The CafeMom Newcomers Club

mom2the.rescue
Who's right? piog
November 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Here's something that has been bugging me for a couple months now, and the holidays are making me think about it more. We had a big party this past summer, people of all ages for the entire day & night. 2 of the families left super early (2 of my aunts, their husbands, and their adult sons) because they felt it was a dangerous place.

We bought a house with some property and have some 4 wheelers & a go cart. I require that all minors have parent's approval and wear safety gear. For adults, I just ask if they know how to ride. My aunts thought it was horrible that I don't also require adults to wear helmets. They are offered, but it is not a rule to ride. I personally think it is very stupid to ride anything like that w/o a helmet, but whatever...these are adults. Their sons-my cousins-chose to not wear helmets (they are all right around 19-25). While I was preparing food (for about 60 people), keeping an eye on kids, and mingling, my aunts & uncles thought I should be yelling at these guys and forcing them to wear helmets. I wouldn't. So they left. And I don't expect them to come back to a party like that.

Also, in the back of the yard, some guys were doing some target practice. These are all licensed guys who weren't drinking...but it totally freaked out some of my family (I should mention they've done very similar things at their parties).

What do you think? Should I make it a requirement that even adults wear helmets?

Replies

• unspecified42
    November 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I would require helmets, and, because of the liability you have as the homeowner and owner of the vehicles, you absolutely should be as well. If someone crashes and has head trauma on YOUR land and YOUR vehicle, it won't matter that they chose not to wear a helmet.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts