The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cafe Amanda
Exclusive Poll: Anti-Vax Parents’ Paranoia Puts Everyone at Risk
November 13, 2012 at 3:12 PM

A few weeks ago we posted a link to a poll about vaccinations, and this is what the results showed. What do you think? And what's your take on this author's opinion about it all?

-----------------------------

Exclusive Poll: Anti-Vax Parents’ Paranoia Puts Everyone at Risk

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham
on November 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM

For many moms and dads, the choice of whether or not to vaccinate is a complicated one. It shouldn't be. But the fact is some flawed scientific studies and a lot of paranoia have led to fewer parents vaccinating. And these people aren't necessarily who you would think.

A joint survey between CafeMom and Parade revealed the views of many parents when it comes to vaccination, and there were some big surprises. For instance, only 47 percent of our respondents claimed they follow their pediatrician's advice all the time and another 43 percent said they only trust their pediatrician a little or not at all.

That's pretty stunning when you think about it. How can you possibly work with a pediatrician you don't trust? Is this paranoia? Or are these parents right? See some comments from the survey below:

Quote:

Immunizations are a guaranteed, serious source of income to Big Pharma. and every doctor. Immunizations prevent our children from developing a strong immune system. Childhood diseases are no more than an 'inconvenience' because there isn't a parent in the home! When mercury is used as an ingred. of vaccines, how much concern was there for the 'health' of our people/children? School districts have no right to even weigh in on immunizations, their job is to educate.
Quote:

That they have to look at the big picture, that not vaccinated doesn't just involve their children but the 32,661,022 entire community. There is no reason why healthy kids should not be vaccinated when there are babies, children and adults with uncompromised immune systems that depend on herd immunity!

Clearly, people are very, very mixed on vaccination. But they need to get over it. Really. They do. Every child that isn't vaccinated is a risk to another child who may have some kind of physical reason why they either cannot be vaccinated or cannot develop immunity. The less people who vaccinate, the more likely we are to have eradicated diseases come back.

Obviously we don't have to follow every bit of information our pediatricians give, but the fact is they have our child's best interests at heart. And if you think they don't? You need a new one who does. All of this is based on flawed science. There is more.

According to our survey, people are divided 50/50 as to whether the states should allow parents with "philosophical reasons" to not vaccinate. As of now, only 19 states offer that as an option while all allow for religious or health reasons. Another 53 percent of our respondents felt that children who are unvaccinated should NOT be allowed in public schools.

They have good reason for these concerns. "Herd immunity" -- the immunity that develops for an entire group of people -- is compromised by the segment of the population refusing to vaccinate. If they had REAL scientific evidence, it might be one thing. But they don't. It's fear. It's paranoia. And it's hurting us all.

There isn't a mother alive who isn't sympathetic to the idea of worrying about what we put in our kid's bodies. We all know that fear and worry and we all have it. But to compromise all children for a bit of wacky "science" that has no basis in reality is downright wrong.

I agree with the majority of our survey-takers that children who don't vaccinate shouldn't be allowed in the public schools unless they have some kind of very specific reason. It's just too risky to younger siblings, adults, and those with compromised immunity.

Choosing to not vaccinate is playing with fire. If you don't trust your pediatrician, get a new one!

Do you vaccinate? Do you want kids who don't vaccinate in public schools?

Image via USACE Europe District/Flickr

Replies

• LadyBugMom09
    November 14, 2012 at 12:49 AM
    So you're telling me that no unvaxed people have ever gotten a disease ever? No chickken pox, no measles, no whooping cough... never ever?????

Quoting truealaskanmom:

you do understnad that unvaccinted people are not walking around with diseases to spread?  Also most adults are not vaccinated, when was the last time you got all the boosters? 

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

This.

And vax don't protect you 100%. It significantly reduces your chance of contracting and if everyone else around you is vax then the chances are even better.

If a vaxed kid comes in contact with a full blown disease from an unvaxed kid, the vaxed kid still has a small chance of getting infected.

Quoting grey7399:

Wow you are really into yourself aren't you?

You don't get it.  Not every child can be protected.  Nor every adult.  Babies & pregnant women are especially susceptible.  Then there are the elderly.

THOSE are the ones to protect.   The ones who got the shots are protected.  Then the ones who aren't able to get the shots are thusly protected by the healthy herd.

By choosing to not vax your child, you create a weak link in the herd.  An undeserved weakness.

Quoting Mazie0723:

If their child is "protected" by these vaccines then why worry if mine aren't? Maybe they don't trust these chemicals and much as they say.

• karisma22
    November 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Most states have waivers that you can sign for religious and/or philosophical reasons.

Quoting sspaschal2427:

What I don't get is how do kids go to school who aren't vaxed when school requires vax? I vax but just curious

• Sammi20
    by Sammi20
    November 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I vaccinate so we are good here. Those who don't are just asking for trouble... Sorry its true.

• N_maricle
    November 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I don't give a shit what pro vac people say. I will not expose  my kids to the toxic crap in vaccines. If you want to, that is your choice.  But shutup already and quit talking down those who don't choose the same as you! 

• Jasuzha
    by Jasuzha
    November 14, 2012 at 12:59 AM
    Quoting LectioDivina:

So, They're mad because they know the vaccines don't work . If anything, they lower the chances of getting whatever the vax is for. 

You lower the chances your way, and I will lower the chances my way.

That's not what it said. It says your unvaccinated child is a risk to babies, who haven't been vaccinated, pregnant women, and the elderly with surpressed immune systems. Vaccines have been around for decades and work. That's why its rare for people to have things like measles, mumps, rubella, polio, etc.
  • AlwaysKISA
    November 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM
    Hhmmm...you realize you are doing exactly that, right?

Anywho....i don't care what other people do....

Quoting N_maricle:

I don't give a shit what pro vac people say. I will not expose  my kids to the toxic crap in vaccines. If you want to, that is your choice.  But shutup already and quit talking down those who don't choose the same as you! 

• Apollos82
    November 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM
    I would like to tell "big pharma" that as soon as they stop putting formaldehyde, aluminum, and whatever the heck else the vaccine itself is suspended in, into their injections, I might listen a little better.

But when someone comes at my child with a syringe full of crap for a vaccine for an STD (for a newborn?!) I'm going to deck them in the face. Sorry if that's "wrong" for society, but it's right for my baby.
  • corinthians81
    November 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM

My daughter is 13,she's vaxed.I can honestly say I am not sure if I will vax when we have more children.I have more research I need to do on the subject.

Check out this article:

http://wakeup-world.com/2012/11/12/time-for-a-wake-up-call-the-vaccination-hoax-debunked/

• Momniscient
    November 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM

That's just silly.

Who can't be vaccinated? That's probably the biggest concern. I chose a pediatrician who didn't take unvaccinated patients because I wasn't about to worry about a quarantine or my infant in their office.

Are you aware that just ONE documented case of a vaccine preventable disease will shut down a pedi office completely for as long as it takes to make sure that person isn't putting others at risk?

Quoting Mazie0723:

If their child is "protected" by these vaccines then why worry if mine aren't? Maybe they don't trust these chemicals and much as they say.

• EmmaZate
    November 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM
    Here's the way I see it.... Vaccinating saves lives. When is the last time we heard of someone dieing of small pox in the USA? It's been what, 50 years now? That's thanks to the small pox vaccine, that was given to everyone for several generations, until the disease died out. Now, with less people breast feeding and having immunities pas down through the generations, it will only take one immigrant to come over, unknowingly carrying it, to wipe us all out. That's why vaccines are important. They keep us all safe from deadly diseases.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts