Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
lskay00
Learn to ride a bike without training wheels!
by lskay00
June 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM

My DD is 6, 7 in July, she can not ride a bike without training wheels.  Part of it is our fault, not getting out with her sooner.  Planned on working with her last summer, but I had a baby in June and just never really got around to it.  This year, we are working on it, but my DD is stubborn and if she doesn't want to do something, she doesn't.  We have moved the training wheels so the bike wobbles back and forth.  She fell off the other day and is very scared to get on and ride.  Tried to go for a walk last night, she cried the whole time (two blocks), refused to cross the road without help and threw a fit until I made her go to bed when we got home...at 7:45.  So frustrated!  I don't know how to help her:(  TIA!

Replies

• sarah824
    June 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM

We are going thru it with our DD too. She will be 6 in 2 weeks and has NO interest in learning without training wheels. She has quit riding her bike altogether because we are telling her she has to learn. Her attitude is that if we are going to take the training wheels off then she just won't ride. We really want to do family rides this summer, but not with her on training wheels. Hopefully you get lots of good advice that I can use too! :-)

• frndlyfn
    June 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM

She still has time to learn without.  That usually does not happen for many until age 8..  I personally would not rush it just because i think that is what should happen.  How long has she been riding w/ training wheels?  It is typically either a confidence thing or a balance thing.  In my case as an adult it is a balance thing since i can fall faster than a leaf in autumn when on a bike.

• steelcrazy
    June 11, 2013 at 4:27 PM

It is more about having a good sense of balance, which you really can't teach.  I would let her ride her bike as often as she wants, and when she is ready to try, she will let you know.  Kinda like potty training, it isn't worth forcing her to do it because it will only end badly.

• bzzybeemomof3
    June 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Remove one training wheel completely so she just has to balance it out more.

IDK I did that with my girls, they are 11 and almost 5 and both were rididng without traning wheels at the age of 3. I just took them off on their 3rd bday and didnt put them back on so they had no choice to learn without if they wanted to ride their bikes. It took 1 day. For my oldest and like 20 minutes for my middle. But my friends dd was almost 7 when she learned they left 1 wheel on and got her to learn balance, by the next day she was riding on her own.

• jen113000
    June 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    We taught our son on grass at first. That way you just get dirty and not hurt if you fall. We ran behind him to help. Had him push off with his feet and try to balance without pedaling just yet. Eventually he just took off on the grass then we moved to pavement. He's been riding for over a year now without training wheels. He is 7 now.
  • Cafe Amanda
    June 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM

There was a post about this the other day that I replied to, so I'll re-post my reply here too. :)

We just did a "learn to bike" event that a local bike/pedestrian organization held for kids and they take the pedals off the kids' bikes (basically making them into a balance bike) and lower the seats so the kids can practice propelling themselves forward with their feet and getting the momentum while balancing without pedaling. I'd try having her do that for a while - maybe even find an empty parking lot somewhere she could go around and around to get the hang of it - and then when she is able to coast with her feet up and balance, you put the pedals back on.

My 6-year-old was riding his two-wheeler after just 45 minutes of practice like this, which shocked me! He was really, really motivated though - he's been on a trail-a-bike on one of our bikes for a year now (this also helps them get the feel of balancing), and was getting fed up with the wobbly training wheels on his own bike.

A local bike shop can show you how to take the pedals off and put them back on, too. Or search for bike groups in your area too! Good luck!

Quoting lskay00:

My DD is 6, 7 in July, she can not ride a bike without training wheels.  Part of it is our fault, not getting out with her sooner.  Planned on working with her last summer, but I had a baby in June and just never really got around to it.  This year, we are working on it, but my DD is stubborn and if she doesn't want to do something, she doesn't.  We have moved the training wheels so the bike wobbles back and forth.  She fell off the other day and is very scared to get on and ride.  Tried to go for a walk last night, she cried the whole time (two blocks), refused to cross the road without help and threw a fit until I made her go to bed when we got home...at 7:45.  So frustrated!  I don't know how to help her:(  TIA!

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts