Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
mjande4
Small children at R rated movies
by mjande4
October 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I will admit I judged some parents harshly today. My husband and I went to see "Bad Grandpa".  There were four different families that brought children 4/5 years of age. I'm no prude, believe you me, but I could not believe they subjected their kids to that content. The movie was hilarious, but not appropriate for young kids at all.

Thoughts?

ETA: I don't think all R- rated movies are wholly inappropriate, but there is no question that "Bad Grandpa" is. It was created by the same people who made "Jackass" for goodness sakes. I haven't laughed that hard in a while, BUT it was NO place for a child.

Replies

• Barabell
    October 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM

At that age, I would not have brought my son because he still hadn't fully grasped the difference between entertainment and reality yet. I'm not sure what kind of other humor the movie had, but I wouldn't let my son watch Jackass when he was 5.

On the flip side, he is 14 now. He was going to see it with a friend on Saturday, but since they left the theater between the ticket purchase and entering for the movie, the theater wouldn't let him in despite claiming that they would remember the fact that the friend's mom approved them seeing a rated R movie without her. It was pretty annoying that they couldn't see the movie they wanted. At least they had a fun time hanging out at the mall instead.

• steelcrazy
    October 27, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    An R rated movie at home that mom and/or dad has already watched is one thing, but in a movie theater - I don't think so.
  • LaughCryLive
    October 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    Eh. Idk. I don't really screen what my kid watches. I remember watching Chucky at the movies when I was 5.
  • Allebas
    by Allebas
    October 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Eh--I was watching Halloween with my 5-year-old DD today. She is just like mommy!! LOVES scary movies! She has watched quite a few scary movies with me. She knows it is all fake and that the ppl are not 'really' being killed. She never has nightmares or wets her bed or anything after watching scary movies with me. Each parent has to decide for their own families what they feel their child can handle.

• momma-of-three3
    October 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    My dds started watching them around 8. Before that they didn't really care for movies. They still don't really watch them. I don't really mind that they watch. As long as they get the difference between real and make believe. Lol.
  • LaughCryLive
    October 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    Dd loves that ghost show on animal planet. It scares the crap out of me but she loves it.

Quoting Allebas:

Eh--I was watching Halloween with my 5-year-old DD today. She is just like mommy!! LOVES scary movies! She has watched quite a few scary movies with me. She knows it is all fake and that the ppl are not 'really' being killed. She never has nightmares or wets her bed or anything after watching scary movies with me. Each parent has to decide for their own families what they feel their child can handle.

• smscott23
    October 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM
    I seen that today as well! Although my daughter is only 2, I couldn't imagine bringing a child to see that!
  • TatyBear
    October 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM
    Meh.

I bring my.5 yr old to horror movies. We love them. I also.bring my 11 yr old and we see a lot of "adult" movies together at the theater.

To each their own. My.kids hate cartoons lol
  • jett286
    by jett286
    October 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Maybe I'm getting old, but small children in R rated movies kinda annoy me...  I'm at a restricted movie for ADULTS...  get a sitter or go see a family film...  but then again I made sure my kds were at age appropriate movies in public.

• veezy
    by veezy
    October 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Laugh My Ass Off....I literally did the quick sign up JUST so I could respond to this....you can ban me if you want afterward here goes: 
    Are you guys that let your little CHILDREN go see R-Rated movies on FUCKING DRUGS?!?! REALLY. REALLY?! As a former psychology major with friends colleagues in the field this is ABSURD TO HEAR... to expose  your children to such material before they are even emotionally able to comprehend it....LAUGHABLE.....

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts