The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Jewell211
No one would help me install carseat!
November 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Yesterday I had to take my minivan to the repair shop and get a rental car. I was very unfamiliar with the car, and yes I admit, I was unfamiliar with the anchor/seatbelt system on the carseat. My husband always moves the seat.
Anyway, the rental car guy tried to help, but we did not have the seat secure. I figured I could drive to the nearest fire department and ask for help. The fire station was about half a mile away, so I drove carefully. But when I got there, the fireman told me that they don't do carseat checks anymore.
He suggested I drive to the Maryland State Police Barracks, which were just around the corner. Great I thought. No one would help me there either. The On-duty officer told me that the safety instructor was off, and there was no one else qualified. I was starting to get frustrated.
He gives me a 1-800 phone number to a national car seat safety hotline. I call the number, thinking someone can give me step by step instructions over the phone. No way- straight to voice mail.
Next I call the Baltimore county police. The dispatcher told me that because of liability, the officers do not help install seats anymore because they were sued over a car seat death. By now I am furious that no one will help.
Feeling that I had no other choice, I call 911. I immediately tell the dispatcher that it's not an emergency, but no other public service officers will help me install a car seat correctly. I explain how I have physically driven to the firehouse, the state police barracks, and I have already called the local police. The 911 dispatcher actually listens to my concerns- that I am driving around with my daughter not securely restrained in her car seat (which by the way is against the law!) I am practically pleading with this person to help me.
Just then a good Samaritan overhears me and comes to my rescue. He installs the seat correctly and I am so thankful.
Long story short, I should have known how to install the seat and I was shocked that No One would help me!
Sorry for the rant!

Replies

• Justine1123
    November 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    I didn't think installing a carseat was that hard. Maybe I just have a basic car seat but I've never struggled.
  • owl0210
    by owl0210
    November 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    I have the anchors it was easy to install.
  • Jewell211
    November 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    It's not, know that I know how to do it. But I really had never done it, and I wanted it to be safe. Plus, I see statistics all the time saying that almost half of carseats are not properly installed.
  • Jade89
    by Jade89
    November 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    I never had trouble installing a seat

Sorry you had a hard time, glad someone stepped in to help!

• Jewell211
    November 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    Copy and paste this to see what I mean:
    http://nj1015.com/is-your-childs-car-seat-installed-properly-audio/
  • babyspots17
    November 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    What kind of carseat was it? You should definately read your carseat manuals and know how to properly install your seats. If you are still unsure go to safekids.org and find a qualified tech in your area to show you how to do it yourself.
  • StrawberryJam20
    November 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM

strange.......my police officers helped install my daughters car seat before i brought her home....it's really not that hard....

• erinsmom1964
    November 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    Most hospitals have a few registered carseat techs for future reference
  • terpmama
    November 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    I installed two for a family from England at the airport cause they had no clue and no one at the car rental place knew either!

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN