The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
kagegirl
so far beyond frustrated. I am going to scram!!
October 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Ds, 10, is severely driving me nuts. Last year, he was bringing home a's and b's. This year, he bright home 3Ds and an f. Yes,.we moved. I have tried everything, from sitting and helping him with his homework, finding creative ways to help him understand the material, etc.
Now, he is regressing in his spelling. He misspells the vocabulary words when he can look at them right on the board and copy them down! He also misspells words he didn't used to. He is falling math and language arts, despite me going over his homework and making sure it is done correctly. Tonight, I had him doing definitions on his spelling words,.and while his spelling words were spelled correctly,.he misspelled a ton of words from the definitions themselves. With the dictionary right in front of him 7!!!
He is severely testing my patience. I have given him extra bookwork, taken away privilges. At the rate he is going, the only time he will see the sun is to and from school!!! I have had him treated for dyslexia, he is not. I am setting up am appointment with his doctor to test him for any other learning disabilities. I am at the end of my rope!!

Replies

• jjlwallace
    October 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    Could something else be going on...regression often means something else is going on...could you talk to the teacher and maybe see what hey think. Maybe he is socially having trouble and it is showing up in other ways
  • BewitchedKisses
    October 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Is there a school psychologist that he can talk to?

Sometimes kids don't want us to know that something is upsetting them. So he may be willing to talk to someone else.

• kagegirl
    October 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    He had always had social problems. He is my crybaby and acts it in ways expected from a4yo. Not a10 yo. I have had him in therapy for years, nothing has helped.

Quoting jjlwallace:

Could something else be going on...regression often means something else is going on...could you talk to the teacher and maybe see what hey think. Maybe he is socially having trouble and it is showing up in other ways

• kagegirl
    October 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    That's the first call I am making in the morning.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Sometimes kids don't want us to know that something is upsetting them. So he may be willing to talk to someone else.

• BewitchedKisses
    October 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

My son did the same thing when we moved from Michigan to Pennsylvania. He could read Harry Potter in Kindergarden, then first grade... he couldn't read. He went through the reading recovery program. He also refused to do homework and would fight me at every turn.

Apparently, he was a lot more upset about the move than he was letting on and he was trying to be strong for me and be happy because he knew how happy the move made me.

Quoting kagegirl:

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

• kagegirl
    October 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    How did it all turn out?

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

My son did the same thing when we moved from Michigan to Pennsylvania. He could read Harry Potter in Kindergarden, then first grade... he couldn't read. He went through the reading recovery program. He also refused to do homework and would fight me at every turn.

Apparently, he was a lot more upset about the move than he was letting on and he was trying to be strong for me and be happy because he knew how happy the move made me.

Quoting kagegirl:

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

• BewitchedKisses
    October 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Really well. We got him hooked up with the school psychologist, he would talk to her. And she pointed out that he was trying to be strong for me. So I sat down with him and her and let him know that he didn't have to be strong for me, and if he was unhappy he should let me know. It took a while of him seeing her to get things back to normal, but it's worked. Getting him on a really set schedule has helped a lot as well.

Quoting kagegirl:

How did it all turn out?

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Quoting kagegirl:

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts