The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
coxbolt
He keeps talking!!! Please HELP!
by coxbolt
October 16, 2007 at 11:17 PM
Okay, so I was reading a post about how her son sat in his room for 2 hours because he was being a "terror".  So, that got me thinking about my son.  He is 4 years old.  He talks constantly.  Okay say after one warning, I tell him to go sit down in time-out.  Well, I tell him he has 4 minutes to sit and there is no talking.  Well, then he is like "But, I don't.."  I say no talking..Start the time over again.  I know you are supposed to not talk to them while they are in time-out.  But how in the world can I get him to understand that you don't talk in time-out.  I just feel like screaming...Shut up!  He keeps talking, calling me stupid,  or pointing his finger, and then he gets clever and decides for a minute that he is going to quit talking and makes mean faces or something.  After about a minute, he asks "Can I get out of time-out?"  It's like, I told you 4 minutes and no talking.  It is back and forth...lala..I feel like I'm rambling...It is driving me crazy.  Please Help!

Replies

• Lacy_2
    by Lacy_2
    October 16, 2007 at 11:19 PM
    Your son sounds just like my son.. When you get this figured out could you let me know.. PLEASE!!!!!
  • thatgirl22143
    October 16, 2007 at 11:21 PM
    My son is only silent when he is sleeping. He even hums when he is eating. Car rides are the WORST!
  • Benjaminsmamma
    October 16, 2007 at 11:26 PM
    I know how you feel. I finally had to set the timer, and I tell him that when the timer goes off he can get out. After I set the timer I completly ignore him. He yells at me, does all kinds of stuff, because he's trying to get my attention. THe more I ignore him the more he tries. If he tries to get out before the timer goes off, I put him back and reset the timer. Yes its frustrating, and yes it can take a while but he does finally get it.

Angie

• srfrbaybe
    October 16, 2007 at 11:26 PM
    My dd and my niece are the exact same way.  The chatter never stops!  My dd screams and cries the entire time she's in time out and the minute the timer goes off someone turns  off her crier and she acts like nothing happened.  Drives me nuts!
  • Mythreesonsmom
    October 16, 2007 at 11:27 PM
    Set the timer where he can see it. Tell him when it dings time is up and you may get up. Also explain that time out is quiet time and no talking or moving around sit still. Don't look at him or give him the chance to make faces at you . If he does just act like you don't see . As long as he doesn't get up. But don't allow him to call you names. Reset the timer or if you have to it may take a spat on the bottom to get your point across . My ped told me some children don't take to time out my middle son didn't . My oldest it would break his heart . But my youngest I once sat and held him him my lap for 3 min. To get the point across. My youngest son thinks time out is a time to use your imagination . He gets up and says that was a good movie I watched. As long as he sits for the 4 min. I'm not complaining. But sometimes it still takes either removing an important toy or taking away a privilege, even a spat on the bottom to get the point across that his behavior is unacceptable.

• Phoenix1967
    October 17, 2007 at 6:45 AM

LMAO sorry dont mean to laugh, but welcome to my world also My 5 year daughter gets in her talkative moods, I call it cabin fever or boredom. So Ill either take her out for a walk or something, or read her book or play a game with her, and then she's fine. But thats my way of dealing with it.

Never a boring moment

• kensjo
    by kensjo
    October 17, 2007 at 6:57 AM
    I have always started the timer over when they would stand up out of defiance or yell and carry on.  Actually my rule usually is, you cant get up until I am not mad anymore.. my kids KNOW not to make me really mad, they will be sitting there a while! the more they yell the longer they sit cause the madder I get. LOL

Glad my guys are older now... I  dont know how I lived thru that stage..

Hugs
    Jo
  • applesnivy80
    October 17, 2007 at 5:53 PM
    My 7 yr old used to do that to me all the time. I never said a word to her. I would just restart the time again. After awhile of ingoring her, she stopped talking, making faces and all the other stuff.
    My 2 yr old sits in a time out, but not very often though. She'll sit in the chair for 2 minutes and not say a word or try to move. What a good girl she is....for the time being.

Good luck!

Tiffany
    Married to Daryl since 02/05/00
    SAHM to: Jessica Lynn - 09/02/00, lost Sierra Angel MacKenzie on 05/30/03, Ashley Shy'Anne - 09/26/05 & Baby Boy Shawn Thomas is due on 01/12/08

• coconuts26
    October 17, 2007 at 5:55 PM
    personally im not a time out fan, but i thought they were just supposed to sit and think about why they were sitting there in first place? wow i guess im clueless, ive never known a child to sit anywhere w/o talking  lol

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts