Featured Posts
mommy06and09
what do you do when
June 12, 2013 at 8:10 PM
your kids fight? my kids are 7 and almost 4. i need some new ideas cause im sick of jumping in... thanks!

Replies

• steelcrazy
    June 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM

If there is no blood or risk of serious injury, then I don't want to hear about it.  You need to figure it out on your own.  Honestly, it is important for kids to learn how to solve their own problems, how to negotiate, and how to get along with others.  Siblings are great at teaching each other these skills if their parents let them. 

So in a nutshell, quit jumping in and leave them to handle it on their own.

• rsrangel
    June 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    I feel your pain! I have 4 kids, ages 8, 6, 5, & 4. The fighting gets on my last nerve at times! Hoping someone can offer up advice for you, because I could use some to! I normally either ignore it, or separate mine and make them play alone. I do find that when I give them tasks, art projects, or play with them, the fighting stops. But I know it's hard at times especially when you need to make dinner, clean, or just want a break!
  • momtoBrenna
    June 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM

My kids are also 7 and 4 (almost 5) and I also let them work it out whenever possible. That has been the case for quite some time now. 

• Mommynwife26
    June 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I've been letting them fight it out, I have 2 6yr olds and I am so tired of it that I am allowing them to duke it out, even if it gets physical (they don't hit mostly pinch or push). Figure they will work out their issues.

• jamianne
    June 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM

This.  I have a 6 and a 4 year old and usually let them work it out on their own.  They don't get to the point where I have to intervene that often.  Unless someone is hurt, I'll give them a warning to either settle it or stop before I get involved - and that's usually only if I'm completely fed up with listening to it or it's to the point of potentially disturbing the neighbors (ie banging on the floors or walls or excessive screaming).  They usually settle things pretty quickly by themselves then because we give them both consequences if we have to intervene.

Quoting steelcrazy:

If there is no blood or risk of serious injury, then I don't want to hear about it.  You need to figure it out on your own.  Honestly, it is important for kids to learn how to solve their own problems, how to negotiate, and how to get along with others.  Siblings are great at teaching each other these skills if their parents let them. 

So in a nutshell, quit jumping in and leave them to handle it on their own.

• steelcage
    June 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Seperate them, take away whatever they are fighting over, ground if need be.

• aetrom
    by aetrom
    June 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    I too usually let them work it out. If they are bothering me then i send them to a different place or if it keeps happening i give the warning "if your brother cries everyone will be in trouble." (They usually get very careful then. ;)
  • la_bella_vita
    June 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I tell them to figure it out their own or they take some "me" time

• alexsmomaubrys2
    June 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Separate them.

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    June 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Depends on what they're fighting about. Sometimes I step in(if one is being a bit of a "bully"), sometimes I separate them (if it's been going on for too long or I'm afraid they might start hitting- which they usually don't), and other times I make them work it out.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts