Fruit & Vegetable Gardening

michiganmom116
Gardening rookies?
April 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Is this your first or second (even third) year of gardening?  Are you growing something you've never grown before?  Feel a bit too shy to ask what you think might be silly questions? 

Tell us why you decided to garden!  Go ahead and ask those silly questions!  We're glad to have you in our group and we're happy to answer any questions!

Replies

• AWALLD
    by AWALLD
    April 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM

This is my first year gardening, I decided to garden for more than a few reasons that I can't even put an order of importance on because I think it's all important.  To know where my food comes from, to teach my toddlers where food comes from and to watch things grow and to enjoy the fruits (or veggies) of their labor , and to save $.    I've been reading up in here, getting the tips/solutions.  You have such a great group!

• ashncarson
    April 12, 2010 at 6:44 PM

this is my third year! I have the same reasons....mostly cause I love cucumbers and that was why I started...I am learning about seed planting now

• zoeysmom331
    April 12, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Well, this is my third year, but the first two I didn't do much. My first year, I only had a little garden space, about 2ft by 8 feet so I only got some cucumbers and carrots out of it. Last year, the garden in our new house was so overgrown I was only able to clear out enough space to plant a tomato and a green pepper plant (I also attempted pumpkins and watermelon, but that didn't work.

This year I'm going all out. We're tearing up that old overgrown garden and starting from scratch. I'm expecting my second baby, and I want to make homemade baby food for this little one. I want my family to start eating healthier, fresh fruits and veggies right from the garden. I'm also learning how to do home canning, so I want to make fresh things that I could go buy at the store.

• Cocamommy
    April 13, 2010 at 1:58 AM

This is my second year.. last year.. was really bad.. this year.. i am overlooking it more.. and taking more things in consideration.. I've grown all this last year.. but now i'm slowly trying to figure why everything died... 

• medicmom67
    April 13, 2010 at 7:46 AM

This is my 2nd yr... Why?  The financial aspect... I think it's healthier... I think my 3 yr old will enjoy it (more this yr than last)... I want to try to learn how to can/make sauce/etc with some so we have more thru the yr...

• sistyugler
    April 13, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I've been doing this [container gardening] for too many moons to remember.

I love fresh veggies and sharing my abundance with others. Friends ask me each year what are you growing this year. And even make suggestions about what would be good.

This year I have tomatoes big and small [grape], sweet peppers and two types of hot peppers,cabbage,collard greens and sunflowers,just for fun!

• Whatkids
    April 18, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I always say it is my first year, because it always feels like it. I love to garden, but don't get to do it much in the great shower house of the northwest. :(
    I started to garden because of the need for nutritious food, cheap!

I am always up to learn new things. :)

• shawnasie
    April 19, 2010 at 12:27 PM

This is my 2nd year but the 1st at my new house in a new state (we are moving this coming weekend). I know I am getting a late start on the things I want to grow but I am hoping I can get something done. I am happy that I have the ability to grow in spring summer and fall in TX, where we are moving to. I am disappointed that there is a lot of shade where we are moving to but I  know this will make me more creative in my approach to the garden.

I have a compost pile that I started last summer and I am bagging up the compost and taking it with me so I can create better soil at the new house. A huge positive of the new house is the fact that there is a fenced off composting area already set up so I can just add to it when we get there. The kids are extremely happy about that too. :) We are going to plant some seeds either today or tomorrow to get some plants started ahead of time. Probably some lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes and peas.

Last year we planted squash, bush beans, corn, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, sugar snap peas & pumpkins. The lettuce & squash grew abundantly. The carrots, bush beans and corn tried but did not flourish. The peas didn't do much at all due to too much direct sun. The broccoli was attacked by green caterpillars because the white butterflies wouldn't stop laying their eggs on the leaves. The pumpkins, which would have been very productive, were killed off by powdery mildew that eventually attacked the squash too. Overall, I believe it was a good crop for a 1st try. 

Have a GREAT week!!

• browneyedmommy
    April 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I am just now starting out, I prefer to do container gardening because our soil is not really good.  I bought my first tomato plant, which was a big one, already blooming!  Can anybody give me any tips to growing tomatoes in a container so it will produce healthy tomatoes.  We live in SE Tx, so it is hot here!

I really don't want to use any pesticides on it, only organic stuff.  Thanks

• SewAwesome
    April 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM

This is my first time to really take gardening seriously..so its like my first. I am trying to be more heath conscious. Also I find I'm happiest when I have something to work on. My young one and I are so excited things are starting to grow..her excitment is keeping me on top of things

Fruit & Vegetable Gardening

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts