Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
swimingmom
summer activity for elementary kids
April 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

What kids usually do during summer months?  Do they do any workbooks/summer homework?

Replies

• frndlyfn
    April 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

We have a few workbooks but nothing she has to do.  We do alot of traveling and world experiences around town. She loves to read so that is no issue to maintain during summer.

• janitablue
    April 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM

In my perfect world I would love my son to do workbooks or even join a reading program in the libary. My son will join a summer program and have fun relaxing for the summer.

• Ryansmom2004
    April 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM

My son will be this year as he is behind on his reading but we will still have fun. I am going to set up an outside obstacle course in our front yard for my son and his friends

• yanamom
    by yanamom
    April 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM

kidsbowlfree.com and kidsskatefree.com or something like that. If there is a place nearby that particpates. You still pay for skate/shoes but the bowling fee or skating admission is free. It is usually 2 or 3 days each week.

My middle school kids also have summer reading assignements from their school.

• Lorelai_Nicole
    April 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM

We devote about 2 hours a week to schoolwork during the summer. This is in addition to their summer reading lists. Plus we do a lot of what I call "practical learning": gardening, cooking, nature walks, etc.

• Tryshx
    by Tryshx
    April 28, 2013 at 4:17 AM

I have him do worksheets and starfall.com to keep his sightwords and reading skills fresh in his brain... but Tiger Cub Scouts are going to keep us pretty busy I think this Summer.

• theresaphilly
    April 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM

They give my children 2 books to read over the summer, and they read the books in two - three weeks and work sheets. After that it is; Overnight Summer Camp, Traveling, Having Fun with Friends & Family. 

• disneymom2two
    April 28, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I hate workbooks so no, we don't do them during the summer.  We travel, go to parks, museums, the beach, cook new recipes I don't have time for when I'm working, visit family, and just hang out.  My son goes to camp for 2 weeks.  My daughter takes swimming lessons.  The local bank has a program where kids in elementary school get money for each book they read up to 10 books.  She'll do that since she'd be reading anyway and its a free $25.  We do real life learning - grocery shopping, cooking together, budgeting while we're shopping, counting money to pay for something, writing letters and postcards to family not near us, time telling for a schedule.  There are reading requirements for school which will be done.  Last year my son had a small science requirement over the summer since he's in high school honors; not sure if there'll be one again this year but if so, he'll do that as well.

• Courtney123496
    April 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

^this Is the camp he goes to^

My 7 year old son usually goes to camp for a weekend.We try and get him in the same cabin as his 7 year old cousin.They do crafts,go swimming,eat meals,boating,zip lining etc...he has a fun time there.

• ddhb2007
    April 28, 2013 at 11:09 AM

We don't do workbooks.  They're stupid in my opinion.  My daughter's summer program mixes learning activities with fun activities.  She will be visiting a farm, a zoo, and several state and local parks.  They have one day each week where they focus on athletics (yoga, soccer, kickball, track and field, volleyball, biking, etc.).  They will be visiting the library every other week.  They're planting classroom gardens, and a master gardener will be coming in each week to talk about another aspect of gardening.  They have veterans coming in to talk about patriotism over the 4th.  They will be visiting the seniors in the adjacent assisted living facilities for crafts and plays.  They also do journals each week just like in school to practice their writing and reading.  They also team up with the younger kids, to teach them what they learned in school last year.  It's a great program.

In addition, we'll be spending a week of vacation touring the Great Lakes.  We'll be camping in several state and national parks.  We're going to sail on a tall ship in July.  We'll be spending time with family, jetskiing on the lake, and taking swimming lessons. 

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN