The CafeMom Newcomers Club

MommyLeary
The Presidential Debate
October 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Just watched the debate... I find that a lot of the problems that America is facing the people can fix on their own. We, as the people, need to start being smarter with our money and live under our means instead of living right at or above our means. Start saving up for our own retirement. Get out of debt and stay out debt. Paying interest is a waste of your money. If you need healthcare and have a pre-existing condition, then go after a job that has offers insurance. They will cover you. I do believe that food stamps should be taken away. There are to many people who abuse the system. If you need help, there is family, friends, churches, care and share, food banks you can turn to for help. There is help out there but I don't think that it's the government's job to feed the poor but the People's job. We need to take care of each other. More than half of the debate would be resolved if we, the people, stepped it up on how we do things financially at home.

Replies

• peanut081981
    October 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Truly. I skimmed the "how romney voters think" line. I love being grouped together like that. Makes me warm and fuzzy. Cause I don't have my own ideas or anything.

Quoting Arwyn724:

And I'd say it was more on the naive side.....

Quoting peanut081981:

Now that's not fair. I'm voting for Romney and I think what she's said is ridiculous.

Quoting Arwyn724:

So you're voting for Romney...

• Arwyn724
    October 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Quoting chaslee:

FYI, if no one was in debt our economy would collapse.  And what about things like student loans, mortgages, etc?  I certainly could not have afforded to go to school without  loans, and I did not have $200,000 saved up to buy a house with cash.  Do you?  As for saving for my retirement... I put money into social security with every single pay check.  And have since I was 15 years old.  Should that now just be gone because it's not "the governments job to support me" when I retire?  I'm not saying I should ONLY rely on social security, but I have contributed to it for 25 years now on a regular basis, I think I am "entitled" to get some of it back.

Exactly, I've been contributing for 40 years.  I'm not at retirement age yet, so I'm not in that 'protected' category, nor am I young enough to start saving all over again.  I'm in that 54-55 year range that was mentioned last night, as in ..."what do we tell them?  Their life long contribution is gone?..."  I have a meager retirement plan, but I was always counting on my Social Security to be there, too.   I'd like to get back what I put in.

• Kaya529
    by Kaya529
    October 4, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    At 24 I did not have the luxury of working my way up, finishing school, starting a career, a family or anything else most people get to do at that age. I was just trying to keep me well with 2 pre existing conditions and keeping my fiance alive who had cancer. All the money I had went to that so I couldn't start saving for anything that I needed at the time much less retirement. I didn't have time to find another job that had benefits since I was lucky enough to have a job that let me have time off whenever I needed. My priorities were different at your age then your priorities.

Please realize that you are lucky that you have what you do and instead of complaining about what others don't have,and appreciate that you don't have to walk in their shoes.

As for helping people, up until I had DS I have helped more people then,I can count. I shared everything I had. If someone needed a place to stay, I have it to them. If they were having a bad day they knew they could come to me. Money, food, a ride, etc... I was even known to bring homeless families to my home and take a homeless man/women out to dinner. Now that I need help I don't know of anyone who is willing to do the same.

Quoting MommyLeary:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Your view is very naive and this is coming from someone Wyo manages money for a living. Do you mind if I ask how old you are and what you do for a living?

lol believe it or not I am 24 and I waitress. My husband and I have a morgage of 1120 a month with just essential bills. He makes $14 an hour and we live comfortably. We have been that way for over 2 years now. 2Years ago we cut up all of our credit cards, payed off bank loans and got out of debt. We have money in savings that we can depend on if something goes wrong. 

• Arwyn724
    October 4, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Ok.  My first comment to the OP that you replied to was a little tongue-in-cheek.  Sorry that does not come across on the internet.  My second comment you replied to was my personal experience with discussions I've actually had with real live Romney voters. Exclude yourself if you wish, I do not know you so I do not know how you think.  Either way, it isn't worth getting defensive over.  It is my absolute hope that the Romney voters are thinking on their own, and not just following the "I hate Obama" parade. 

Quoting peanut081981:

Truly. I skimmed the "how romney voters think" line. I love being grouped together like that. Makes me warm and fuzzy. Cause I don't have my own ideas or anything.

Quoting Arwyn724:

And I'd say it was more on the naive side.....

Quoting peanut081981:

Now that's not fair. I'm voting for Romney and I think what she's said is ridiculous.

Quoting Arwyn724:

So you're voting for Romney...

• boldrumble
    October 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Hahahahahaha....you will never see that money....or well...you may, but people my age (31) wont see it. SS wont exist anymore when i should be able to collect, because even our govt. is living beyond its means...

Quoting chaslee:

FYI, if no one was in debt our economy would collapse.  And what about things like student loans, mortgages, etc?  I certainly could not have afforded to go to school without  loans, and I did not have $200,000 saved up to buy a house with cash.  Do you?  As for saving for my retirement... I put money into social security with every single pay check.  And have since I was 15 years old.  Should that now just be gone because it's not "the governments job to support me" when I retire?  I'm not saying I should ONLY rely on social security, but I have contributed to it for 25 years now on a regular basis, I think I am "entitled" to get some of it back.

• Arwyn724
    October 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Yeah, well people my age (55) won't see it either, and it hurts a lot more when you've contributed for over 40 years.

Quoting boldrumble:

Hahahahahaha....you will never see that money....or well...you may, but people my age (31) wont see it. SS wont exist anymore when i should be able to collect, because even our govt. is living beyond its means...

Quoting chaslee:

• boldrumble
    October 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    Well, that just isnt true. Many people give...even now, after paying taxes. They choose to help others because while you DO need to care for yourself first, most people care about others. IMO, allowing people to choose who to support...and having excess money to do it, would be a benefit. Although i dont believe you could just up and stop P.A.

Quoting A.B.C.brown07:

Girl you are living in a dream! No one will willingly give money to ppl. This is why we tax. Taxes are required and involuntarily taken from checks to assure the poor are cared for. Everyones priority is their own family first. If we left it to ppl to voluntarily give then ppl would starve!!! I think your views are just slightly far fetched. Obama and Romney both agree that the PA is a good system in place to help those, they disagree on the details of the requirements and the percentage of ppl it helps

Quoting MommyLeary:

I know that not everyone has family or friends to turn to when they need help. What i'm saying is help those around you even if you don't know them. Give a little if you can give a little to those who need help. It seems like the only time people are willing to help others is the Christmas season. What about the rest of the year? 

Quoting A.B.C.brown07:

Solo you don't think the government should help, but family friends churches, and food banks should? Lol you must live in a perfect world where you believe everyone has family and friends, everyone has a church, and food banks get their money off trees!

• Paperfishies
    October 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I think food stamps should be there for people who truly need them, however I think there should be a 2 year time limit on ALL welfare handouts, unless you are physically/mentally unable to work.  Once your 2 years is up, that's it, no more, bye bye.  I also believe that if you commit a crime while you're recieving welfare of any kind, then your welfare automatically gets pulled, no more for you, ever.

• chaslee
    by chaslee
    October 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I'm only 10 years older then you, no, I will NEVER see that money if the government spends it and it pisses me off.

Quoting boldrumble:

Quoting chaslee:

• ColieO
    by ColieO
    October 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    It's not that simple. You can't just happen upon a decent job with benefits anymore. If it does have benefits,a lot of companies charge an arm and a leg. People should budget more and save, but the truth is that there are a lot of factors outside our control.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN