Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
itty88
Kindergarten to repeat next year or not.... ****update***2
by itty88
March 22, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Hi I'm new to the group.

My son is turning six next month and is currently in kindergarten. The last conference they were suggesting that he just was not where some of the other class is with reading and writing. And that repeating next year would probably be best. He is a very easy, good mannered kid. Never in trouble, plays and listens well. But I think some things just are not clicking with him, we are looking at getting him a tutor for the remainder of the school year as well as the summer if it will help him catch up. I'm just not sure if the teacher is giving up, I asked a friend that is a Kindergarten teacher in a different district and she couldn't believe the conversation came up at this time of year. 

I think it would be upsetting for him to repeat kindergarten, he is excited to be a first grader next year. But I don't want him to not be ready either. Anyone have experience with this? I need some help! 

***update****

Can't believe all of your replies still working through reading them, truly appreciate all of your advice what a great group! 

Side note, he is very good at math and unbelievable at problem solving, he also had two previous years of preschool. We thought we were doing everything we could to get him ready for this year. I think that is part of why this is so hard to grasp. Coming into school he was ahead of most kids as far as what they would like them to know. 

***update 2***

My son is currently in full day kindergarten. I will be setting him up with a tutor for the remainder of the year and over the summer. We still work with him at home but I think professional help is the best for him. He does get assistance at school during the day to work on the reading etc. and we are going to look into the possibility of dyslexia or other possible learning difficulties. This is my little man and I'm going to do everything I can for him and try to make the best decision for his next year of school. 

Replies

• frndlyfn
    March 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Hmm no clue.  DD is struggling right now in first grade due to the amount of actual writing that goes on.  I think though he may be sad about it , if it helps to have him stay back then do it.   Defintely look into tutoring and summer help, talk to the teachers/principal to see if that would help him to move forward.

• BeccaMathes85
    March 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM

My son is 8 and needed to repeat the first grade at first i was not for it but then i put my pride aside and talked to my son about it and told him that its not because he was not good enough he just needed some extra time to learn a few things! He has done so much better with his school work this year then he did last year! Heck he is in the top of his class! It makes it better for them because they know what is going on and it gives him the time to practice what they don't understand complety! I think it will be okay if by the end of the year, if you notice he has not made any improvement to hold him back and put him in summer school it will really help him in the long run! Also talk to his teacher or someone at the school about getting him the extra help that he needs!

• silverdawn99
    March 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM

i would let him continue on to the first grade and also work with him during the summer

people expect way too much from kindergartners

• manda-nicole010
    March 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I would work with him over the summer and THEN if I felt he hadn't improved I'd think about holding him back... 

• dawncs
    by dawncs
    March 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM

There are computer learning programs out there to help them learn kindergarten stuff. Some of the stuff is a lot of fun for the kids while they are learning. You might want to check out Leap Pad and also educational software out while shopping.

• Pukalani79
    March 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Are you supplementing at home? Starfall is a great online resource.  I'd work with him at home and through the summer and then go from there.

• ballerina18
    March 23, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Check out www.starfall.com

What exactly is he behind on? What did his teacher say?

• rmfanfgljf
    March 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM

My oldest dd was retained in Kinder last year. Her first kinder teacher didn't like her so my concerns over dd were put on the back burner..........she made me mad but it turned out for the better. My youngest dd will be retained in first grade this year, she can't read and can barley write, she isn't retaining information that is being given verbally, physically or visually, so her teacher is working up a case, and hopefully we can get her the help (non medicated) she needs before going into first grade again next year. Her teacher hasn't given up on her, and won't give up on her but see's my dd struggle every day, my dd tries her best but just doesn't "get it". If you feel it would also benefit him then I would do it.

• littlelamb303
    March 23, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I was a K teacher for 20 yrs and this is the time you would discuss it with parents(leaving them back). I always found that children that repeated K did much better the following year.  I never had a  parent regret holding them back, but I did have parents regret pushing them ahead.K is the year to do it though, not when they are older.  Children who are pushed ahead struggle and it gets worse as time goes on.

• ElizabethGracie
    March 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM

My mom teaches kindergarten and this is the time of year that she discusses retention with parents. She has had to retain students before and she says that they are much better prepared,socially,emotionally,academically and mentally to go into first grade the next year...Personally,I would rather have him repeat kindergarten and have him better prepared for next year than to have this pop in a later grade when it would be harder on him to stay back, kwim?

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN