The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
BlessedMommyNE
I have to make a confession...
October 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM
I really have a hard time lying to my kids about the tooth fairy, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. My son had to have a tooth pulled today at the dentist and he has been so excited about it all day about the tooth fairy coming! I played along and was excited with him but a part of me felt bad for lying to him. I know it's fun for kids but I just dread the day I have to tell them that none of these things that they love and get so excited about are real. That we lied to them. Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• TableforSeven
    October 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM
    Honestly - I don't get what the big deal is. I see women on here freaking out about both sides of the issue....whichever way you decide to "play" - just choose what is comfortable to you and live with your choice.
    I will advise that if you choose NOT to have your child believe in these things you teach them early on that other kids DO believe and it is not up to your child to tell other kids the truth.
    We don't celebrate Christmas or Easter - so, obviously, we don't 'do' Santa or the bunny. We decided before our first child lost her first tooth that we would not 'do' the tooth fairy either - we just saw no point in it. We have taught our kids not to spoil the 'fun' for others and have never had any issues.
  • frndlyfn
    October 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM

We dont make a big deal out of all the holiday or special characters.   I was allowed to grow out of it even though now in my 30s I still believe in the idea of easter bunny and santa.  I am not sure about tooth fairy since i pretty much knew from the start it is the parents.  DD knows all the santas out in public are helpers of the needy for most cases and she loves to donate to their cause. 

• shadow_lark
    October 12, 2012 at 1:19 AM
    I didnt know that people told their kids that they weren't real. my parents just let me figure it out on my own. it wasn't tramatizing, Im not damaged and i don't resent my parents. it just sort of happened that one year as i was looking around at the presents from Santa i knew that they were also from my parents. it was just part of growing up.
  • BlessedMommyNE
    October 12, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    I could never ruin the fun of it for him at such a young age and tell them the truth about it. They just enjoy it so much. My son was so excited this morning about the tooth fairy coming last night. When we do feel he's old enough to tell him we will explain the importance of not telling other children. Last her we were on a hayride for our town's Christmas celebration and this kid was on there by himself, no parents, and blurts out that Santa isn't real. I was so upset. Here we are with our kids stuck on this hayride with this kid and unable to get away.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Honestly - I don't get what the big deal is. I see women on here freaking out about both sides of the issue....whichever way you decide to "play" - just choose what is comfortable to you and live with your choice.

I will advise that if you choose NOT to have your child believe in these things you teach them early on that other kids DO believe and it is not up to your child to tell other kids the truth.

We don't celebrate Christmas or Easter - so, obviously, we don't 'do' Santa or the bunny. We decided before our first child lost her first tooth that we would not 'do' the tooth fairy either - we just saw no point in it. We have taught our kids not to spoil the 'fun' for others and have never had any issues.

• BlessedMommyNE
    October 12, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    My oldest starting questioning the mall Santa's he was 4. We had to start telling him that they were Santa's helpers because Santa is so busy during that time getting ready for Christmas that he doesn't have enough time to go to all the different towns and visit the kids and see what they want.

Quoting frndlyfn:

We dont make a big deal out of all the holiday or special characters.   I was allowed to grow out of it even though now in my 30s I still believe in the idea of easter bunny and santa.  I am not sure about tooth fairy since i pretty much knew from the start it is the parents.  DD knows all the santas out in public are helpers of the needy for most cases and she loves to donate to their cause. 

• coolmommy2x
    October 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    Not at all. Santa, Tooth Fairy are part of the magic of childhood (IMO). If your son was that excited, you were right to play along. I think you would've felt worse bursting his bubble.
  • BlessedMommyNE
    October 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    That's good to know. I honestly don't remember being told that all those things weren't real. I'm sure they aren't going to be traumatized when I tell them but its just tough for me to not be truthful with them. I know it probably sounds silly... DH doesn't even know how I feel about it.

Quoting shadow_lark:

I didnt know that people told their kids that they weren't real. my parents just let me figure it out on my own. it wasn't tramatizing, Im not damaged and i don't resent my parents. it just sort of happened that one year as i was looking around at the presents from Santa i knew that they were also from my parents. it was just part of growing up.

• lapcounter
    October 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    My kids know the truth about each.
  • BlessedMommyNE
    October 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    I know... It was fun to see him so excited this morning when he came to tell us at 5:30 this morning that the tooth fairy had come last night. I could never take that excitement away from them just because of my feelings.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Not at all. Santa, Tooth Fairy are part of the magic of childhood (IMO). If your son was that excited, you were right to play along. I think you would've felt worse bursting his bubble.

• BlessedMommyNE
    October 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    Did they ever believe or did you tell them from the beginning?

Quoting lapcounter:

My kids know the truth about each.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts