Fruit & Vegetable Gardening

michiganmom116
Gardening rookies?
April 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Is this your first or second (even third) year of gardening?  Are you growing something you've never grown before?  Feel a bit too shy to ask what you think might be silly questions? 

Tell us why you decided to garden!  Go ahead and ask those silly questions!  We're glad to have you in our group and we're happy to answer any questions!

Replies

• NWP
    by NWP
    November 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM

We moved to coastal Georgia recently and I am having probably the same problem with my soil as you. There is too much darned sand in it! I have found that I have to container garden and use raised beds here.

You can make some raised beds with super cheap untreated pine boards and wooden stakes. I have also found that our local grocery recieves their produce in wooden crates that they discard once a week by the dumpster. Those have been great for raised beds.

In Florida, you can probably start making your beds very soon. I just put in a winter/fall garden a few weeks ago because it stays warm here most of the year.

Another think I do is recycle produce from the grocery store. Any unused sprouted potatoes to into the garden. Another thing to put in there is the bottom parts of lettuce and celery, as they will actually sprout and grow more. I plant green onions from the store and cut the tops off with scissors when I need green onions. They keep producing all year.

You can even grow a pinapple from the top part you cut off.

Quoting smileber:

Next year will actually be my first year of gardening. My husband and I just got out of an apartment and renting a house with a huge yard that wasn't cared for for at least 2 years before us moving in. We will be taking the Winter to clear out and prep out yard for next Spring. We plan to garden to save us a lot of costs instead of buying from stores, and even using the gas to make the run. It could even help us make a profit. I am not too familiar with gardening, especially since I am in a completely different state and zone. I moved from a 6a in Illinois to a 9a in Florida! Since our ground isn't too complying, I plan to do most of my gardening in pots. I will also be gardening organically.

• smileber
    November 28, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Quoting NWP:

We moved to coastal Georgia recently and I am having probably the same problem with my soil as you. There is too much darned sand in it! I have found that I have to container garden and use raised beds here.

You can make some raised beds with super cheap untreated pine boards and wooden stakes. I have also found that our local grocery recieves their produce in wooden crates that they discard once a week by the dumpster. Those have been great for raised beds.

In Florida, you can probably start making your beds very soon. I just put in a winter/fall garden a few weeks ago because it stays warm here most of the year.

Another think I do is recycle produce from the grocery store. Any unused sprouted potatoes to into the garden. Another thing to put in there is the bottom parts of lettuce and celery, as they will actually sprout and grow more. I plant green onions from the store and cut the tops off with scissors when I need green onions. They keep producing all year.

You can even grow a pinapple from the top part you cut off.

Quoting smileber:

Next year will actually be my first year of gardening. My husband and I just got out of an apartment and renting a house with a huge yard that wasn't cared for for at least 2 years before us moving in. We will be taking the Winter to clear out and prep out yard for next Spring. We plan to garden to save us a lot of costs instead of buying from stores, and even using the gas to make the run. It could even help us make a profit. I am not too familiar with gardening, especially since I am in a completely different state and zone. I moved from a 6a in Illinois to a 9a in Florida! Since our ground isn't too complying, I plan to do most of my gardening in pots. I will also be gardening organically.

Thank you for all the ideas! We were hoping to make this new house our "forever home" for as long as we were based here, but we are going to be looking to move elsewhere. So I am really looking more for container/pot gardening. (:

• jlinville30
    December 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM

This will be my first year gardening and thinking about getting the soil ready by tilling, adding manure and gardening soil then covering for the winter.

And I am gardening to save money and be able to eat healthier.

• Bayareamommy510
    February 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Hello, So I always wanted a garden but we never had the option. I have been living in this house now for a year and we didnt even realize all the fruit that would grow until they sprouted so it was just kinda like "poof full grown garden!" I know little to nothing about what to do to keep the fruit growing strong. We have 1 peach tree, two apple trees, two cherry trees (I learned that the birds eat those fast!), a nectorine tree?? Not sure what it was but it looked sick so we didnt eat anything from it, a grape vine, and two pear tree's.... I think that is all. I have random bush's and the weeds get out of control!!! I guess what I am here for is help on the fruits, how much water, when to water, when to prune and help with  controlling the weeds in a safe matter. Also any ideas to make my yard look a lot better. So hopefully I am in the right place. oh and of corse I want to try to add some veggies this year. Maybe some Garlic, Onion, Tomatos, just simple things. 

• Nykkii
    by Nykkii
    April 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I'm new to gardening.  I grew herbs many years ago in small amounts, but that's it.  This year I'm planning to grow anything I can get my hands on that might grow here.  Haha.  I've started some herbs in my kitchen and my green beans are sprouting in my bathroom.  I have lots of heirloom veggie seeds coming in the mail any day now, so I'm excited to start those soon.  It's still cold here in the very northern part of Maine, so I'm stuck indoors for a bit longer.  It snowed today!  :) 

Fruit & Vegetable Gardening

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN