The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Cafe Amanda
Exclusive Poll: Anti-Vax Parents’ Paranoia Puts Everyone at Risk
November 13, 2012 at 3:12 PM

A few weeks ago we posted a link to a poll about vaccinations, and this is what the results showed. What do you think? And what's your take on this author's opinion about it all?

-----------------------------

Exclusive Poll: Anti-Vax Parents’ Paranoia Puts Everyone at Risk

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham
on November 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM

For many moms and dads, the choice of whether or not to vaccinate is a complicated one. It shouldn't be. But the fact is some flawed scientific studies and a lot of paranoia have led to fewer parents vaccinating. And these people aren't necessarily who you would think.

A joint survey between CafeMom and Parade revealed the views of many parents when it comes to vaccination, and there were some big surprises. For instance, only 47 percent of our respondents claimed they follow their pediatrician's advice all the time and another 43 percent said they only trust their pediatrician a little or not at all.

That's pretty stunning when you think about it. How can you possibly work with a pediatrician you don't trust? Is this paranoia? Or are these parents right? See some comments from the survey below:

Quote:

Immunizations are a guaranteed, serious source of income to Big Pharma. and every doctor. Immunizations prevent our children from developing a strong immune system. Childhood diseases are no more than an 'inconvenience' because there isn't a parent in the home! When mercury is used as an ingred. of vaccines, how much concern was there for the 'health' of our people/children? School districts have no right to even weigh in on immunizations, their job is to educate.
Quote:

That they have to look at the big picture, that not vaccinated doesn't just involve their children but the 32,661,022 entire community. There is no reason why healthy kids should not be vaccinated when there are babies, children and adults with uncompromised immune systems that depend on herd immunity!

Clearly, people are very, very mixed on vaccination. But they need to get over it. Really. They do. Every child that isn't vaccinated is a risk to another child who may have some kind of physical reason why they either cannot be vaccinated or cannot develop immunity. The less people who vaccinate, the more likely we are to have eradicated diseases come back.

Obviously we don't have to follow every bit of information our pediatricians give, but the fact is they have our child's best interests at heart. And if you think they don't? You need a new one who does. All of this is based on flawed science. There is more.

According to our survey, people are divided 50/50 as to whether the states should allow parents with "philosophical reasons" to not vaccinate. As of now, only 19 states offer that as an option while all allow for religious or health reasons. Another 53 percent of our respondents felt that children who are unvaccinated should NOT be allowed in public schools.

They have good reason for these concerns. "Herd immunity" -- the immunity that develops for an entire group of people -- is compromised by the segment of the population refusing to vaccinate. If they had REAL scientific evidence, it might be one thing. But they don't. It's fear. It's paranoia. And it's hurting us all.

There isn't a mother alive who isn't sympathetic to the idea of worrying about what we put in our kid's bodies. We all know that fear and worry and we all have it. But to compromise all children for a bit of wacky "science" that has no basis in reality is downright wrong.

I agree with the majority of our survey-takers that children who don't vaccinate shouldn't be allowed in the public schools unless they have some kind of very specific reason. It's just too risky to younger siblings, adults, and those with compromised immunity.

Choosing to not vaccinate is playing with fire. If you don't trust your pediatrician, get a new one!

Do you vaccinate? Do you want kids who don't vaccinate in public schools?

Image via USACE Europe District/Flickr

Replies

• divinedimension
    November 14, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Poor little sheep. Go get your vaccines like a good sheep. Do what they say. Do you eat the GMOs, too and drink the diet drinks with aspartame? Poor thing. Think for yourself. 

• louzannalady
    November 14, 2012 at 2:23 AM
    How many hours have you read the ingredients in the vaccines from the CDC website, then looked up those ingredients from non-biased, reputable sources? How many hours have you spent reading how each specific disease is spread? How many people contract that specific disease each year? What the rate of death is for said disease? What the permanent injury rate for contracting said disease? What happens to the immune system after the disease has passed? What the course of treatment is for the disease? Have you reveiwed the vaccine insert for that ailment? Have you looked over the VAERS for the vaccine for that ailment? How does the vaccine work (is it a live virus vax, for example)?

Until you can answer ALL of those questions about ONE vaccine, then how well educated are you on the subject of vaccine or even just that single vaccine? If you do not know the answer to these things about even that one vax, how can you truly weigh the risks and benefits yourself for what is best for you or your child? Are you really making an informed decision about you or your child's health, if you don't know the good, the bad and the ugly?

I am not anti-vax. But, I am not gung-ho pro-vax. I do, however, advocate for people to exercise their right to informed consent and informed refusal. It is important to educate ourselves and know what those benefits and risks are, so we are truly confident in our decisions.
  • louzannalady
    November 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM
    You realize a vax designed for the strains in the US are not going to be very effective against strains found in other parts of the world, right? We they make vaxes, it is just a game of roulette with the strains they will include and not include.

Quoting popomill:

Something with this I feel a lot of people are missing is that yes, a lot of these diseases are gone in the US, but we are becoming an increasingly global planet where all it takes is a few hours on a plane and you can go from Overseas to the US and you better believe that overseas a lot of places still have things like mumps and whooping cough. The people coming over here might not be vaxed and could be infected and not even know it. And then what is going to happen when they come into contact with a NON-vaxed kid? The kid could get what ever that person has, get really sick and possibly die. I say, why take that chance? In the past 5 years my son has been around I've met more people from Germany, India, and Egypt than I ever have in my entire life. More people are coming to this country, whether to stay or visit, and they can all me carriers of deadly diseases.
    Just make sure you keep that in mind when you are thinking about all the diseases that "aren't around any more" because just because they aren't in the US doesn't mean they aren't some place else. Everything is just a plane ride away now....

