The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
kasm75
Can a child know they are gay at...
by kasm75
October 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM

age 11? A friend of mine came to me and told me her 11 year old DD ( just turned 11) dropped a bomb on her and said she was gay.... can she know at that age,?She hasn't done anything sexually......My friend doesn't know what to say to her DD to reassure that she loves her, doesn't know what questions to ask.....I mean she has reassured her she loves her  but she is just a little shocked and wondering if her DD might just be confused. She asked her DD what she thought it meant and her DD told her exactly what it meant..... but can the child just be confused?

Replies

• whowhat
    by whowhat
    October 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    I went to middle school with a guy who was gay. He was very effeminate too so no confusion I think. And he's still gay.
  • Jenniy
    by Jenniy
    October 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    Friends have told me they knew as young as 6.
  • mom_dl6
    by mom_dl6
    October 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I would think YES but that's just me 

• kasm75
    by kasm75
    October 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM

her daughter is in 5th grade, that just seems so young?

Quoting whowhat:

I went to middle school with a guy who was gay. He was very effeminate too so no confusion I think. And he's still gay.

• Mommy2b2324
    October 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    Yes and even younger as well. she knows her mind and her likes and dislikes at 11 and it doesn't exclude sexual attraction
  • AlekD
    by AlekD
    October 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    I think so. I was interested in boys by that age so I would guess its early enough to notice if one is romantically interested in the same sex.
  • whowhat
    by whowhat
    I had crushes on boys in elementary school. She's not too young to know she's attracted to a person.

Quoting kasm75:

her daughter is in 5th grade, that just seems so young?

Quoting whowhat:

• militarywife09
    Yes. Can you know at 11 you're straight? You know what you're attracted too and what you aren't attracted too.
  • kasm75
    by kasm75
    October 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Wow, that's so young 6? so what does she say to her DD other than she loves her? She doesn't want anyone knowing.

She has a lot of siblings and 2 step parents and she only told my friend and didn't even want friend going to her DH but her DD said she would tell him herself....

• peanutsmommy1
    October 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    Yep
    We would never question a girl who says she wants to marry a boy at 11, why do we assume a girl cant know she wants to marry a girl at the same age?

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts