alexhuntercody
college moms help me decide. i dont know what to do!
April 7, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I am taking 2 classes in the summer. They cost 642. That doesn't include books. I checked my online account and  I was awarded 1337 in federal pell grant money and was given a 500.00 student loan for summer 2010 only. that does not include fall; they haven't done falls online thing yet.

Would it be plan stupid to deny the student loan? because 1. the pell covers the tuition and then some and 2. if i do go over i have 500 in the bank i could use. (i can't see it happeneing though with how much i was given in pell)

I dont' want to take out that loan and NOT need it. Seems like a waste to me. ya know?

btw i am starting in summer. I haven't used pell for the 2009-2010 school year that is why i got pell in summer.

Replies

• oboe_chik
    April 7, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Quoting alexhuntercody:

Quoting oboe_chik:

Quoting alexhuntercody:

Quoting oboe_chik:

You got a pell grant for over 2 times as much as what your tuition will cost. Why would you need to take out the loan? Just to have spending money?

i didnt take it out. the school automatically gave it to me. I dont' want it. But the college was trying to talk me out of denying it. I denied it now though. So i don't have it anymore on my records. :)

Ok I thought you had already gotten the money from the sound of your post. Yeah I got a few loans for college that were above the cost of tuition and I bought books with them and gave the rest back. I am still about 47K in debt from school.

no everything is managed online. So i had to log into their system to accept the awards offered to me. I accepted the pell grant but was unsure about the loan so that is why i called them; they tried to talk me out of it and then i posted here. But before i got any responses i went ahead and denied it. I have 500 in the bank i could use if i have to. SO it makes no sense to take it out.

Yeah that makes sense. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders mama. Good luck in school!