CTRedSoxMom
I thought this was a joke....
April 6, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Replies

• madies_momma07
    April 6, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Well at least it has the three main ingredients they commercial says to look for  lol

• Mazie0723
    April 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM

If you give your child an 8oz serving of whole milk and say a Jar of stage 3 Gerber Oatmeal with Apples and Cinnamon they are getting 22 grams of sugar in one meal. If I can find this I might get it for my little guy.

Quoting CTRedSoxMom:

Its an accessive amount of sugar for one serving for a child. That is my point.

Quoting Shauna71904:

ugh ok and whole milk has 12.83 what's your point dear?

Quoting CTRedSoxMom:

I formula feed my youngest child, but I still find this wrong on so many levels, one thing being ONE serving of it has 19 grams of sugar.  Its like setting children up for issues with weight, obesity, and diabetes.

Quoting Shauna71904:

if it's ok to EBF what's wrong with this?

• Tea4Tas
    by Tea4Tas
    April 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Quoting DaisyAg2003:

Then you should have eaten more chocolate!  :)

Quoting MommyCakesinTX:

How dies this compare to breastmilk?  Mine wasn't chocolate.

Quoting Shauna71904:

if it's ok to EBF what's wrong with this?

Breast milk gets 40% of it's calories from lactose (milk sugar)

It's pretty high in lactose-which is a GOOD thing, actually.

Smarter sugars. Lactose is the main sugar in breastmilk. The body breaks it down into two simpler sugars - glucose and galactose. Galactose is a valuable nutrient for brain tissue development. Anthropologists have demonstrated that the more intelligent species of mammals have greater amounts of lactose in their milk, and human milk contains one of the highest concentrations of lactose of any mammal milk. Cow milk and some cow milk formulas contain lactose, but not as much as human milk. Soy-based and other lactose-free formulas contain no lactose at all, only table sugar and corn syrup.

• jmjbaby21
    April 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM

my son drinks the toddler formula since he's a picky eater. I don't understand why you would think it's a "joke"

• rocknrollgirl70
    April 7, 2010 at 10:29 AM

wtf

• momto2boys973
    April 7, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I also have to agree that I don't see what the big deal is. It's not meant for babies, it's meant for toddlers and IMHO, not much different than Pediasure (as some already mentioned) or even chocolate milk.

Now, I would love to see where someone got the 19 grs. of sugar number, because searching for the nutritional information, I only found this:

Per 100 g (Chocolate) Protein 17.3 mg, carbohydrate 65 g, fat 11 g, linoleic acid 450 mg, linolenic acid 115 mg, arachidonic acid (ARA) 15.8 mg, DHA 7.8 mg, minerals (ash) 4.3 g, water 2.5 g, vit A 1,580 iu, vit D 150 iu, vit E 9.5 iu, vit K1 65 mcg, thiamine 390 mcg, riboflavin 750 mcg, vit B6 300 mcg, vit B12 2.6 mcg, niacin 5,300 mcg, folic acid 80 mcg, pantothenic acid 3,200 mcg, biotin 16 mcg, choline 100 mg, vit C 60 mg, taurine 26 mg, Ca 750 mg, phosphorus 450 mg, Mg 55 mg, Na 188 mg, K 850 mg, Cl 370 mg, iodine 45 mcg, Fe 7.8 mg, Zn 5 mg, copper 380 mcg. Energy: 425 kCal.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do get some of the OP's points. We don't really teach children to eat and enjoy food when we contiually "disguise" it with chocolate and other flavors. My nephew, who is simply a little underweight, is on Pediasure.... by a doctor's recommendation. Personally, I would never do that unless there was an actual medical need. I do try to give my children as much natural and homemade food as possible, but hey, I'm a chef, it's my job :) And I'm really enjoying Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. I wanted to knock my head in the wall myself after learning the State's "guidelines"- laughable. But we do have to keep some perspective. There's nothing wrong with the occasional junk food. And if children will get the proper nutrition without the chocolate flavor, then by all means, give it to them. Just be sure that it's not only junk food or only flavored semi-food.

Sharon