Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
MsLogansMommy
What do you call your child's teacher?
March 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM

For instance if the teacher's name is Jane Smith, do you call her Jane or Ms. Smith?

When I am speaking in a one on one situation or via email I call her Jane but if I am talking to her in front of my daughter or any other children I call her Ms. Smith. My dd tends to mimic a lot of what I do so I don't want her to stand up in class and say, "excuse me, Jane, I have a question." lol I was just wondering how other moms refer to the teacher.

Replies

• KristenFowles
    March 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I call my son's Kindergartner teacher Laurel..

He calls her Mrs. _______

• iansusie
    March 29, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I always call her Ms. whatever the name is... in person or via email, kids or no kids. They call me by my Ms., too. We are not friends, no reason to call her by her name or vice versa!

• coolmommy2x
    March 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    Always Mrs. Smith. They've told me to use their first nsames but I can 't.
  • StephanieSH
    March 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I use Mr. or Ms.  I'm old fashioned. I'm 42 and I still feel weird about calling my own teachers by their first names even though I am long out of school :)

• SP_Mama
    by SP_Mama
    March 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Mrs. ___________

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    March 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Considering they will all be my coworkers I would do first names. 

But unless parents know the teacher from somewhere else or have been told to use first names, Mrs. ____ is really the respectful thing to do. I also call parents by their last names. Even if they ask me to use first names I don't unless I've known them a long time. By the time I teach the third kid in the family I might use first names. 

One of my team mated started get emails from a parent this year addressed to her first name. We all found it to be a little disrespectful. She's a younger teacher and calling her by her last name supports her authority. We live in very conservative and traditional area. Maybe other places are different. 

• momtoBrenna
    March 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    I call my dd's teacher Mrs___ and she calls me Mrs___ in email and in person. I am currently ds's teacher so that is moot. I did just enroll him into a virtual school for the Fall and I will call him or her Mr or Mrs too.
  • chcon
    by chcon
    March 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    I address them as Ms. Or Mrs. Or Mr. - especially in front of kids.
  • KKmommy3
    March 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Mrs., Ms., or Mr. whatever.  That is how I was introduced to them, and If I don't know them personally I think that is the correct way to address them.

• Mommynwife26
    March 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I call them Mrs. ____.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN