janitablue
Do you think United States should have school year round ?
March 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Higher Education Attainment

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s 2012 Education at a Glance report has found that while the U.S. boasts high education attainment levels overall, it lags behind other countries that are increasing attainment levels at a higher rate.

The report analyzed the education systems of the 34 OECD member countries in addition to Argentina, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Russia, Saudi Arabia and South Africa.

In the U.S., 42 percent of all 25-64 year-old have reached higher education -- making it one of the most well educated countries in the world, but behind Canada (51 percent), Israel (46 percent), Japan (45 percent) and the Russian Federation (54 percent). When it comes to the young adult population, however, the U.S. ranks 14th among 37 OECD and G20 countries in the percentage of 25-34 year-olds boasting higher education attainment, at 42 percent. This puts it above the OECD average of 38 percent, but over 20 percentage points behind the leader, Korea, at 65 percent.

According to the report, higher education attainment levels in the U.S. are growing at a below-average rate compared to other OECD and G20 countries. Between 2000 and 2010, attainment levels in the U.S. increased by an average of 1.3 percentage points annually, while its OECD counterparts boasted a 3.7 percentage-point increase per year overall.

“Based on these trends, the U.S. may find that an increasing number of countries will approach or surpass its attainment levels in the coming years,” the U.S. country report reads. “Other countries in this situation include Estonia, Finland, Israel and the Russian Federation.”

Do you think if United States focus on provide year round education can it help students to perform well  ?

Do you think United States should have year round schooling ?

Replies

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    March 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM

No, I do NOT support year round school. We travel extensively in the summer and my kids go to camps to enhance their learning in other areas. 

• iuangina
    March 30, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    I think year round school would be awesome. The way most calendars are balanced allow go two weeks off every nine weeks or so. They distribute the summer break throughout the year. I think that would be great for the teachers and the kids.

I also think the US needs to think about focusing what is being taught. If you teach and ensure the kids understand it rather than trying to cram too much information into one year we would have more successful students. For example, if the younger grades focus on numbers and operations in math...all those other subjects as they get older will be much easier to learn.
  • diaperstodating
    March 30, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    No
  • AutymsMommy
    March 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I don't think the United States, as a whole, should have anything to do with education...

• janitablue
    March 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Well said I agreed . It also helps student as they advance into  higher grade.  When they reach to college they don't have to take remedial courses because when there were in school they grasp the concept of math or english. 

Quoting iuangina:

I think year round school would be awesome. I also think the US needs to think about focusing what is being taught. If you teach and ensure the kids understand it rather than trying to cram too much information into one year we would have more successful students. For example, if the younger grades focus on numbers and operations in math...all those other subjects as they get older will be much easier to learn.

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    March 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Most kids DON'T need remediation. There are many other avenues of education that are utilized during the summer months. 

Quoting janitablue:

Well said I agreed . It also helps student as they advance into  higher grade.  When they reach to college they don't have to take remedial courses because when there were in school they grasp the concept of math or english. 

Quoting iuangina:

I think year round school would be awesome. I also think the US needs to think about focusing what is being taught. If you teach and ensure the kids understand it rather than trying to cram too much information into one year we would have more successful students. For example, if the younger grades focus on numbers and operations in math...all those other subjects as they get older will be much easier to learn.

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    March 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM

We've had ds1 in schools w/ both traditional and yr-round calendars. I liked the yr-round one, for the most part. He did miss out on Vacation Bible School b/c it was always held while he was still in regular school, but other than that, it was nice. We could take a longer trip during off-peak times of the yr; he had 3 wks off for fall break, 2 wks off for winter break, 3 wks for spring break, and the month of July off for summer vacation.

• notjstanothrmom
    March 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    No. I think our schools need an over haul. I am lucky to live in a great school district but I am aware of what surrounds us and I wouldn't send my kids to most schools. What we need is better schools with better curriculums not just year round junk.
  • rockinmomto2
    March 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I think our children need a more well rounded education and I think our teachers should have more freedom in what they teach and how they teach it. I also think that standardized testing has hurt the US much more than the government would like to believe. 

I went to a private school that did semi-year round. We began school at the end of July, had a week off for Thanksgiving, 3 1/2 weeks off for Christmas, and 2 weeks off for spring break. We were done with school the first Friday in June. That left almost two entire months off, but also allowed for more schooling. I'm all for longer school years, just not for the entire year.

• M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    March 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    I agree that kids should thoroughly understand one concept at a time so that they can use it in different ways later. My girls jump from one math to another so much that I never know what math they are working on.

Quoting iuangina:

I think year round school would be awesome. The way most calendars are balanced allow go two weeks off every nine weeks or so. They distribute the summer break throughout the year. I think that would be great for the teachers and the kids.

I also think the US needs to think about focusing what is being taught. If you teach and ensure the kids understand it rather than trying to cram too much information into one year we would have more successful students. For example, if the younger grades focus on numbers and operations in math...all those other subjects as they get older will be much easier to learn.