mommy06and09
how do you get your kids to...
April 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM
drink water? my kids HATE it. they avoid it like the plague! they ask for something to drink and i say water so they say nevermind im not thirst. how can i get them to drink more water?

Replies

• chcon
    by chcon
    April 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    We've not had any trouble with this. Since they were off formula/breastmilk they've had either milk or water 90% of the time. With no other options, they just got used to it I guess.
  • bizkit_fanky
    April 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Dd hates it too...I buy the drink packets to add to her water....

• annelauer
    April 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

We've never had a problem with this, but I do have a suggestion. For fun we diffuse water. The kids love to help. We'll make a pitcher with lemon, cucumbers, fennel, basil and mint usually. (That's everyone's favorite.) My kids are young so they can't cut the produce, but they can rinse it, pick the herbs and do some taste testing as we go. You can use most anything. Citrus, berries, herbs, melon, etc. It is aesthetically pleasing, they helped make it and it has a little flavor. It's still water though. Good luck!

• annelauer
    April 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    Don't do that!

Quoting bizkit_fanky:

Dd hates it too...I buy the drink packets to add to her water....

• winterglow
    April 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I've never had a problem with this. OTOH, water is the only drink they ever get offered at table and when they're thirsty. That's they way things are here. People drink water.

• kmrtigger
    April 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Mine have always been a big fan of water. We do add fruits and spices to it to add different options.

• Mom2jngnc
    April 28, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I don't know... mine just do......

• 907PickleMom
    April 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    Mine do.. Never made a big deal about it.. I would just keep offering it as the only option for a few days. That might get them to drink it. Good luck!
  • mommy06and09
    April 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    i finally made a rule that they have to drink a glass of water before any other liquid. i just hope this doesnt back fire on me and make them drink less of the other stuff. (the only other thing i usually offer is milk but they plow through that)
  • janitablue
    April 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM

ere are 5 GREAT Ways to get your kids to drink More WATER!

1. Make it accessible - Soda and juices are so convenient because they are kept in the fridge so they always cold. EVERYTHING tastes better cold! So keep a large water jug or dispenser where your children can access it! If you get one like the one pictured, you can refill it yourself and your children will LOVE the fact that they can get it themselves!

2. Add Fruit - I know that a lot of folks add lemon and lime but maybe you want your water to have a bit more pizazz! Try adding watermelon, oranges, berries, or even cucumber to your water. Freeze the fruit first and you will have delicious ice cubes! 

3. Fun Cups - Any fun cup will do! A cute sipper, a cup with a crazy straw, or try a cup that your child can decorate! You can actually use their favorite piece of artwork, a picture, or have them design something super special. Taking the time to sit with your child and decorate this cup will make it special for them and they will use it more! 

4. FREEZE IT! Make an ice pop for summer fun! Add fresh fruit and sit it in a mold (or use a dixie cup and a Popsicle stick) in the freezer.  

5. Make it a game! Get a chalk board or dry erase board and track EVERYONE in the families water intake! The first one to eight cups wins!