Featured Posts
MommyChance
The teacher is wrong?
April 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Have you ever had to tell your child that their teacher is wrong?

Replies

• coolmommy2x
    April 28, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    Yes. DS's 2nd grade teacher had him on a reward system to help his behavior. If got an 80% or higher, he got a reward. She kept getting the math wrong! He was trying hard and because of her errors, wasn't getting his earned rewards. At first I let it go but then I couldn't. If her math was wrong, he got the reward at home. She's the only teacher we've had any problems with. I made sure DD didn't her for 2nd grade this year.
  • beachbeauty
    April 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM

No, but my child has told the teacher she was wrong.  He had one teacher tell him that Mt. St. Helens was in Hawaii.  He told her it was in Washington, he'd been there, and she got a little angry, but she googled it and then told the class he was right. 

Teachers are only human, they don't know everything, they can be wrong like everyone else.  I just tell my kids if they think they need to correct them that they need to be respectful.

• OwlNuggets
    April 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Kind of going through this with my little cousin right now.

She's had problems with her kindergarten teacher all year and is behind in her studies enough that she's in extended hours to try and gain some ground.
    Her mother and great grandmother believe the teacher just doesn't like her and she doesn't get the attention she needs in the classroom; I happen to know she can be a very difficult child (I am with her more on a weekly basis than her mom who has a very demanding job and other children to support) and believe that the discipline and notes sent home and negative comments on her report card and being disruptive and stuff are probably just the truth...  

• frndlyfn
    April 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Not yet *knock on wood*.  

• bcauseimthemom
    April 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I have had the issue on many occasions with my son correcting various teachers.  Every time he has done it, he has raised his hand and was very polite about it.  He has been right on every time.  

There was only one teacher that seemed to have an issue with him. I went in for a confrence with her about him and she brought the subject up with me.  I asked her if he was rude, she said no. I asked if he was doing something wrong, her answer to me was that she hated that my son was right everytime he corrected her.  I asked her what she would like me to do about it?  I would not have him dumb down for her class. I suggested that maybe she should advance her studies so that my son wouldn't have to be the one with the correct answers in the class.  

Yes, I realize this may sound bitchy but she was a first year teacher and a little girl at my son's table was threatening to stab him in the eye with a pencil. Well, my son raised his hand and told this teacher and her response was "We don't tattle."  Well, he ended up with lead in his eye from being stabbed by this heathen child and he had to wait until he went to music to have a teacher that would do something about it.  I got a call over an hour after it happened. We ended up in the emergency room and he ended up under the care of an ophthalmologist for months because of the damage done to my child's eye.  The girl that stabbed him in the eye was expelled from the school and in the end, the teacher never returned to teach in that district.  My son on the other hand, is a straight A student that is actually being challenged in his classes and excelling in all he does.

When my son was younger I was also told that I needed to provide materials to challenge him and keep him busy in class because he was finishing too quickly.  I asked them, wasn't that what he was coming to school for?? I sent books but there was only so much I could do.  I asked about testing him out and into a higher grade but they wouldn't let him.  I told them that my hands were tied but that if they had no other option for him, they would have to provide him with the "stimulation" that he needed and would also make sure that he was learning things he didn't know.  

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    April 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM

not yet.

I do remember going home & repeating something a teacher had said & my parents correcting it, though.  The teacher had said that there aren't ever 3 vowels in a row in English, my parents correctly pointed out that words with a 'qu' will sometimes have 3 vowels in a row ('queen' for example).  I never did correct the teacher, though.

• steelcrazy
    April 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Yep, I've found mistakes in grading of tests and quite a few mistakes in one teacher's math homework answer key that she sends home to parents.  No, the answer key isn't from the book publisher, but something that she makes up on her own.

I politely point the mistakes out to the teacher, and it gets fixed.  I've never had to make a big deal over any of it though.

• MunchiesMom324
    April 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Yes, because he's had a few accidents at school... she won't let him get up at naptime to use the restroom and he winds up pooping himself.  If it were more solid, I would understand him having to hold it.... but this is out of the blue diarhea and since she says he can't go... well, you know what happens.  Four times this school year, he's come home in different pants.  How embarassing!!!

I told him I don't care WHAT the teacher says - if he HAS to go, he is to get up and run.  Tell the teacher "I'm sorry, but I REALLY have to go" and just go straight to the bathroom.

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    April 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Nap time!? Is this preschool?

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Yes, because he's had a few accidents at school... she won't let him get up at naptime to use the restroom and he winds up pooping himself.  If it were more solid, I would understand him having to hold it.... but this is out of the blue diarhea and since she says he can't go... well, you know what happens.  Four times this school year, he's come home in different pants.  How embarassing!!!

I told him I don't care WHAT the teacher says - if he HAS to go, he is to get up and run.  Tell the teacher "I'm sorry, but I REALLY have to go" and just go straight to the bathroom.

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    April 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Early on that happened a couple of times, but we handled it in a nice way. Teachers are overworked, underpaid, AND human. They will make mistakes JUST like parents do.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yep, I've found mistakes in grading of tests and quite a few mistakes in one teacher's math homework answer key that she sends home to parents.  No, the answer key isn't from the book publisher, but something that she makes up on her own.

I politely point the mistakes out to the teacher, and it gets fixed.  I've never had to make a big deal over any of it though.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts