ymando
Living With Non-Vaccinated Kids
by ymando
October 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM

My SO's kids are not vaccinated.  My children have been since birth, and will continue to be.  As someone who has been a healthcare professional, I have the opinion that vaccinations have their purpose and that everyone who is able should be vaccinated against these atrocious, ravaging diseases.  I'm wondering, though, if my SO's children were ever afflicted (heaven forbid) with any of these diseases, how would the other children be affected?  How would I protect my children from an illness that could have been prevented in the first place but was not because someone was misinformed and doesn't thinks the rules apply to them?  I'm not trying to be snarky and truly care about the health of all of our children.  I simply don't agree with not vaccinating based soley on personal opinions and the "what-if" possibilities that vaccinations cause other problems.  Any thoughts and informed opinions are welcome.

Replies

• Mrs.Pedro
    October 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    If you vax your kids then why be worried? Wouldn't their vaccinations save them from getting whatever illness? Isn't that the point of vaccines?
  • ymando
    by ymando
    October 9, 2012 at 12:49 AM

True, that is the point of vaccines.  However, some require follow-up boosters and I can never remember which ones they are.  I have one with asthsma and a baby who has not yet received the full course of vaccinations.  I don't usually have that "what-if" mentality myself and I tend not to worry about things I have no control over.  With all of the debate on vaccinations, though, it just got me thinking.

• Sat.Wed
    by Sat.Wed
    October 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM
    As long as your kids get boosters they should be ok, its the other kids Id be worried about "herd" immunity does NOT exsit anymore
  • Sat.Wed
    by Sat.Wed
    October 9, 2012 at 12:55 AM
    The point of vaccines is to help build up immunity they do NOT 100% prevent illness, they are suppsoe to help "lesson" the affect on the person should (god forbid) they get exposed to measles, rubella, etc....... BUT with the number of non vaccinated people on the rise its a wonder a "smart" terrorist hasnt figured out to go by way of diease

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

If you vax your kids then why be worried? Wouldn't their vaccinations save them from getting whatever illness? Isn't that the point of vaccines?

• Apollos82
    October 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    I don't understand the fear. If your kids are healthy and up-to-date on their shots and boosters...why are you worried?

Also, as a former "health care professional" shouldn't you know at least how to find out which shots need boosters? It's not that complicated.
  • crafthag
    October 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM

The rules? There are no rules regarding vaccines, they are the parents choice. Most parents of unvaccinated children do extensive research and do not make the decision lightly. Their mother is probably just as passionate about them being not vaxed as you are about vaxing  your children. 

• Mrs.Miller11
    October 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM

well if vaccines work as well as you think they do, you have nothing to worry about. LOL (as if unvaccinated individuals are disease ridden)

• Mrs.Miller11
    October 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM

actually, I would be "afraid" or "concerned" for the unvaccinated children since many vaccines actually have a shedding period and are more likely to give the illness to other.

• Mrs.Pedro
    October 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM
    When we go to well child visits they tell us at the end whether it not they will be gettin shots at their next appointment and which ones it will be. We also get a vaccination record and I check it after each visit to be sure they stamped it... That way I also know if they are missing any.

Quoting ymando:

True, that is the point of vaccines.  However, some require follow-up boosters and I can never remember which ones they are.  I have one with asthsma and a baby who has not yet received the full course of vaccinations.  I don't usually have that "what-if" mentality myself and I tend not to worry about things I have no control over.  With all of the debate on vaccinations, though, it just got me thinking.

• ymando
    by ymando
    October 9, 2012 at 1:17 AM

After reading these posts I did have some thoughts:  Vaccinating is indeed every parent's choice.  Vaccinating should not be forced on anyone who is not comfortable doing so.  Parents should be informed and educated on all vaccines their children are given.  I do need to brush up on my booster schedules.  Yes, I am passionate about keeping all of our children healthy, vaccinated or not.  Lastly, not vaccinating is not wrong; I just respectfully disagree.  Thanks everyone for your input!