• louzannalady
    November 14, 2012 at 2:35 AM
    What are you TALKING about? That makes no sense! Kids that are vaxed get sick with these diseases, too! (Studies are showing that vaxed kids are actually sick more often. And the CDC has even stated that those who are up to date on their whooping cough vax are more likely to conteact it!) It makes no sense they would shut down a doctors office, because *GASP* a sick child came to be seen!

Quoting Momniscient:

That's just silly.

Who can't be vaccinated? That's probably the biggest concern. I chose a pediatrician who didn't take unvaccinated patients because I wasn't about to worry about a quarantine or my infant in their office.

Are you aware that just ONE documented case of a vaccine preventable disease will shut down a pedi office completely for as long as it takes to make sure that person isn't putting others at risk?

Quoting Mazie0723:

If their child is "protected" by these vaccines then why worry if mine aren't? Maybe they don't trust these chemicals and much as they say.

• Bonita131
    November 14, 2012 at 2:36 AM

If your child is not protected from a preventable disease & dies, you will be responsible for your child's death. 

Quoting Mazie0723:

If their child is "protected" by these vaccines then why worry if mine aren't? Maybe they don't trust these chemicals and much as they say.

• eykelley
    November 14, 2012 at 2:39 AM
    I don't vaccinate. I work in the healthcare industry... And I still don't vaccinate. Lol. Tells u that I know a lot more about what really goes on. I've seen the damages of both options. I chose which I felt was better.

If u don't want my kids going to school w/ urs... That's fine. I'll put him in a different school. But don't for 1 second thing that that will stop ur kid from getting sick.

This is only one of the hundreds of reasons we don't vaccinate...http://www.iansvoice.org/
  • Akeso
    by Akeso
    November 14, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Here is a link to every country's vaccination schedules from the World Health Org:

http://apps.who.int/immunization_monitoring/en/globalsummary/scheduleselect.cfm

Here is a link to the WHO's vaccination recommendations in tables:

http://www.who.int/immunization/policy/immunization_tables/en/

At the bottom of the tables, they write:

"While vaccines are universally recommended, some children may have contraindications to particular vaccines."

There are actually government funds in the UK for one that are set aside for children who are permanently damaged due to vaccines. This means that they are aware that there is an issue with vaccinating children/babies. I understand in the US they vaccinate from newborn. I disagree with that practice, with the thought of overloading or compromising such a tiny being's immune system when they haven't even lived yet (I was recommended to limit my newborn's exposure to other people who aren't immediate family, and keep esp keep school-age children at a distance through their first winter) just doesn't seem like common sense.

The practice of forcing parents to vaccinate at every doctor's visit does not sit right. It just makes me suspicious of Big Pharma.

I am also skeptical of the utter vilification of the doctor who said there was a link with autism and vaccinations. There has not been enough research and it is plausible that there might be, even insofar as triggers are concerned. I have vaccinated my child but not from birth, and I held off multi-loaded vaccinations until my child started playschool (when she would be in contact with a lot of other kids). Also they needed to see her vaccination record.

But I got informed. I knew what brand of vaccination my DD was having, and checked all the ingredients. All said they were not made using preservatives, which is another trigger (especially mercury, which I understand is no longer in use).

I didn't have that many vaccinations when I was a child, so I don't think they are all really necessary. So while I have chosen to vaccinate (but not on their "schedule"), I am very aware of the issue and I would be devastated if my child were one of those children with the "contraindications" (you don't find out until you vaccinate), especially permanently damaged because of a chicken pox vaccine.

So my opinion is, there are valid arguments and real concerns for both sides, so no parent should be made to feel stupid because they disagree with someone else's choice. 

• 2girlsMom.MN
    November 14, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I unselfishly vaccinate my children as my civil duty as a citizen of our country. Ya'll who don't vaccinate are SELFISH. I aint worried about my kids I know they are safe. But when your kids contract the diseasess and spread it like wild fire to those who are unable to be vaccinated or have compromised immune systems then we have a problem. I was asked last year at my yearly physical if I would get a whopping cough vaccine. Not because I'm at risk or my kids are but because most adults get it unknowlingly and and pass it onto infants etc. I'm not even around infants. I did it because it's the right thing to do. I can't believe how selfish some of you are. I'm glad your child is "holier" and "better" than everyone elses child. When your kid is dying in a hospital bed I don't even wanna hear it. 

• 2girlsMom.MN
    November 14, 2012 at 3:04 AM

When my child contracts head lice and I refuse to treat their hair because the chemicals are so harsh and unsafe is it ok if our kids sit next to eachother and share a book? I mean the school has no right to think my child is a health threat, it's their job to educate not over step their boundaries right? Then I'll lie and say it's our religous beliefs that we don't treat for head lice. Head lice are our friends. God made bugs and it would be a sin to kill them. Hmmmm.. That would make me awfully SELFISH wouldn't it. And don't even say I could cut my daughter's beautiful hair off because that's against our religous beliefs too. 

• bellawomen
    November 14, 2012 at 3:13 AM
    I choose not to vaccinate. Nothing any random mom on this site would cause me to run out and get my son every shot he has "missed" in his almost 9 years. I made this educated choice and am free to do so. I would never live in a state that the government got to choose my medical rights of myself or my child.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts