The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Cafe Amanda
Exclusive Poll: Anti-Vax Parents’ Paranoia Puts Everyone at Risk
November 13, 2012 at 3:12 PM

A few weeks ago we posted a link to a poll about vaccinations, and this is what the results showed. What do you think? And what's your take on this author's opinion about it all?

-----------------------------

Exclusive Poll: Anti-Vax Parents’ Paranoia Puts Everyone at Risk

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham
on November 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM

For many moms and dads, the choice of whether or not to vaccinate is a complicated one. It shouldn't be. But the fact is some flawed scientific studies and a lot of paranoia have led to fewer parents vaccinating. And these people aren't necessarily who you would think.

A joint survey between CafeMom and Parade revealed the views of many parents when it comes to vaccination, and there were some big surprises. For instance, only 47 percent of our respondents claimed they follow their pediatrician's advice all the time and another 43 percent said they only trust their pediatrician a little or not at all.

That's pretty stunning when you think about it. How can you possibly work with a pediatrician you don't trust? Is this paranoia? Or are these parents right? See some comments from the survey below:

Quote:

Immunizations are a guaranteed, serious source of income to Big Pharma. and every doctor. Immunizations prevent our children from developing a strong immune system. Childhood diseases are no more than an 'inconvenience' because there isn't a parent in the home! When mercury is used as an ingred. of vaccines, how much concern was there for the 'health' of our people/children? School districts have no right to even weigh in on immunizations, their job is to educate.
Quote:

That they have to look at the big picture, that not vaccinated doesn't just involve their children but the 32,661,022 entire community. There is no reason why healthy kids should not be vaccinated when there are babies, children and adults with uncompromised immune systems that depend on herd immunity!

Clearly, people are very, very mixed on vaccination. But they need to get over it. Really. They do. Every child that isn't vaccinated is a risk to another child who may have some kind of physical reason why they either cannot be vaccinated or cannot develop immunity. The less people who vaccinate, the more likely we are to have eradicated diseases come back.

Obviously we don't have to follow every bit of information our pediatricians give, but the fact is they have our child's best interests at heart. And if you think they don't? You need a new one who does. All of this is based on flawed science. There is more.

According to our survey, people are divided 50/50 as to whether the states should allow parents with "philosophical reasons" to not vaccinate. As of now, only 19 states offer that as an option while all allow for religious or health reasons. Another 53 percent of our respondents felt that children who are unvaccinated should NOT be allowed in public schools.

They have good reason for these concerns. "Herd immunity" -- the immunity that develops for an entire group of people -- is compromised by the segment of the population refusing to vaccinate. If they had REAL scientific evidence, it might be one thing. But they don't. It's fear. It's paranoia. And it's hurting us all.

There isn't a mother alive who isn't sympathetic to the idea of worrying about what we put in our kid's bodies. We all know that fear and worry and we all have it. But to compromise all children for a bit of wacky "science" that has no basis in reality is downright wrong.

I agree with the majority of our survey-takers that children who don't vaccinate shouldn't be allowed in the public schools unless they have some kind of very specific reason. It's just too risky to younger siblings, adults, and those with compromised immunity.

Choosing to not vaccinate is playing with fire. If you don't trust your pediatrician, get a new one!

Do you vaccinate? Do you want kids who don't vaccinate in public schools?

Image via USACE Europe District/Flickr

Replies

• Mazie0723
    November 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    That's why I got vaccinated for it. :)

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Newly born infants are not fully immunized yet. If their parent goes to the grocery store for Pampers and came back after being exposed to whooping cough because someone else wasn't immunized and was infected with it, they might pass it on to their newborn.

Quoting Mazie0723:

If their child is "protected" by these vaccines then why worry if mine aren't? Maybe they don't trust these chemicals and much as they say.

• Sanctimommy
    November 15, 2012 at 7:59 PM

If you are vaccinated, but your child is not, the child might have what looks to be a normal headcold. You take the child to Wally World to pick up some children's cough drops or Pedialyte or whatever, not knowing your child has whooping cough. Meanwhile, your child is sneezing and coughing on the cart handles, on the diaper display in the baby aisle, on the check out counter. Now those germs are sitting there, waiting for the next unsuspecting customer who might have a newborn at home. 

That new parent might be immunized, but the germs are all over the package of diapers they just purchased for their infant. Now everytime they change its diapers, they are unknowingly exposing their newborn to whooping cough. That particular pathogen can live on surfaces for up to five days.

Quoting Mazie0723:

That's why I got vaccinated for it. :)

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Newly born infants are not fully immunized yet. If their parent goes to the grocery store for Pampers and came back after being exposed to whooping cough because someone else wasn't immunized and was infected with it, they might pass it on to their newborn.

Quoting Mazie0723:

If their child is "protected" by these vaccines then why worry if mine aren't? Maybe they don't trust these chemicals and much as they say.

• preggars
    November 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    I vax
  • MariannLws
    November 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Not in our school district. No exemptions low. I spoke with my daughter's school this morning to double check. The AP explained that some districts do allow exemptions while ours do not. So we are both correct on this matter with Texas schools. 

• HelloSweetie
    November 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Is it a private school? No public school or district can have it's own laws contradicting the state laws.

Quoting MariannLws:

Not in our school district. No exemptions low. I spoke with my daughter's school this morning to double check. The AP explained that some districts do allow exemptions while ours do not. So we are both correct on this matter with Texas schools. 

• littlelamb303
    November 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM

vaccinating is the only responsible to do.  I work with children and had to be vaccinated with the MMR booster a few years back because there was an epidemic of people sending their kids to school with no vaccines at all.   My doctor was concerned because I have a chronic illness and some horrific disease that was wiped out years ago would surely kill me. Measles and whooping cough are spreading again,  and there has been cases of polio.  Non vaccinating moms should be very worried.

• kansasmom1978
    November 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM

What I mean by no one knows what causes it for sure, is they DON"T know for sure. It could be vaccines, genetics,the crap we eat, the crap we breath. the crap in the ground. Any or all of the above. I myself lean towards genetics, you lean towards vaccines. We could both be wrong, you could be right,I could be right, or we could both be right. 

What matters is our children have a disorder that there is no cure for and we should be supporting each other. Not fighting over the cause.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

We surely can disagree. That won't stop me from commenting on things like "only idiots believe vaccines cause Autism" and it won't stop me from getting a chuckle when you follow it up with " the thing is no one knows what causes Autism". You apparently have more of an idea than the Federal Vaccine Court.

I will continue to argue it because every time I do, I meet a new parent of a vaccine injured child and I almost always get at least 1 message from a mom with questions and that is why I do it. Because people need to know the risks AND parents like me need to know they're not alone.

have a good night

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The things is that no one knows what causes autism. People just decide well it's probably this and then they fight over it. It's not worth fighting over. My great uncle has severe autism. He was not vaccinated. My cousin has Aspergers. My BIL has Aspergers and my DH's father is probably on the spectrum as well. It goes further back according to family members. Do I think there could be more then genes responsible? Sure. One little girl I know has a genetic disorder that they know caused her autism. You are fairly certain vaccines caused your dd autism. Does it make either of you wrong?  All we can do is love our children and do what we feel is best. Arguing the cause of Autism never solves anything. It just makes people mad. We can disagree, that's okay. 

• kansasmom1978
    November 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I've only ever heard of the MMR link. Not any of the others. Vaccines cause all sorts of problems. I don't know everything, I read all I can about autism and it's possible links to stuff.  I myself focus on things that will help my son, since he already has it. I can't take it back, so I want to help him. I want to give him a chance to live life. That is my focus.  I held my breath while pregnant with my dd terrified she would also have Autism.  I had her screened 5 times before she was 2. She is A typical. I did nothing different. So I don't know. I honestly don't know. Our community has several autisitic people in it and we have a support group. Vaccines is not allowed in the topics. It's to heated. We generally don't talk about causes.  We talk about treatments, doctors, therapies, meds etc..... 

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Both of those links discuss the MMR/Autism link. That's it. No one has ever done a study on the MMR combined with Varicella or DTaP or HiB.... I want those studies. VACCINE studies. Not A vaccine study. But thank you.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4026.pdf

http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/page-1/QUA-270215/MMR-Vaccine-Does-Not-Cause-Autism-Says-IOM

Quoting HelloSweetie:

I would be very interested to read these studies. Could you please put links to them here?

None of this changes the fact that several families have won in vaccine court or that children ARE harmed by vaccines sometimes.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

I have read many studies that say MMR was ruled out. To blame something without proof on vaccines is stupid. There is NO proof that autism is caused by anything in particular. It could one thing or the next or a combination. Trust I have looked. My son has autism and I research all the time trying to find out why he is autiistic.

• HelloSweetie
    November 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I agree and disagree with you. I dislike the fighting. I find it difficult to stand idly by while women in a mother's forum call mothers like myself "idiots" for speaking about what they saw their child go through. I can't. It would be a disservice to my child and what she has been through and what she has overcome.  4 years ago, she was non-verbal, non-comminicative and unresponsive. Today, she is in 1st grade, reading at a 3rd grade level and one of the teacher's favorites. She still has sensory issues and problems socializing but she's doing wonderfully.

Have you tried gluten free?

Also- I believe it is a bit of everything you listed. Genetic predispositions to autoimmune disorders and mithochondrial mutations that weaken the immune response and the toxins in out environment overwhelm the system and it shuts down. In our case, the 7 vaccines were the trigger.

I fight for an answer to the cause not just for my daughter- but for all those to come who will be diagnosed- if there is a way to prevent it- it should be found. No stone left unturned.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

What I mean by no one knows what causes it for sure, is they DON"T know for sure. It could be vaccines, genetics,the crap we eat, the crap we breath. the crap in the ground. Any or all of the above. I myself lean towards genetics, you lean towards vaccines. We could both be wrong, you could be right,I could be right, or we could both be right. 

What matters is our children have a disorder that there is no cure for and we should be supporting each other. Not fighting over the cause.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

We surely can disagree. That won't stop me from commenting on things like "only idiots believe vaccines cause Autism" and it won't stop me from getting a chuckle when you follow it up with " the thing is no one knows what causes Autism". You apparently have more of an idea than the Federal Vaccine Court.

I will continue to argue it because every time I do, I meet a new parent of a vaccine injured child and I almost always get at least 1 message from a mom with questions and that is why I do it. Because people need to know the risks AND parents like me need to know they're not alone.

have a good night

Quoting kansasmom1978:

The things is that no one knows what causes autism. People just decide well it's probably this and then they fight over it. It's not worth fighting over. My great uncle has severe autism. He was not vaccinated. My cousin has Aspergers. My BIL has Aspergers and my DH's father is probably on the spectrum as well. It goes further back according to family members. Do I think there could be more then genes responsible? Sure. One little girl I know has a genetic disorder that they know caused her autism. You are fairly certain vaccines caused your dd autism. Does it make either of you wrong?  All we can do is love our children and do what we feel is best. Arguing the cause of Autism never solves anything. It just makes people mad. We can disagree, that's okay. 

• Jasuzha
    by Jasuzha
    November 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM
    Quoting truealaskanmom:

Yes I can back it up, but your paranoia would just deny it.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN