NovaChick26
flu shot vs mist
September 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I wanted to get opinions from those who had their kids get the flu mist , how did you kids react to it did they like it better than the flu shot? My DD is 6 and this past year shes decided shes now terrified of needles so Im trying to figure out if the mist would work better.

Replies

• frndlyfn
    September 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM

No clue.  DD has yet to get any flu vaccine and she is 7.

• NovaChick26
    September 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I decided to get flu shot for my DD this year because she didnt get one last year and she caught every bug going around last year and she was soo sick and miserable and shes had flu shots previously and it did help cut down on the severity of how sick she got before. Iv never done the mist myself Im just wondering how does it feel does it burn does it have same side effects?

• mamacam7
    September 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM

My son is 8 and just got the mist today. He is not afraid of needles and actually got a shot today too ( I guess he missed one). He seemed to react the same way and just got sleepy. He has had flu shots in the past.

eta- he did not get the shot last year and was out of commision for 2 weeks because of the flu and another 2 weeks for bronchitis right after that (between thanksgiving and christmas)

• steelcrazy
    September 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM

My pediatrician doesn't offer an option, once the children are a certain age, they are given the mist if their parents want them to have the flu vaccine.  I don't know much about the mist since my boys have never had a flu vaccine and are never sick.

• soymujer
    September 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I've heard that the mist doesn't work as good as the shot. 

• mom4awesomekids
    September 17, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Both my youngest daughter and I have the shot but that's because we have asthma and allergies....my 5 year old gets the flu mist and it didn't seem to bother her at all and she has sensory processing disorder, so I was surprised....she would handle the mist a lot better than the shots anyways because of her anxiety.

• LoriAnn87
    September 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Whenever we go have our oldest flu shot done we have an option of the needle or the mist and we always choose the mist because it's quicker and less painless then the needle is.

• KatieFlower
    September 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    I got the mist for my kids the past few years because they've reached the age that they can get that instead of the shot

No reactions
  • Barabell
    September 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM

The mist usually protects against more strains, so both myself and my son get the mist.

• Barabell
    September 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Quoting soymujer:

I've heard that the mist doesn't work as good as the shot. 

False. It usually provides better protection because it usually covers more strains of the flu virus.