Featured Posts
maxswolfsuit
Ask the Teacher!
Max
January 16 at 4:24 PM

Welcome to Elementary School Kids, "Ask the Teacher" post!

Ask anything and we will do our best to give you an honest, informative reply. 

I've been teaching elementary school for 15 years. My master's degree is in reading education and I'm certified in Exceptional Student Education, and ESL. I've taught a variety of grades and more kids than I can count. 

If you'd like to check out the hundreds of questions that have already been asked and answered check the old post here and here

Replies

• culinaryqueen
    December 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    Thank You

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting culinaryqueen:

Third grade Science fair projects, why are parents so competitive? My son has aspergers and is in reg ed, he has chosen a project called Volcano under Water, its really dealing with water particles, well his project includes a fish bowl, a water thermometer, red food coloring, kitchen twine and and empty vanilla extract bottle washed and cleaned out... well I attended a mtg last week re: the projects and I ran into a friend of mine whose daughter is also in third grade but in another class, well she told me that she ordered her daughter a bacteria kit online, I am aware in the upper grades this might be ok, but in third grade?? See her mom is an RN so this is right up her moms alley... just wondering. His log book is due this Friday and he has to have 10 entrees, but his project is not due till the middle of Jan.  We have everything including the poster board so today we are doing the hands on part, Man the log book had to include the date, day and time when he chose the project, and on another page we had to include when the Letter of Intent got turned into his teacher, his third entree was the day, date and time when we went to the store and bought the supplies needed and he also itemized them on this entree.  I thought in the early grades that science projects were supposed to be fun and simple you know just items around the house to create an experiment not order a kit online..It was explained in the mtg that this week the teachers were going to be discussing the scientific method to the class, he does not really understand alot of the big words so I have to break it down for him on what they mean, also he recieves OT services due to his writing, its not real great,but he tries really hard and I am so proud of him for this so I do what I can as well to help and aid him. He  has defintely improved and Im proud of him for this, so I am hoping that it will be ok that I am doing the writing, BUT.... I am using his words and not mine....GRRRR just a little fustrated..lol, this is a major grade for science 

Did you talk to the teacher about it?

I feel strongly that projects done at home need to be done by the student. I've sent home several projects that were clearly done by parents with instructions to redo them. Luckily for me my administration fully supports me in this so if parents complain I won't get in trouble. Not all school administrators  will support teachers and risk upsetting parents though. 

As for the writing for him, is that on his IEP? Since he receives OT services I don't think it's inappropriate for you to write for him as long as it's his words. Have you considered having him type it instead? Sometimes kids with OT issues never really develop great handwriting so typing is a skills they need way before middle or high school. 

I know I always grade based on the content. Your child should get a good grade because he did the work. 

Good luck!

• SnowWhieQueen
    December 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM

my son is 6 and in 1st grade...and at this point he hates school..he has pdd/adhd...and has learning delay...the class is reading writing adding subtracting...he is still having trouble with his abc's and counting..he has trouble sitting still...hes not potty trained sucks his thumb..likes his desk ..things like that..he has a tss..witch helps but i cant get the school and teacher to understand he has problems..and is not lazy and bad...we are at this point waiting for an eval for learning support..but he keeps being wrote up..and hes being bullied by other kids..and the school is saying its his own fault...any ideas..have u ever been threw anything like this??

• MomtoAlexis05
    December 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Hello again! And again thank you for being on this board and answering our questions!!! My next question is....going back to reading, my daughter (who recently came home w/ a little bit of an issue in reading fluency on her report card *mentioned) so we've decided to take her to the library...Lots!!! I tell her to pick out books she likes yet she picks out books sooo below her 3rd grade level, I mean even a 2nd grade level would be ok by me, but imo she needs to be reading 3rd grade level as challange books and can read w/e she wants above and beyond that, is this the correct way of thinking?? Such as, I tell her to get a couple grade~level Chapter books, then she can get some 1st grade pop up books that she can read super fast and seems to cling to?? The childrens Librarian at the public library told me to allow her to read at any grade level so long as she's 'reading', I am just confused is all. Can you help to clarify what is the path I should be taking w/ her at this time (she is 8 and in the 3rd grade). Thanks!! bow down

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    December 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Quoting MomtoAlexis05:

Hello again! And again thank you for being on this board and answering our questions!!! My next question is....going back to reading, my daughter (who recently came home w/ a little bit of an issue in reading fluency on her report card *mentioned) so we've decided to take her to the library...Lots!!! I tell her to pick out books she likes yet she picks out books sooo below her 3rd grade level, I mean even a 2nd grade level would be ok by me, but imo she needs to be reading 3rd grade level as challange books and can read w/e she wants above and beyond that, is this the correct way of thinking?? Such as, I tell her to get a couple grade~level Chapter books, then she can get some 1st grade pop up books that she can read super fast and seems to cling to?? The childrens Librarian at the public library told me to allow her to read at any grade level so long as she's 'reading', I am just confused is all. Can you help to clarify what is the path I should be taking w/ her at this time (she is 8 and in the 3rd grade). Thanks!! bow down

It's a tricky thing to figure out. 

On one hand, the children's librarian is right. As long as she's reading it and enjoying it that's what is most important. 

On the other hand, so are you. If she only ever reads things way below her level she won't improve very quickly. 

My suspicion is that she might be picking easier books because she knows you are going to ask her to read them to you. Some kids will look for books specifically to find ones that will be fast and easy rather than what they will actually enjoy. 

If that's the case you might want to get some more advanced novels and read them to her. Hopefully she will realize that the higher level books are really more interesting and start to gravitate to them. 

I would also have her pick a combo of books. You don't really want to limit her to a specific reading level. But if you tell her she needs to find books with at least a couple of paragraphs on each page it should knock out the really low level ones. 

Then you can buddy read with her where you read one page and she reads another so it won't seem like so much work for her. 

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    December 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Quoting SnowWhieQueen:

my son is 6 and in 1st grade...and at this point he hates school..he has pdd/adhd...and has learning delay...the class is reading writing adding subtracting...he is still having trouble with his abc's and counting..he has trouble sitting still...hes not potty trained sucks his thumb..likes his desk ..things like that..he has a tss..witch helps but i cant get the school and teacher to understand he has problems..and is not lazy and bad...we are at this point waiting for an eval for learning support..but he keeps being wrote up..and hes being bullied by other kids..and the school is saying its his own fault...any ideas..have u ever been threw anything like this??

What is a TSS? Is it an assistant?

Why do you think the school is saying it's fault? Why do you think they don't think anything is wrong with him?

Just because they are writing him up that doesn't mean they think it's his fault or don't know something is wrong. The problems you are describing are very severe. But the school needs to track his progress over a period of time to evaluate the best way to meet his needs. Writing him up is part of the documentation they will have to determine what services will benefit him the most. 

• MomtoAlexis05
    December 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Thank you very much for your great advice!!!

Quoting MomtoAlexis05:

It's a tricky thing to figure out. 

On one hand, the children's librarian is right. As long as she's reading it and enjoying it that's what is most important. 

On the other hand, so are you. If she only ever reads things way below her level she won't improve very quickly. 

My suspicion is that she might be picking easier books because she knows you are going to ask her to read them to you. Some kids will look for books specifically to find ones that will be fast and easy rather than what they will actually enjoy. 

If that's the case you might want to get some more advanced novels and read them to her. Hopefully she will realize that the higher level books are really more interesting and start to gravitate to them. 

I would also have her pick a combo of books. You don't really want to limit her to a specific reading level. But if you tell her she needs to find books with at least a couple of paragraphs on each page it should knock out the really low level ones. 

Then you can buddy read with her where you read one page and she reads another so it won't seem like so much work for her. 

• oaron5555
    December 13, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hi again, 

I would like to get your opinion on diagramming.  The LA curriculum we use is introducing diagramming.  I am wondering, if a child has a strong understanding of subject and predicate and can identify them in a sentence easily, is it ok to skip the diagramming portion of this curriculum.  Maybe do one or two diagramming problems and not daily?

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    December 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Quoting oaron5555:

Hi again, 

I would like to get your opinion on diagramming.  The LA curriculum we use is introducing diagramming.  I am wondering, if a child has a strong understanding of subject and predicate and can identify them in a sentence easily, is it ok to skip the diagramming portion of this curriculum.  Maybe do one or two diagramming problems and not daily?

Are you homeschooling?

If your child can tell you the parts of the sentence I don't see the need to do much diagramming. Diagramming is a useful tool for teachers who are assessing large groups of students and can't assess each one individually. But if you're only working with one child you don't need to rely on it. 

• oaron5555
    December 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Yes we homeschool.  Thank you for your reply:)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting oaron5555:

Hi again, 

Are you homeschooling?

If your child can tell you the parts of the sentence I don't see the need to do much diagramming. Diagramming is a useful tool for teachers who are assessing large groups of students and can't assess each one individually. But if you're only working with one child you don't need to rely on it. 

• 2kids07n12
    January 3 at 10:06 PM

My daughter is 6 and in kindergarten she has adhd, pdd, and disruptive behavior. She is on meds, i have a 2 yr old at home. I have a hard time getting my daughter to do homework in fact the 3 packets she has gotten since school started, she is still working on. She has a really hard time doing school work. She hates to draw if she don't know how to do it and refuses or says i want to do this at school.  She now has a website to go on for some other homework she loves doing it on the computer, she gets rewards on the computer. How can i get her to do the homework on paper? I have tried timers, no tv, having my son play in his room. No matter what i do she refuses.  She says she hates kindergarten and wants to be in 5th grade.  

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts