law about helmets. 

• mom2the.rescue
    November 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

The question was who's right-me or my aunts: Should I make adults wear helmets.  I agree it's stupid not to.  But they are adults.  It's not even the law to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle going 70 next to 16 yr old drivers down the expressway here...I'm not going to force them to wear one while on a 4 wheeler on the grass.

Quoting christina0607:

Why does someone have to be "right"....they didn't want to be involved with something obviously stupid, so they chose to leave. You don't care that it's stupid, thats your choice.

No one is wrong here.

I would have left too.

• mom2the.rescue
    November 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM

lol, maybe next time we have a party like that I'll tell them we're having some games like that for their families. 

Quoting connie45:

Maybe dancing and pin the tale on the donkey would be safer for them .

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts