The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cafe Amanda
What do you dread most about the holidays?
November 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

This season can definitely be a stressful time. What's the worst part of it for you?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 36% - Family stress.
  2. 15% - Gift giving.
  3. 37% - Breaking the budget.
  4. 1% - Party perfection.
  5. 8% - Weight gain.

Replies

• inspain
    by inspain
    November 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Indigestion. 

Seriously.  I eat too much chocolate and too much starch every damned year and I always end up going to bed, chewing Tums just to keep down the mashed potatoes and chocolate covered cherries.  

I don't worry about the other stuff.  Not issues.  Too far to be visited by family I don't like, I never worry about party "perfection", breaking the budget isn't an issue, gift giving is easy...no, for me, it's indigestion.  

• Allisonc7910
    November 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I would say family stress, I love em but its just stressful getting us all together.  As for my in laws, my husband always wants to stay at their house when we go in, which is fine, but there is usually not too much room because other aunts etc are staying, who usually get the bedroom and we are on the living room couch, not to mention they are up with the roosters in the morning and we all have to get up when they do.  Last time we stayed my dd accidently wet the bed we were in, and she never does that.  It was a mess.  I would rather stay home.

• supermom0609
    November 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    not being able to give like i.wld like to
  • Oceana09
    November 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

This year it will be the family stress. This is our first holiday season without my grandmother. Her and Papa used to always come to my parents house for Thanksgiving and this year we had to bribe him with the fact that my DD was here this year and my DS could possibly be here by then. Christmas is going to be the hardest because it was always my grandmother's favorite holiday and she always made sure their house looked so wonderful for the Holiday. It's just not going to be the same.

• grplovesjlp
    November 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

HAVING TO DEAL WITH MY STUPD MIL .....

• CBMMOM
    by CBMMOM
    November 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Pretty much all I stress about at holiday time is getting enough gifts,but in the last couple years I've reduced my list greatly. I will get my mom and mil gifts. The little kids that are close by each something. Right now there are only 3 to buy for and 2 of them are quite young,so theirs won't cost much at all. And then my own kids. Two of them are grown men now,so they don't expect or want much. I have a 7 year old daughter,so that is where the vast majority of our gift giving will go.

• Teeshann
    November 7, 2012 at 5:32 AM

family stress. my parents throw fits because apparantly i can't do stuff with them and the inlaws. they think it should be one or the other and get upset if i spend time with them then go to inlaws party the day after. yet there are cousins on the inlaws side and at my parents my kids are the only children. so, hmmm. spend all the time with adults or take my children to play with their cousins.

• theresaphilly
    November 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Every year around this time I will loose ten pounds, so when the holidays come around and I began eating like a full pledge PIG, I will not feels so guilty about the weight I gain. And yes, I eat all ten pounds back on by January 2nd. Egg nog, desserts, parties, dips, cheeses, hams, meat ... all that good stuff.  I just get stressed over having the perfect party.

• notjstasocermom
    November 7, 2012 at 7:03 AM

in laws, none of the other stuff is a problem.

• calusari
    November 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I always work hard to find the right gifts for my kids; the older ones tend to ask for more expensive gifts, but since we have six kids that isn't always an option. I love shopping for them, and look forward to them opening their presents...and dread the inevitable reaction of disappointment when they didn't get something they REALLY wanted.

It happens every year; you'd think I'd be used to it by now, but it still sucks.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN