The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Samarra
When to switch to baby food?
by Samarra
October 14, 2007 at 11:34 PM
My daughter is 3 months old and she has been doing both bottle and breast. I give her a tiny bit of rice cereal sometimes in her bottle to fill her a little more and also it helps with constant spit ups. ANyway.. I was just wondering when exactly are u supossed to start giving ur child baby food? is there a certain age? or does it depend on their eating habits? Ladies let me know what u think i should do!! thanks a lot

Replies

• mysweetJBs
    October 14, 2007 at 11:56 PM
    6 months old start rice/oatmeal cereals morning & night.  Then around 7 to 8 months start introducing the other baby foods, one at a time (4 days or so with one then try a new - this is to make sure no allergies).  Also - when you start - do veggies first.  If you do the yummy fruits first they won't want anything else!  It's okay to add a little to the bottles to ease spit-up or acid reflux syndrome - I did that with my second born.  But really, at 3 months she shouldn't need baby food yet.  Hope this helps!
  • CafeMom Team
    October 15, 2007 at 7:58 AM

Welcome to CafeMom!  Please say hello to the other Moms introducing themselves. To send someone a friend invitation, click on the "Invite as a friend" link under their picture on their page.

Here are some links to the helpful posts on the 1st page of The Newcomers Club...

CafeMom FAQs - Questions and Answers

Recommended Groups

You may also want to look through the 'Active Groups' and the 'Featured Groups' on the main Groups page. Click on 'Find Groups' to search by keyword category, or scroll down to search by location.

You also can go to this Group's chatterbox and join in the conversation with any other moms that are there!

\The CafeMom Team
  • SaniyasMom
    October 15, 2007 at 8:05 AM
    My daughter's pediatrician said she could start rice cereal and baby foods at 4 months. Of course, this was after her 3 month check up and shots....and she said to only do one  thing at a time for at least 3 days to make sure there were no allergic reactions. If everything goes well, you can introduce another food....and so on.

• cutemommyof4
    October 15, 2007 at 8:08 AM

well,i started all my babies at 3 months and i did that because they werent filling up on just formula,there isnt any certain time to really start them every doctor will tell you somthing different thats why i started mine when i felt it was necissary i am their mom i know whats best and its when the mom thinks its the right time!! but thats just me!lol!

• sweetbabygirl11
    October 15, 2007 at 8:09 AM

MY DR. SAID 4-6 MONTHS START CEREAL THEN BABY FOOD ALSO. START WITH CEREAL THEN VEGGIES AND THEN FRUITS. ONLY ONE NEW FOOD AT A TIME LOOK FOR REACTIONS.

• WishinOnRainbow
    October 15, 2007 at 8:11 AM
    I started both of my kids, now 17 and 13 on cereal at 2-3 weeks and veggies at about 3 months.  Just give one food at a time for about 3 days to make sure of no reaction! 
  • BlueFrogMama
    October 15, 2007 at 8:14 AM
    If there are any problems with food allergies or intolerances in your family or the dad's family, you may want to wait until at least 6 months of age. Their digestive system is still pretty immature until about 6 or 7 months old, and they can handle "real" foods much better at that point.
  • alalsip
    by alalsip
    October 15, 2007 at 8:21 AM
    I would recommend waiting until 6 months for baby food.  We tried Haylie on cereal on Friday.  Not a good Idea for Haylie...  We spent Saturday night with a very crabby baby for 4-6 hours, tummy problems.  We will try again in about a month.  I just wouldn't rush it.  Good luck~Amanda

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

jesusCo-Sleepingbreastfeeding

• wannasell4you
    October 15, 2007 at 8:31 AM
    You can start between 4-6 months old ( rice cereal). You'll know when the baby is ready, when she doesn't push it all out of her mouth with her tongue.
    Start with the single grain Cereals. This helps with knowing if the baby is allergic or not. Once they have had all the single grain cereals w/ no reactions, then you can move the baby to a multi grain.

When starting on jar foods, they say to start with the green veges first then move onto the orange ones ( because the orange ones tend to be sweet, the baby might not be as willing to eat the green ones). Once again, feed your baby one vege for the entire week, to make sure there are no allergic reactions.

By the time you get through the veges, you can start the whole process over with the fruits. ;0)
    But, no strawberries or blueberries right yet. ( not til I think around 12 months?) Infants can have bad allergic reactions to them.

Byaround 8-12 months you can start meats. Same thing one at a time for 1 full week to be safe.

Once you have established the foods your baby likes, you can start mixing them up a bit.

That's great that you have chose to nurse. It has some amazing benifits!

GOD LUCK!!
  • dawnjohnson5
    October 15, 2007 at 8:35 AM

My DD is 3 1/2 months old and her pedi said I could start her on 1st foods veggies at 4 months.  Then gradually add some fruit.  She said that she could start 2nd foods at 6 months.  With all of my children I have just used my judgement on when to start with solids.  All babies develope differently and I think that they should be treated accordingly. 

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts