The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Lillymygirl
THIS is NOT an answer for abortion.
March 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM

What a mess. This is scary . I HATE abortion But I LOVE women and they should all have ACCESS to birth control. How did things go so wrong?

The article is extremely long so I am including the link and some pieces of the article. i just think that being pro-life shouldn't mean people cut all funding and availability of BIRT CONTROL , it's wrong and could cause more expensive problems later. Yes I want women to not abort their children but isn't it best, all the way around, if they can get birth control and not get pregnant when they aren't willing to or able to support children? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-states-slash-birth-control-idUSTRE8240ZM20120305

Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:41am EST

(Reuters) - Even as a national debate rages over contraception insurance, tens of thousands of low-income women and teenagers across the United States have lost access to subsidized birth control as states slash and restructure family planning funds.

the Texas funding cut prompted Planned Parenthood to shut down 11 clinics. It also has jeopardized a $40 million family-planning program run as a Medicaid extension.

The program provides free birth control and annual exams to 130,000 low-income women of reproductive age who don't qualify for regular Medicaid. The federal government pays 90 percent of the cost; Texas puts up just $4 million a year.

About 40 percent of women in the Texas program get subsidized care from Planned Parenthood clinics, but a new state law blocks those clinics from participating. The Obama administration has said that violates federal Medicaid rules. If neither side compromises, the program will likely close by the end of March.

That infuriates Jonee Longoria, a single mother in Houston who relied on the program for free services for several years as she put herself through college. "I had one child living in poverty and I didn't want another," Longoria said.

She now works for a social service agency and refers many clients to the program for contraception. Without it, she said, "where would they go?"

Advocates of defunding Planned Parenthood say they regret any service disruptions for poor women. But they call it a necessary price to pay to take a moral stance on abortion.

"We're just doing what we think is best," said Joe Pojman, executive director of Texas Alliance for Life, 

Replies

• notjstanothrmom
    March 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if you make too much to qualify for assistance then you can afford birth control if you adjust your lifestyle to your income. Rent a cheaper apartment, get rid of cable, Internet, cell phones. It's all about prioritizing your funds and not making excuses like "I'll be bored without TV." Cut cable only and watch Hulu online for free. Cut both and go to the library.

Quoting seraphimsong:

Not true.

There is no way I can afford BC and we do not qualify for assistance.

We can't afford the insurance that is offered at the job my dh has right now & my job does not offer it.

Luckily I had my mirena put in before we lost our insurance, but if I didn't I would most defininitely get my BC from the clinic here locally ( not planned parenthood, but similar )

I think BC is one of the better things our tax dollars are going to. There are other areas that can be cut.

Like people that get $700 dollars a month in FS for a family of 5.
    Quoting notjstanothrmom:

People who can't afford birth control are already on assistance. If you can afford life without assistance then you can afford birth control.

I don't want funding to be cut. I think it'd be stupid for the reasons you stated, but I also don't feel the government MUST provide it. I'd rather state health cover pap smears and STD testing then birth control that is very affordable without insurance. Birth control isn't the only way to prevent either. NFP is free and so is the information on how to practice at the library and condoms are inexpensive.

Quoting seraphimsong:

The problem is, is that of funding is cut that those who can't afford birth control & are getting it at $10 a pack will no longer get it at that price. They will have to pay much, much more to buy BC.

If they could barely afford it at $10 a pack, how an we expect them to affor it at $50 a pack? What do you think will happen?

They will stop buying it because it will be a choice between dinner on te table or BC.

They will most likely end up pregnant & either want an abortion or have another child, which they any afford, that will end up on welfare. Where we will all continue to pay anyway.

So how does cutting funding for BC for low income women get us ahead in any way??

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

No I said that poor people should learn the free way to prevent pregnancy that is 99% effective or refrain until they can afford to pay for birth control. If the government cuts funding the majority of poor people can spare the money, esp. if they budget wisely and cut out things that arent needed like cable, Internet, cell phones.

Quoting raainwitch:

Did you just say that poor people shouldn't have sex simply because they're poor?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Then they should go to the library and learn about NFP or refrain until they can afford it. I know what it's like to have no money but if you can get yourself to Planned Parenthood, then you can scrape up $10 and pay for a pack of pills that could prevent you from getting pregnant. If not, they offer free condoms which will also protect you from STD's.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I am pro-life and will not use birth control for contraceptive because personally it is basically like an abortion *to me* if my baby cannot implant. I do believe everyone should have access to birth control and everyone will, but I don't feel it's the governments place to provide these services because birth control is very affordable anyways.

Quoting randi1978:

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

If people can not afford it then they can not afford it.

The state network, which once provided 220,000 women a year free and low-cost birth control, cervical cancer tests and diabetes screenings, will now serve just 40,000 to 60,000, officials said.

• bcbynum
    by bcbynum
    March 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    I don't understand why everyone seems to focus on just the ladies that are single in this scenario. I have known many married women that rely on PP and other discounted/free sources to receive birth control because they and their spouses are not in a financial situation to provide for more children. These couples in monogamous relationships are making the best choice for their family and also the economy. I'm sure it's not a majority, but you can't concientiously tell these couples to "just keep their legs closed".
  • seraphimsong
    March 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    And who are you to say that we have Internet/cable? We do live in the cheapest place possible. There is an oil boom where we live. Cost of living had skyrocketed.

You have no clue.

Do you know how little you have to make to get assistance?

If your married, you almost automatically don't qualify.

If I didn't have the mirena, we could afford condoms or try NFP. I wouldn't be against that. But BC is used in women for other things besides BC.

Also they do well women exams there. Those can be very costly to have to go to the hospital to do without insurance.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if you make too much to qualify for assistance then you can afford birth control if you adjust your lifestyle to your income. Rent a cheaper apartment, get rid of cable, Internet, cell phones. It's all about prioritizing your funds and not making excuses like "I'll be bored without TV." Cut cable only and watch Hulu online for free. Cut both and go to the library.

Quoting seraphimsong:

Not true.

We can't afford the insurance that is offered at the job my dh has right now & my job does not offer it.

Luckily I had my mirena put in before we lost our insurance, but if I didn't I would most defininitely get my BC from the clinic here locally ( not planned parenthood, but similar )

I think BC is one of the better things our tax dollars are going to. There are other areas that can be cut.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

People who can't afford birth control are already on assistance. If you can afford life without assistance then you can afford birth control.

I don't want funding to be cut. I think it'd be stupid for the reasons you stated, but I also don't feel the government MUST provide it. I'd rather state health cover pap smears and STD testing then birth control that is very affordable without insurance. Birth control isn't the only way to prevent either. NFP is free and so is the information on how to practice at the library and condoms are inexpensive.

Quoting seraphimsong:

The problem is, is that of funding is cut that those who can't afford birth control & are getting it at $10 a pack will no longer get it at that price. They will have to pay much, much more to buy BC.

If they could barely afford it at $10 a pack, how an we expect them to affor it at $50 a pack? What do you think will happen?

They will stop buying it because it will be a choice between dinner on te table or BC.

They will most likely end up pregnant & either want an abortion or have another child, which they any afford, that will end up on welfare. Where we will all continue to pay anyway.

So how does cutting funding for BC for low income women get us ahead in any way??

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

No I said that poor people should learn the free way to prevent pregnancy that is 99% effective or refrain until they can afford to pay for birth control. If the government cuts funding the majority of poor people can spare the money, esp. if they budget wisely and cut out things that arent needed like cable, Internet, cell phones.

Quoting raainwitch:

Did you just say that poor people shouldn't have sex simply because they're poor?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Then they should go to the library and learn about NFP or refrain until they can afford it. I know what it's like to have no money but if you can get yourself to Planned Parenthood, then you can scrape up $10 and pay for a pack of pills that could prevent you from getting pregnant. If not, they offer free condoms which will also protect you from STD's.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I am pro-life and will not use birth control for contraceptive because personally it is basically like an abortion *to me* if my baby cannot implant. I do believe everyone should have access to birth control and everyone will, but I don't feel it's the governments place to provide these services because birth control is very affordable anyways.

Quoting randi1978:

How are they "doing what's right" by making it harder for women to access contraceptives?

Oh, wait.....even birth control is abortion to some of them backwoods yahoo's.....Single women are supposed to be nuns until Prince fucking Charming comes along with a marriage proposal.

The state network, which once provided 220,000 women a year free and low-cost birth control, cervical cancer tests and diabetes screenings, will now serve just 40,000 to 60,000, officials said.

• mygiftedones

It seems like the biggest problem here is that they won't separate birth control and abortion, which IMO are two  COMPLETELY different things.  But it appears some organizations want to keep it together so they say  LOOK  their taking your birth control away. (code word taking your abortion away)   if you haven't guessed I'm pro life , but believe the only way to cut down on abortions is by educating our young women , not by outlawing abortion

• nautired
    If planned parenthood closes for lack of funding the BC price wouldn't be on a sliding scale. I called Walgreens the price for my patches would be 100. I don't know many people who have that laying around. I think when you're removed from a situation it's hard to understand so if you haven't been poor 30 60 or 100 may not seem like much.
  • NoraDun
    by NoraDun
    March 5, 2012 at 10:23 PM

My personal belief is that BC logically can kill a fertilized egg which to me means birthcontrol can kill my baby. Each birthcontrol specifically says that is how it works, even the mini pill. So this is why I refuse BC! 

• notjstanothrmom
    March 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    I live in CT and I can almost guarantee that we make less then your family. We are VERY frugal. I know I am posting mobile but I am using WIFI on an IPod. I know what it's like to be poor, but I am also smart with how I spend my money and what is needed and what is wanted.

Quoting seraphimsong:

And who are you to say that we have Internet/cable? We do live in the cheapest place possible. There is an oil boom where we live. Cost of living had skyrocketed.

You have no clue.

If I didn't have the mirena, we could afford condoms or try NFP. I wouldn't be against that. But BC is used in women for other things besides BC.

Also they do well women exams there. Those can be very costly to have to go to the hospital to do without insurance.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting seraphimsong:

Not true.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting seraphimsong:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting raainwitch:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting randi1978:

• charleyd68
    March 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    I am lost! How does denying birth control a stance AGAINST Abortion. If women take birth control to avoid pregnancy,doesn 't THAT lessing abortion ,and women having to make that choice? And isn 't the "right 's " arguement that the "poor " keep having kids and needing assistance? I agree, this out of hand,there are too many conflicting stances. I don 't believe in Abortion,i don 't believe in taking a women 's options away. Birth cotrol helps stop a lot abortions. If your take the pill for pregnancy prevention you don 't want abortions or babies! You can 't assume a woman on the pill would have a abortion if the pill fails! And you can 't punish someone before it ever happens! Pro -life or choice,this is wrong!
  • seraphimsong
    March 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    I understand that.

But sometimes people get put into a bind. Sometimes you need a little adjustment period.

Things aren't always black & white, ya know?

I wasn't trying to argue finances, I just think its stupid to cut funding for BC and say that there needed to be less abortions. The 2 don't really go together.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I live in CT and I can almost guarantee that we make less then your family. We are VERY frugal. I know I am posting mobile but I am using WIFI on an IPod. I know what it's like to be poor, but I am also smart with how I spend my money and what is needed and what is wanted.

Quoting seraphimsong:

You have no clue.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting seraphimsong:

Not true.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting seraphimsong:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting raainwitch:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting randi1978:

• Kcamaioni
    March 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    Yeah, this has nothing to do with planned parenthood. We pay for insurance so technically we pay for what's being covered. And I don't know where you live but my insurance pays 20% I pay the rest. I don't think they should get rid of free birth control though it's really a good program. My insurance had $10 prescription so it's no big deal, but the way Americas health care is is ridiculous a lot of Americans don't have insurance and they should have birth control available for those women. I'm pro life and pro birth control I'm about to have my third kid and if I don't want 10 more I'm gonna take birth control. So sorry crazies!

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts